Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:09 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
As long as they have the lunch buffet I'm happy
I doubt that any of this will impact the quality of the stores or their offerings. If anything, Wegmans prides itself on its brand and consistency amongst stores.

Since the Wake Forest Rd location is practically under construction, I assume that this will not impact that store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Wegman's delaying plans for opening its stores should not be a concern. It operates few stores in an expansive footprint.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:27 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Grocery is a tough business. Walmart, Sams/Costco/BJ, and now Amazon/Whole Foods. Meanwhile Publix has moved into the Triangle. There's a fine line between courage and recklessness, and the gap between success and failure is narrow. I can see why Wegmans has reconsidered.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:43 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Grocery is a tough business. Walmart, Sams/Costco/BJ, and now Amazon/Whole Foods. Meanwhile Publix has moved into the Triangle. There's a fine line between courage and recklessness, and the gap between success and failure is narrow. I can see why Wegmans has reconsidered.
I read the Herald Sun article and don't see how Wegman's has "reconsidered" anything. They've simply changed the size of one of the stores from 130,000 square feet to 103,000 square feet in order to eliminate a costly underground parking deck.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:54 PM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Exactly. Look at Kroger and Ikea, who are no dummies, pulling out of the Triangle as recent examples of corporate decisions to regroup and retrench to better compete in such a brutally competitive hyper-dynamic increasingly "Amazonized" retail/grocery market.

Also, remember Gander Mountain and Field & Stream here in the Triangle (Cary)?......... exactly. Talk about 1-year-wonders.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:59 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Are you suggesting that Wegman's has decided on a smaller footprint to avoid becoming a 1-year wonder?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 10-09-2018, 02:09 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Exactly. Look at Kroger and Ikea, who are no dummies, pulling out of the Triangle as recent examples of corporate decisions to regroup and retrench to better compete in such a brutally competitive hyper-dynamic increasingly "Amazonized" retail/grocery market.

Also, remember Gander Mountain and Field & Stream here in the Triangle (Cary)?......... exactly. Talk about 1-year-wonders.
Kroger bought Harris Teeter, so their pullout from the Triangle makes perfect sense...why would they compete with themselves?

Old 10-09-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Are you suggesting that Wegman's has decided on a smaller footprint to avoid becoming a 1-year wonder?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Well, without looking at their books, I'm suggesting if they over-extend themselves without pivoting fast enough in such a dynamic and competitive market it is not impossible to have stores under-perform enough to have current corporate, or new leadership, or new owners, take drastic actions -such as closing such stores even though they may have "just opened". Is that a run-on sentence?

Old 10-09-2018, 02:21 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Well, without looking at their books, I'm suggesting if they over-extend themselves without pivoting fast enough in such a dynamic and competitive market it is not impossible to have stores under-perform enough to have current corporate, or new leadership, or new owners, take drastic actions -such as closing such stores even though they may have "just opened". Is that a run-on sentence?

Spoken like someone who's never seen a Wegman's on a Saturday.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Spoken like someone who's never seen a Wegman's on a Saturday.
Hey, I wish Wegmans all the best. I hope they come in here and “kill it”. I’m just saying there is blood in the water and Bezos is circling. If these companies want to tread water and keep doing what they’ve been doing (opening x number of megastores every y number miles) then they are going to get bit. Ikea decided to change their stroke. Maybe Wegmans is too...not a crazy suggestion.

BTW, I hope I am totally wrong and Bezos doesn’t gut grocery like he has “disrupted” retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary