Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberlinSouth View Post
50's shows were Honeymooner's and I Love Lucy, 60's was Andy Griffith and Beverly Hillbillies, 70's was Brady Bunch and Happy Days, 80's was Cosby show and Roseanne, 90's was Friends and Seinfield. They want to go live the lives that they saw on TV, that their parents didn't have. From now on TV won't have as much influence as the internet, but I still believe it's cyclical. Cities become the hot spot to move to, then their kids will all want to move to the suburbs because the simple life of Green Acres comes back around.
A few interesting trends have popped up though - people no longer stay with the same job their whole career so there is a lot of moving parts and people shifting jobs every few years or so.

Also (may be related to the above and people focusing more on their careers), people are waiting a little longer to get married/start a family so that might delay the move to the suburbs a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
The job opportunities and salaries and opportunities for advancement and security. There are places in smaller cities where someone has to die before a job opens up. You can work in Manhattan and live in Staten Island or NJ and commute. Many people who work in Manhattan live in the burbs. You can hang out in Manhattan all you want on the weekends, after work, etc., and still have a relatively normal cost of living, own a car, have a nice apartment, eventually buy a house, raise a family, etc. if you are willing to commute 60 to 90 minutes one way. I used the commute to read and sleep. Did it for my whole career.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 AM

454 posts, read 495,262 times
Some people want to experience something outside their tiny, "safe", boring bubbles? (The plot of 50% of 80s brat pack movies? haha)

I've lived all over and finally did a full circle back to NC. I wouldn't give up my life experiences for anything and no, it wasn't always easy. I learned a lot about others and myself. I got to work with people and in places that were exciting and different. I wish more people would go out and experience things they're not familiar with.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Been to Buffalo a few times....it's actually a pretty cool place.
I sort of follow urban planning on the side (when I'm not reading articles about traffic/transportation) and Buffalo is doing a lot of interesting/creative things in that arena for a city of its size (which IMO ever rust belt city should be looking into to revitalize their cities and making it more attractive for people to move to)

Today I read an article about how they are looking into converting a grain silo in Buffalo to a rooftop bar: https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/11/o...-viewing-deck/

Last edited by pierretong1991; 12-11-2018 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-11-2018, 07:58 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I sort of follow urban planning on the side (when I'm not reading articles about traffic/transportation) and Buffalo is doing a lot of interesting/creative spaces in that arena for a city of its size (which IMO ever rust belt city should be looking into to revitalize their cities and making it more attractive for people to move to)

Today I read an article about how they are looking into converting a grain silo in Buffalo to a rooftop bar: https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/11/o...-viewing-deck/
PLUS.....Buffalo wings....if you introduce something that amazing to the world....you've earned your spot as a cool city.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
PLUS.....Buffalo wings....if you introduce something that amazing to the world....you've earned your spot as a cool city.
Quote:
Few of us realize, though, that less than 50 years ago, wings were considered one of the least desirable cuts of the chicken—a throwaway part often cooked into stock—and “buffalo” was just a wooly ungulate that wandered the Plains.

Despite the recency of the invention, the event itself is shrouded in mystery. Nevertheless, there is one thing we know for certain: the “buffalo” in the name definitively refers to the city in Western New York. The most authoritative account is by New Yorker writer Calvin Trillin, who investigated the dish’s history in 1980 as he sampled the city’s most well-regarded wing joints. He presented two competing versions of how a stroke of serendipity led Teressa Bellissimo, proprietor of the Anchor Bar, to invent the dish in 1964.

Her husband Frank Bellissimo, who founded the bar with Teressa in 1939, told Trillin that the invention involved a mistake—the delivery of chicken wings, instead of necks, which the family typically used when cooking up spaghetti sauce. To avoid wasting the wings, he asked Teressa to concoct a bar appetizer; the result was the wing we know today.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...wing-10260772/

Old 12-12-2018, 11:46 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
My daughter grew up in Raleigh...lives in Buffalo now.
That is sad.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:49 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
That is sad.
That is an unnecessary cheap shot.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:06 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
That is an unnecessary cheap shot.
Huh? There's a reason more people move out of Buffalo than move out of Raleigh lol.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:21 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Huh? There's a reason more people move out of Buffalo than move out of Raleigh lol.
So? Poggly said: "She likes it there. She does think its cool like others said." You don't need to chime in with an ignorant, snarky comment about someone you don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary