Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times

Advertisements

My girl and I are having a bit of a disagreement about education in the south vs. north. We are both from the northeast and she would prefer our kids do K-12 in NY where we did. I don't think it's worth the cost of living and miserable weather. Not to mention overall pessimism that seems to be prevalent in this state.

She, along with many people in the northeast, feels like K-12 education in NY is gonna be a much better bet than anywhere in the south. I'm trying to get her to understand that this isn't 1875 anymore and the south has come a long way. This is the only thing that's preventing her from permanently keeping our family in the south, where I would absolutely prefer to be.

We aren't looking to put our kids in private schools. Are public schools in Raleigh/Cary/Apex/Holly Springs (I mention these cities specifically because we like all of these areas) generally that bad compared to other states? I don't see how they could be all that bad with the influx of high earning transplants relocating their children to these areas.

Please help me prove my significant other wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 12:35 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
I have no idea exactly what information would cause your "girl" to change her mind, but there are some excellent schools both in the specific areas you mentioned, as well as other areas of NC and the south. There are some not so good ones too.

Here is a great website with lots of detailed information about individual schools. Just be aware that many of the school performance measures are directly correlated to factors like parents educational levels, incomes, etc. This means that just because a school has high test schools, it does not necessarily mean your child will succeed there, not does it mean another child won't succeed in a lower performing school.

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Perhaps getting her to actually visit some of the schools and interact with the staff and teachers would ease her fears. Maybe once she sees that all the students are wearing shoes she'll feel better.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:36 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
If that's how she feels you're NEVER gonna convince her otherwise. Never. Doesn't matter what we say. part of the problem is your "girl" believes that location is the determinant factor of how one's education goes, excluding the child's abilities (or lack thereof) and your involvement. And she's definitely drunk the northeast Kool Aid.

I've met plenty of people who are like her and it will never be good enough for her here.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:36 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I have no idea exactly what information would cause your "girl" to change her mind, but there are some excellent schools both in the specific areas you mentioned, as well as other areas of NC and the south. There are some not so good ones too.

Here is a great website with lots of detailed information about individual schools. Just be aware that many of the school performance measures are directly correlated to factors like parents educational levels, incomes, etc. This means that just because a school has high test schools, it does not necessarily mean your child will succeed there, not does it mean another child won't succeed in a lower performing school.

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src
Solid resource. Thanks so much.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:10 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
My girl and I are having a bit of a disagreement about education in the south vs. north. We are both from the northeast and she would prefer our kids do K-12 in NY where we did. I don't think it's worth the cost of living and miserable weather. Not to mention overall pessimism that seems to be prevalent in this state.

She, along with many people in the northeast, feels like K-12 education in NY is gonna be a much better bet than anywhere in the south. I'm trying to get her to understand that this isn't 1875 anymore and the south has come a long way. This is the only thing that's preventing her from permanently keeping our family in the south, where I would absolutely prefer to be.

We aren't looking to put our kids in private schools. Are public schools in Raleigh/Cary/Apex/Holly Springs (I mention these cities specifically because we like all of these areas) generally that bad compared to other states? I don't see how they could be all that bad with the influx of high earning transplants relocating their children to these areas.

My .02 is that if you need special services, generally speaking a highly rated district in the Midwest or NE is a better bet.

If you have typically developing children then I have a difficult time believing that your schools in NY will do a better job educating your kids than what they'll receive here. A child with Autism or other concerns would change my tune.

Almost any great school has a lot of kids from educated, successful parents. Its easy to shine when Mom and Dad read to the kid, feed them well, have a stable home, and participate in the process. Wake County Schools demonstrate that; since they're funded by the county, a teacher in Cary gets paid the same as a teacher in Eastern Wake County or anywhere else in the county, and the schools (in theory) get the same resources.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:38 PM

120 posts, read 97,752 times
We used to live in Minnesota, awsome schools. When we decided to move, all our friends were telling us that schools are very bad here and education is not good and etc.. and etc...Anyway we moved...my daughter goes to school here and we are pretty happy about it and she loves it here, doesnt want even to hear about Minnesota and the cold winters . We spend each single weekend out and enjoying the nice weather, we even enjoyed the hot summer here And besides if you are not happy here, you can always move back, so why not try it out

Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post

This area has been fine since long before the "educated masses" fled NY to move here and grace us with their money and brilliance.

LOL.

Did you think we all rode around on pigs here before that?

Is "your girl" aware that we've got a high concentration of highly-rated educational institutions here that have been in operation for well over 200 years?

I'm really just being sarcastic, because we also understand sarcasm... one must understand all forms of irony to grow up in a place where people think you must be a dimwit because of the Civil War.

Anyway... I agree with twingles. If your other half already thinks she and your progeny are too good for NC schools, you won't be able to say a thing in the world to convince her you should moved here, buy a new house and become relative land barons compared to how far those dollars will take you in NY, buddy.

Trust me. We have seen this here MANY times. You're not the first to have a partner with this mindset.

p.s. I'm married to a transplant. I'm just a smartass.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
his girl should make us all question the quality of a NY education.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:03 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This area has been fine since long before the "educated masses" fled NY to move here and grace us with their money and brilliance.

LOL.

Did you think we all rode around on pigs here before that?

Is "your girl" aware that we've got a high concentration of highly-rated educational institutions here that have been in operation for well over 200 years?

I'm really just being sarcastic, because we also understand sarcasm... one must understand all forms of irony to grow up in a place where people think you must be a dimwit because of the Civil War.

Anyway... I agree with twingles. If your other half already thinks she and your progeny are too good for NC schools, you won't be able to say a thing in the world to convince her you should moved here, buy a new house and become relative land barons compared to how far those dollars will take you in NY, buddy.

Trust me. We have seen this here MANY times. You're not the first to have a partner with this mindset.

p.s. I'm married to a transplant. I'm just a smartass.
I want to like this many, many times.

Even in 1875 you could get a quality education in NC.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:48 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Please leave your "girl" in NY. We already have plenty of northerners here who feel superior. And we aren't hurting for business, so ... thanks anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary