Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 12:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,230,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I got the exact opposite sentiment from the OP. Her kid doesn't fit the mold and she's fine with that - she wants someplace where there ISN'T a mold.
I disagree. I think public school is more diverse than private or charter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 12:59 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,334,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Demographically perhaps. But thats not what Twingles is talking about. He/she is talking about academics; specifically the academic constraints impose by state standards. His/her previous post was very clear on that point.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Demographically perhaps. But thats not what Twingles is talking about. He/she is talking about academics; specifically the academic constraints impose by state standards. His/her previous post was very clear on that point.
I guess my point is, it's middle school and it seems silly to me to uproot a kid from his current school and friends because you don't think that school is academically sufficient for your child. Just my opinion though.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I guess my point is, it's middle school and it seems silly to me to uproot a kid from his current school and friends because you don't think that school is academically sufficient for your child. Just my opinion though.
You're assuming the student is otherwise happy with his school situation. The OP said nothing about that, but did say that he (the student) wants to succeed academically. Sounds as if he is probably ok with changing schools. This is another great example of people's seeming inability to simple answer the question as asked on this forum with assuming things making sweeping judgments.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,560,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
problem is there's no time for challenging teachers and thoughtful debate. Teachers need to plow through material and get it done so they can test, test, test the kids. My sister is a teacher and she showed me her science lesson for the day the other day. It was 10 pages front and back, small print. She's like "This is what I have to get through in one day. In 30 minutes. With 30 nine and ten year olds".
If I had a kid like this I would home school if possible. Private school is an option because there's no constant state and federal mandated testing. Teachers can teach the way they want. But, it's expensive.
For what it's worth, my parents switched me to a private school for middle school and I asked to go back to a public school for high school. Switching to a private school isn't necessarily a guarantee - the chances of succeeding might be higher at a place that is a better fit but it's not foolproof (and is an expensive solution like you noted).

I'm no parent though so I'm just speaking from my own personal experience haha. That's a great question though that others brought up - does your son want to switch schools or is this your own idea?

Old 12-01-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
For what it's worth, my parents switched me to a private school for middle school and I asked to go back to a public school for high school. Switching to a private school isn't necessarily a guarantee - the chances of succeeding might be higher at a place that is a better fit but it's not foolproof (and is an expensive solution like you noted).

I'm no parent though so I'm just speaking from my own personal experience haha. That's a great question though that others brought up - does your son want to switch schools or is this your own idea?
I assume you meant to address this to the OP?

Old 12-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You're assuming the student is otherwise happy with his school situation. The OP said nothing about that, but did say that he (the student) wants to succeed academically. Sounds as if he is probably ok with changing schools. This is another great example of people's seeming inability to simple answer the question as asked on this forum with assuming things making sweeping judgments.
This forum probably wouldn't exist without opinion and debate. The more posts the more revenue.

Anyhow, that's why I asked the OP if the child wanted to switch schools.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:40 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,560,739 times
Quote:
I assume you meant to address this to the OP?
Yeah - I was both attempting to respond to Twingles and reiterate the question others have asked to the OP.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
This forum probably wouldn't exist without opinion and debate. The more posts the more revenue.

Anyhow, that's why I asked the OP if the child wanted to switch schools.
Opinion and debate isn't the same as off topic and judgmental. And I have no concern nor care about this board's profitability. For the users of this board, its simply about exchanging information and obtaining pertinent information.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:35 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,651,816 times
Quote:
She didn't ask for diversity. She asked for a school where her son's unique approach to being educated would be honored.

And I'll disagree with you on the diversity in private schools. I've seen the sports rosters at some of the private schools around here, they are as diverse as the public schools. Exception would be Gibbons but that's a Catholic school.

As far as the child's opinion....well, I'm not a fan of letting tweens make life decisions. We sent one of our kids to Gibbons and to say he was not happy would be the understatement of the century. Four years later he admits it was the right decision, has loved it, and is glad he went there.

A chid who is that academically advanced (and they exist, even if the rest of us with normal kids get sick of everyone thinking their kid is a special snowflake) is usually astute enough to want to go somewhere that's best for them even if it means switching schools. I know plenty of kids who would love to go to private school even though it would mean leaving behind good friends. Mine just wasn't one of them LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: