U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:05 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,841,244 times

Advertisements

I live in DT Raleigh and thus very familiar. Through the years I've visited DT Durham on occasion, most recently last week. Looking at the two downtowns, which is currently more popular and which has more future potential?

These are my impressions and pure opinions only as I don't know much of DT Durham.
Also, not trying to knock on one downtown or another as I appreciate what each has to offer.

DT Raleigh
-- More dense (everything seems closer and connected to each other, it's like a grid)
-- Fayetteville St and Glenwood South are the two major districts, joined by up and coming Warehouse District
-- More walkable, free bus, scooters
-- More businesses and company HQs (Citrix, RedHat, PNC, etc)
-- More government entities (due to being the Capital)?
-- More museums (History, Natural Sciences, CAM)
-- More residential/luxury apts
-- More up and coming retail stores (e.g. clothing, grocers)
-- Lots of festivities mostly centered around Fayetteville St
-- Evening still seems vibrant, people walking around, feel safe

DT Durham
-- Less dense, felt need to drive from Tobacco Campus to Brightleaf to City Center to Fullsteam
-- Right next to Highway I147 makes it seem more accessible than DT Raleigh
-- DBAC is nice for sports (none in DT Raleigh)
-- DPAC is much better than Performing Arts Center in DT Raleigh
-- Are there any museums in DT Durham?
-- Less residential/luxury apts although I saw a whole large area being built next to DBAC
-- Evening felt dead along Main St., not many people, safe?
-- Unsure about businesses and company HQ (other than Tobacco Campus area)
-- Any retail stores? Is bulldega only grocer?
-- Festivities?
-- Seems more diverse and popular restaurants/dining scene

Right now it would see DT Raleigh is more popular, although potential wise DT Durham could exceed DT Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 07:12 PM

9,780 posts, read 4,995,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I don't really agree with this. The only reason I go to DPAC is because they're under the Nederlander umbrella, and thus get the touring Broadway productions. But I think Duke is a better performing arts center in the sense that it offers more variety of venues. DPAC only has the one theater. Duke has four, and they're all very different and serve different purposes. And frankly, I've never been fond of the DPAC design. Too steep for my tastes.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:19 PM

3,542 posts, read 1,350,218 times
"Evening still seems vibrant, people walking around, feel safe."

that's the only thing that my wife requires.
that's why we go Raleigh vs. Durham.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 827,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I live in DT Raleigh and thus very familiar. Through the years I've visited DT Durham on occasion, most recently last week. Looking at the two downtowns, which is currently more popular and which has more future potential?

These are my impressions and pure opinions only as I don't know much of DT Durham.
Also, not trying to knock on one downtown or another as I appreciate what each has to offer.

DT Raleigh
-- More dense (everything seems closer and connected to each other, it's like a grid)
-- Fayetteville St and Glenwood South are the two major districts, joined by up and coming Warehouse District
-- More walkable, free bus, scooters
-- More businesses and company HQs (Citrix, RedHat, PNC, etc)
-- More government entities (due to being the Capital)?
-- More museums (History, Natural Sciences, CAM)
-- More residential/luxury apts
-- More up and coming retail stores (e.g. clothing, grocers)
-- Lots of festivities mostly centered around Fayetteville St
-- Evening still seems vibrant, people walking around, feel safe

DT Durham
-- Less dense, felt need to drive from Tobacco Campus to Brightleaf to City Center to Fullsteam
-- Right next to Highway I147 makes it seem more accessible than DT Raleigh
-- DBAC is nice for sports (none in DT Raleigh)
-- Are there any museums in DT Durham?
-- Less residential/luxury apts although I saw a whole large area being built next to DBAC
-- Evening felt dead along Main St., not many people, safe?
-- Unsure about businesses and company HQ (other than Tobacco Campus area)
-- Any retail stores? Is bulldega only grocer?
-- Festivities?
-- Seems more diverse and popular restaurants/dining scene

Right now it would see DT Raleigh is more popular, although potential wise DT Durham could exceed DT Raleigh?
Bold Red: Durham offers the Bull City Connector, a free route linking Golden Belt to Duke Hospital. It mainly goes down Main Street and Erwin Rd. The scooters are supposed to be coming soon.

Bold Blue: Downtown has retail, but not very much; You have Brightleaf Square and a couple of assorted shops throughout Downtown. There’s also two Pharmacies Downtown.

Technically, the Bulldega is the only grocery store in Downtown Durham BUT there is a Whole Foods, a Harris Teeter, and a Co-Op not too far from Downtown. There’s also a Food Lion or two not too far away.

Bold Green: Art of Cool Festival (Depends on time of year), Moogfest which is usually during the summer, and CenterFest in September to name a couple.

Bold Orange: You have a couple of Galleries (Through This Lens, The gallery next to Center Studio Architecture), The Durham History Hub (which never seems open when I go past it) and the art museum at the 21c Hotel.

Bold Purple: You went on a Weeknight or a Weekday? Downtown Durham noticeably gets busier on Weekend nights than Weekdays. Still not as busy as Downtown Raleigh on a compatible night.

Bold Maroon: Durham is adding housing at a pretty rapid pace. Within the last few years, we had:

One City Center, The BullHouse, Bell West End, Liberty Warehouse, the new building at West Village, and Whetstone. There’s also apartments going in on Main Street (Solis Main Street, The Bartlett), Mangum (Van Alen), and the The Apartments across from University Ford. If you add the Ninth Street area into the mix, then you have the apartments on Swift Ave, The two Berkshires, and the apartments on Ninth and Green.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 10-20-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 AM

75 posts, read 46,922 times
Some good, honest observations so far.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:54 AM

939 posts, read 502,893 times
Fair observations I would say. Im in DTR a lot but also DTD fairly decent amount as well. There's definitely a gap but not in a negative way meant to put DTD down at all. It's just significantly farther behind. Which there are a few different and obvious reasons for. But it's still a fun place to hang out. Tobacco Campus and Brightleaf are the highlights for me as well as DBAC being a positive over Raleigh as well. All of the new focus on residential too will do great things for making it feel more lively. The train tracks in my opinion kind of hurt the connectivity a bit I would say.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 AM

10,676 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Is it DBAC?? I always thought it was DBAP, Durham Bulls Athletic Park.

I think Durham has a little more of a creative vibe, more arts going on but both are fun places.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:28 AM

656 posts, read 460,561 times
I thought downtown Durham was more dense. It's a mile and half walk from Glenwood Ave to Fayetteville St. (from one end to another)

Old 10-22-2018, 11:00 AM

939 posts, read 502,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Is it DBAC?? I always thought it was DBAP, Durham Bulls Athletic Park.

I think Durham has a little more of a creative vibe, more arts going on but both are fun places.
You’re probably right. I was thinking Durham Bulls Athletic Complex but I think it is park.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,841,244 times
Thanks for all the very insightful feedback. I definitely plan to walk around DTD on the weekends.

Quote:
Bold Green: Art of Cool Festival (Depends on time of year), Moogfest which is usually during the summer, and CenterFest in September to name a couple.
Are festivals in DTD held at various locations? Do they happen often? In DTR, seems most of the events are held along Fayetteville St, and they are plentiful and often, almost 1-2 per month (e.g. Parades, Artsplosure, Sparkcon, Bikefest, NYE, Food Truck Rodeos, OutRaleigh, Marathons, Hopscotch, Bluegrass, International Festival, etc)

Quote:
It's just significantly farther behind. Which there are a few different and obvious reasons for.
Which obvious reasons?

Quote:
All of the new focus on residential too will do great things for making it feel more lively.
There must be demand for these residential so DTD must be doing something right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary