U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:24 PM

26 posts, read 17,124 times

Advertisements

I am interested to hear other people's thoughts about the Bird/Lime scooters that I see virtually everywhere in downtown Raleigh. I hear Durham is going to pass something about them soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 12:31 PM

1,955 posts, read 910,265 times
I saw them downtown a little over a month ago. They are a good idea, but it sure would be nice if they were parked or left in a more organized fashion. Some were laying on the ground or just generally blocking the sidewalk.

It did surprise me when I saw three the other day just outside the Panera near the corner of Strickland and Six Forks. Not sure how they got there and how they would add any benefit, but, okay.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:33 PM

938 posts, read 605,591 times
Scooters?

I think we need to take care of the LimeBikes we already have here first. People leave them all over the place.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:39 PM

541 posts, read 344,189 times
They look cool, but I agree that people just abandon them all over the place.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:41 PM

3,895 posts, read 2,376,155 times
The National Association of City Transportation Officials has released guidelines that cities can easily apply to control the dockless bikes/scooters to address concerns from the public - I've been asking Raleigh's city council members to apply these regulations to Raleigh as well: https://nacto.org/wp-content/uploads...Guidelines.pdf
Page 27 onwards gives some examples of the different approaches cities have taken to deal with dockless bikes/scooters (no surprise, Raleigh is once again late to the party with this)

Apparently it will be up for discussion at Raleigh's city council meeting, October 16th.

I'm a big fan of the electric scooters/bikes in the downtown Raleigh area since they are great for short trips in areas where there's increased traffic and a shorter supply of parking. I love to ride my bike but let's be real - here in the south, more people are going to want an option that doesn't leave them at their destination sweating from head to toe in the summer.

Obviously there are some reasonable concerns - scooters shouldn't be ridden on the sidewalk, scooter users need to follow the same rules of the road as cars/bikes, and scooters need to be placed in a way that allows for accessibility on the sidewalk but I think these things will be fixed over time with increased education and familiarity.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:58 PM

3,932 posts, read 2,669,081 times
I saw a couple of these on Davis Drive in Morrisville recently. I sort of chuckled cause it seemed like such an odd location.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:05 PM

3,895 posts, read 2,376,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I saw a couple of these on Davis Drive in Morrisville recently. I sort of chuckled cause it seemed like such an odd location.
This weekend I went to the Clemson-Wake Forest game and before the game I went to Old Salem. The Bird scooters were distributed everywhere there. I was waiting to snap a picture of someone in period clothing riding one

On a serious note, there is some good data that cities can get if they require Bird/Lime to give it to them - they can figure out where people are going to/from and use that to prioritize any bicycle/pedestrian funding that is available. Bird has also indicated that it's willing to give $1/day per scooter to cities for bicycle infrastructure.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:27 PM

711 posts, read 3,706,989 times
Their range is >15 miles, so really they can be ridden just about anywhere. I've seen them along Maynard Rd in Cary. There are always several at Park West Village in Morrisville.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:45 PM

3,077 posts, read 4,989,904 times
Every time there's a paradigm shift in the way we get things done, it's unsettling for the establishment. Electric scooters are an excellent, environmentally friendly means of transportation that will require a bit more maturity before it's both completely embraced and effectively used.

Think about how many bumps in the virtual road both Uber and Lyft have had to go through before they became mainstream. Now it's ubiquitous, almost like we've always had them around.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:59 PM

3,932 posts, read 2,669,081 times
I think they're great as long as there's a set of rules to follow on the streets. I don't go to DT Raleigh often but it always seems those things are flying out of nowhere.

I give a lot of credit to the founder - it's such an amazing business idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary