Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:52 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

If schools are a deterrent, the Pizza Situation is likely a complete deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 05:03 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
We enrolled our daughter in (gasp) public elementary here and every day is just making cornbread and watching replays of Tarheels BBall games. Very disconcerting.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:19 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
We enrolled our daughter in (gasp) public elementary here and every day is just making cornbread and watching replays of Tarheels BBall games. Very disconcerting.
On a TELLYVISION??? My kids school done gone and got they-selves chalk and slate fer the riting lessin. You are ahead of us!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:35 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If schools are a deterrent, the Pizza Situation is likely a complete deal breaker.
Not to mention the bagel situation.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:38 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
WHOA pump the breaks. Nothing wrong with that. In fact during March Madness ACC games were and still are very often watched in the classroom. Haha

Old 10-23-2018, 08:46 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
On a TELLYVISION??? My kids school done gone and got they-selves chalk and slate fer the riting lessin. You are ahead of us!
If only I could rep you again this soon.

Just be sure to teach them to use the stick to check down the outhouse before they sit to do their business.

Snakes.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:08 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
My son Cletus and daughter Ellie May have had a quality education here in the south. Their mom and I are from NY (albeit different parts). We see no problems with the educational structure here and they have had some amazing teachers. I am glad that my kids didn't go to school in Queens/ LI (where I'm from). Here, there's a lot less social pressure, not like the *******s up there.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:01 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
Y'all need come on down, just for the dose of Dixie humor.

I grew up in the Midwest, but lived on Long Island and then Princeton, New Jersey for 13 years post-college. Our oldest was just about to start kindergarten in one of the highest-ranked districts in New Jersey, when we moved to North Carolina.

So, now I have 3 kids in public schools here, and they are all getting a good base education. I make very sure that they do, and it sounds like you and your SO would do so as well. As a previous poster said, anybody who is providing a solid home life and involved in their kids' education, will probably do fine.

It isn't perfect. Their base public schools are overcrowded, and there have been funding cuts that affect all areas. But I'm still confident they'll be competitive when it comes to college admittance, and basic life preparation.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 AM

37 posts, read 39,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
My girl and I are having a bit of a disagreement about education in the south vs. north. We are both from the northeast and she would prefer our kids do K-12 in NY where we did. I don't think it's worth the cost of living and miserable weather. Not to mention overall pessimism that seems to be prevalent in this state.

She, along with many people in the northeast, feels like K-12 education in NY is gonna be a much better bet than anywhere in the south. I'm trying to get her to understand that this isn't 1875 anymore and the south has come a long way. This is the only thing that's preventing her from permanently keeping our family in the south, where I would absolutely prefer to be.

We aren't looking to put our kids in private schools. Are public schools in Raleigh/Cary/Apex/Holly Springs (I mention these cities specifically because we like all of these areas) generally that bad compared to other states? I don't see how they could be all that bad with the influx of high earning transplants relocating their children to these areas.

Please help me prove my significant other wrong.
I have no experience with NY schools, but my oldest child went to 9 different schools (in NC, HI and a couple of different states on the west coast) before going to college. I've lived in 3 parts of NC though, and so far, the best schools my kids have gone to have been in Fuquay-Varina and Holly Springs. We actually live an hour away from work so they can go to these schools.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
Thank you to everyone who gave positive, helpful information. I understand how some of you might feel I was taking a jab at the south, but believe me, it's the opposite. I don't want my future generations growing up here in NY and feeling stuck like I do. My significant other and I are far from entitled. We are both from lower class immigrant families so the overall mentality of both families is to "appreciate what you have and stay put" versus "seek a better opportunity in another state".

For those that care, we are taking a trip down south next year to tour houses in Raleigh/Charlotte/Greensboro/Winston-Salem. I already know the Raleigh area pretty well as I've lived there for over a year now. So I'm hoping she'll enjoy it as I do and she'll be more comfortable with a move.

I'm pretty comfortable with the education system in NC at this point. It'd be nice to find a dual language school, but that's more of a luxury than an absolute necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary