Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2006, 09:51 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm considering moving from Holly Springs to Wake Forest (Dansforth, Burlington Mills Rd). Is there anything I should know about the area?

For example...
- How's the crime in that area?
- Does anyone have any negative feelings about that area in general?
- I'm commuting to RTP....how bad is the traffic during rush hour on US-1 between Burlington Mills Rd and I-540?
- I see on the Wake Forest web site, NCDOT is planning to turn US-1 into a limited access highway, but I haven't seen any timetable. Does anyone have any information on this?
- Any thoughts on what property values will be doing in this area compared to the rest of the county?
- I get the impression that the schools in the area are about average for the county. Is that accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 11:21 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Hi all,

I'm considering moving from Holly Springs to Wake Forest (Dansforth, Burlington Mills Rd). Is there anything I should know about the area?

For example...
- How's the crime in that area?
- Does anyone have any negative feelings about that area in general?
- I'm commuting to RTP....how bad is the traffic during rush hour on US-1 between Burlington Mills Rd and I-540?
- I see on the Wake Forest web site, NCDOT is planning to turn US-1 into a limited access highway, but I haven't seen any timetable. Does anyone have any information on this?
- Any thoughts on what property values will be doing in this area compared to the rest of the county?
- I get the impression that the schools in the area are about average for the county. Is that accurate?
Crime....Wake Forest isn't exactly a hot bed of crime....it's probably very low compared to other areas around.

Every day it is slow (stop and roll) from Burlington Mills Rd to Durant and often to 540...plan on it taking longer then you think.

I have no information on 1 turning into a limted access.

Property values are climbing slowly....which I think is best anyway. Prices certainly aren't about to fall from all signs.

Which school are you talking about? There are several elementaries in the area (Wake Forest Magnet, Jones Diary, Heritage)....two middle schools.....and I think some folks in that area actually go to Wakefield....so....it really depends. There is always Franklin Academy and St. Catherine's as well.

I haven't heard any real complaints about any of the schools and we throughly enjoyed our time at Wake Forest Magnet. None my my daughter's friends or their parents, go to the WF-R Middle or Heritage Middle schools are complaining. (We are at Ligon, obviously no complaint there.)

They all do have quality teachers and such...however, so much depends on how motivated the kids are and the priority the parents place on education. You are always going to have some kids that just don't want to do well no matter what you offer them.

Remember also that children in Wake Forest can apply for (by lottery) any of the magnet schools. (A few require other requirements....but it's an option for many.)

Old 12-15-2006, 12:31 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,017 times
Crime: low, probably on par with Holly Springs

Traffic: US-1 is pretty slow - I drive it every day around 7:45 AM after dropping my kids off. It takes about 15 minutes to get from Burlington Mills to 540, sometimes more, sometimes less, usually FEELS like more. Coming from Holly Springs, if your idea of bad traffic is US1/64 or hwy55, it's not like that, at all, since it's a shorter stretch of road that backs up. You're probably looking at 30-35 minutes to get to RTP.

There is a proposal to turn US1 into a limited access road, taking it over Durant Road as an overpass and widening it north to Wake Forest. This has been indefinitely postponed, and it is not the only proposal out there. The biggest problem with the widening of Capital Blvd. from Durant to Wake Forest is not the road itself, since the shoulder is already pretty wide. It's the bridge over the Neuse, which will have to be redone. yuk, and expensive.

Schools: For Dansforth, you've got Rolesville Elem, WF-Rolesville Middle, and WF-R High, OR year round Heritage Elem and Heritage Middle. Double check your address at wcpss.net. Look at the scores at ncreportcards.com. IMO, these are all great schools. When I was teaching, I never heard anything negative, and my own kid is at Heritage Elementary, and we love it.

Property values: hmmm, after consulting my crystal ball... seriously, Wake Forest has seen some tremendous growth, especially in that part of town. 540 has made it accessible to areas that it previously wasn't, and all of the retail that has gone in along US-1 is an indicator of this. If you look at the plans along 401, both retail and residential, as well as all of the growth in and around Heritage, I think what you're seeing is that this is a "hot", desireable area that should show good appreciation, especially as the neighborhoods are built out.

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2006, 05:07 PM

10 posts, read 143,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
Crime: low, probably on par with Holly Springs

Traffic: US-1 is pretty slow - I drive it every day around 7:45 AM after dropping my kids off. It takes about 15 minutes to get from Burlington Mills to 540, sometimes more, sometimes less, usually FEELS like more. Coming from Holly Springs, if your idea of bad traffic is US1/64 or hwy55, it's not like that, at all, since it's a shorter stretch of road that backs up. You're probably looking at 30-35 minutes to get to RTP.

There is a proposal to turn US1 into a limited access road, taking it over Durant Road as an overpass and widening it north to Wake Forest. This has been indefinitely postponed, and it is not the only proposal out there. The biggest problem with the widening of Capital Blvd. from Durant to Wake Forest is not the road itself, since the shoulder is already pretty wide. It's the bridge over the Neuse, which will have to be redone. yuk, and expensive.

Schools: For Dansforth, you've got Rolesville Elem, WF-Rolesville Middle, and WF-R High, OR year round Heritage Elem and Heritage Middle. Double check your address at wcpss.net. Look at the scores at ncreportcards.com. IMO, these are all great schools. When I was teaching, I never heard anything negative, and my own kid is at Heritage Elementary, and we love it.

Property values: hmmm, after consulting my crystal ball... seriously, Wake Forest has seen some tremendous growth, especially in that part of town. 540 has made it accessible to areas that it previously wasn't, and all of the retail that has gone in along US-1 is an indicator of this. If you look at the plans along 401, both retail and residential, as well as all of the growth in and around Heritage, I think what you're seeing is that this is a "hot", desireable area that should show good appreciation, especially as the neighborhoods are built out.

Good luck!
Where can you get the information for the plans on 401?

thanks

Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 AM

35 posts, read 129,949 times
Default Moving To Wake Forest

Hi there,

I am new to this thread but have a similar question. We are moving from NH to NC. We are not sure where to move to at the moment and are open to suggestions! Can you give an estimated time for a commute from Wake Forest to RTP?

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2007, 07:05 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,017 times
Depending what time it is, traffic, where you are in Wake Forest, (and how fast you drive!) it's anywhere from 30-45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary