Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:24 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

each scooter needs about 10 sqft, and that's being generous (2 feet wide x 5 ft long).

Google tells me the typical car parking space is 9x20 = 180 sqft.

So, at 1,500 total scooters allowed we need 83 parking spaces in total to accommodate 100% of the scooter traffic. Do I have that right?

There's easily 35 blocks in Glenwood South. 1 space per block should be plenty. There are at least 90 blocks in the downtown core (Peace to MLK, RR Tracks to East St). So a little more than 1 bird spot every 2 blocks.

Have I done my math right? Do we make it every other block in Glenwood South, and get more frequent Downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 07:46 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
each scooter needs about 10 sqft, and that's being generous (2 feet wide x 5 ft long).

Google tells me the typical car parking space is 9x20 = 180 sqft.

So, at 1,500 total scooters allowed we need 83 parking spaces in total to accommodate 100% of the scooter traffic. Do I have that right?

There's easily 35 blocks in Glenwood South. 1 space per block should be plenty. There are at least 90 blocks in the downtown core (Peace to MLK, RR Tracks to East St). So a little more than 1 bird spot every 2 blocks.

Have I done my math right? Do we make it every other block in Glenwood South, and get more frequent Downtown?
Hey Bo, just let me live in my Utopian dream! Haha - I know it's totally not realistic, at least some parts of it and currently (and you're right about the human behavior part of it as well). But it would be pretty cool if it did happen. I don't think you need to completely cut off traffic to the pedestrian/bike/scooter streets so it doesn't turn into "dead pedestrian mall" Fayetteville Street, but discourage enough vehicles where people feel safer using the road for non-vehicular uses.

Some cities are doing something like this:

Denver - https://www.denvergov.org/content/da...-printable.pdf (long document but page 151 shows this strategy)
Seattle - https://www.kuow.org/stories/u-distr...to-pedestrians

I think you've done the math right and I doubt all of them will be placed downtown so maybe even less lost parking spots

Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
Please just don’t block my sidewalk, or run over my children.

That “last mile” b.s that the scooter companies talk about is my normal walk to most things important. You have two legs and can (hopefully) make them work. I would also request you don’t run over my children on the sidewalk. They are kind of important to me, and need those sidewalks to walk to school, their friends’ houses, and the local shops. The city of Raleigh has been grossly neglegant in the regulation of these scooters, and those select idiot contractors that place them directly across the right of ways have been an ordinance-violating criminal nuisance. The a$$clowns who ride them on the sidewalks, and then leave them strewn about in the right of way are also at fault. Don’t make me get Medieval on all yall’s a$$es. I don’t want to have to declare “Shenanigans!”. I say “Lawn Darts” and the Plaintiffs’ Lawyers come a runnin’. Oh, and in discovery, there is quite a GPS and credit card paper trail... Now, get off my lawn...

Oh, I would still be happy to ride one on the street, wearing a cool and sporty (responsible) helmet, and park it at a nifty bike rack, but yeah, other people are why we can’t have such nice things... kids and all.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:23 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
The interesting thing is you noticed the scooter safety while driving a car, which is the most dangerous thing you do each day and activity most likely to result in your death if you are under the age of 45. The thing that stood out though, was the scooter safety since they are new. You probably didn't notice the pedestrians hesitantly entering a crosswalk while a driver crossed the limit line and pulled halfway into the cross walk before stopping. Or the driver who turned into a parking garage and cut between two pedestrian on the sidewalk with less than 2 feet to spare. Or the driver who failed to yield to a pedestrian in the cross walk because they were on their phone and texting and the pedestrian had to run across to finish safely, etc... None of these cars things would stand out because we are so used to pedestrians having to be super careful around cars. Cars hit around 3,000 pedestrians in North Carolina each year, with pedestrian fatalities making up ~11% of traffic deaths statewide.

Further, the scooter behavior sounds a lot like cars, which isn't surprising since humans are irresponsible users of transportation technology (speeding, drunk driving, cell phones, etc...). We have cars zipping down the streets, typically going 10 - 20 miles per hour over the speed limit, with the driver on their cell phone, and slamming into people at 45 mph and killing them. Scooter regulation will only be as good as car regulations - which is essentially worthless with people who are irresponsible. They will make poor decisions whether the law is there or not.

Any mode of transportation (bikes, walking, cars, etc...) has risk. The focus people we have on these scooters that have yet to result in a fatality isn't surprising though as we have become numb and in general accept the risk it takes to drive a car... even though it takes one person running a red light and slamming into you at 60 mph to end your life. We have accepted the trade off of death and injury from cars though due to the efficiency we gain in life.

Most people aren't going to die getting hit by a 10mph scooter on the sidewalk, but they are new so our senses are elevated to it. I think over time, as we see the value in scooter improving transit and walkability in our cities, we will see people accept the trade offs versus the benefits (much like we tolerate car deaths).
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
... but how is that any worse than having lines of cars parked in spaces that could be used for other things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
How are scooters any different than bicycles? So what's next, holding Schwinn and Huffy responsible for making sure adolescents park their bikes properly?

And an eyesore or worse? Now who's being all snowflakey?
You all are making too much sense for this forum and all of its curmudgeons yelling at clouds for being in the sky ... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Just ban cars in the downtown city limits.

Aha!

Old 10-24-2018, 07:30 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
As Durham and Raleigh officials continue to ponder what to do about these incredibly fun scooters (y'all should try one if you haven't already) that you've probably seen throughout the Triangle, now the scooter companies are facing a lawsuit!!!

UGH!

People always wanna ruin the fun

The nation’s electronic-scooter companies are facing more blowback as concerns rise about the safety of these devices — this time in the form of a class-action lawsuit filed Friday in California.
The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, accuses two of the largest e-scooter companies, Lime and Bird, as well as other e-scooter firms, of “gross negligence” and “aiding and abetting assault.”

...Three plaintiffs claim they were walking when e-scooter riders crashed into them from behind, resulting in severe injuries. The suit alleges that e-scooter companies knew their riders were injuring pedestrians and –– by failing to stop the collisions from occurring –– assisted and encouraged scooter riders as they committed “assaults.” - Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.549843f67224
I wanted to go back to the original post and emphasize the statement "People always wanna ruin the fun". While I'm sure the OP was intending to point out that lawyers and, ahem, "curmudgeons" were the guilty parties, I would point out that, if the people riding the scooters had stayed within respectable parameters - ya know, NOT riding on the sidewalk and NOT colliding with pedestrians - this thread likely wouldn't exist.

It's not the presence of the scooters that are an issue here - I have yet to hear one person say that scooters need to be banned - all anyone is asking is that the person riding the scooter take responsibility for their actions. That means, making sure you are aware of your safety AND the safety of others and putting the scooter in a spot that doesn't include creating obstacles for others. If that was done, there would be no need to talk of designating parking spots or anything else.

It just shouldn't be that hard.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:03 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I don't understand why people have to resort to name calling when people disagree with them.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Yes, reds37win! The people ruining things are the irresponsible ****s behaving like children. If they showed some responsibility and common decency, no one would object.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:29 AM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I love these scooters and I wish we had them in Chicago. Chicago has an extensive dock bike program, but the dock gives you less flexibility. Sometimes you have to walk 5-10min to a dock, then another 5-10min from the destination dock to where you are trying to go.

Having them piled up on the sidewalks is annoying, but how is that any worse than having lines of cars parked in spaces that could be used for other things?
Chicago has car2go, the same concept but with real cars. We have... scooters. Be happy you can rent a Mercedes whenever you want and leave it wherever you want.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:42 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
How are scooters any different than bicycles? So what's next, holding Schwinn and Huffy responsible for making sure adolescents park their bikes properly?

And an eyesore or worse? Now who's being all snowflakey?
This is just silly. Do we need to point out the logical fallacy? Do we need to point out the obvious differences that make your point moot (and silly)? Okay, I'll play ... Schwinn and Huffy didn't drop a crap ton of bicycles on our city and start charging people money to ride them. When you ride a Schwinn or a Huffy, you are riding a vehicle that YOU own; Schwinn and Huffy no longer own (i.e., bear responsibility for) the bike you are riding. See where I'm going here?

Old 10-24-2018, 09:37 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You really don't see a difference between cars parked in a straight line along the curb and scooters strewn across the sidewalk wherever people decide to drop them?
A large chunk of space is set aside for vehicles, yet we can't make small spaces on every street corner for a few scooters?

I'm all for these scooters because anything we can do to eliminate the need to drive a car is a +1 in my book. People who live and work in downtown areas can use these scooters to commute to work or go shopping, etc. These scooters are popular because so many cities don't have good public transit, but people are wanting an urban lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Chicago has car2go, the same concept but with real cars. We have... scooters. Be happy you can rent a Mercedes whenever you want and leave it wherever you want.
Few people use those because parking is such a pain. They are really only for people who need a car for a few hours to go to Costco.

Also, you might be 2mi from the nearest car, rendering it pretty much useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary