Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 AM

17 posts, read 58,398 times

Advertisements

I'm in the area around Lynn Road/Ray Road... I guess that sort of North West, though more North. It strikes me as very nice and not much trouble that I've heard about. Of late, however, there seem to be a spate of apartment fires in the vicinity. (Would like to know what THAT'S all about). But on the whole, it seems rather safe and uneventful in our neck of the North Raleigh woods.

As other are saying, there's been a general decline on the northeastern frontiers... but that's been metastasizing for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:38 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
Quote:
OK I might sound like a fool since I've lived here almost 2 years, but what is/where is mini-city?
Generally around the intersection of Capital & Millbrook. Years ago, it was all soccer fields out there where Target, Sam's, etc are now and also in the other direction toward The Home Depot (Burrage music was the LONE building, sticking up like a little box! Hard to believe, huh!) and I think that's part of where the "mini-city" name came from.

Yes, it is sad how the northern Capital Blvd corridor has declined; Brentwood was a fine family neighborhood in the 1970s, but look at it now.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:47 AM

3,297 posts, read 8,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Generally around the intersection of Capital & Millbrook. Years ago, it was all soccer fields out there where Target, Sam's, etc are now and also in the other direction toward The Home Depot (Burrage music was the LONE building, sticking up like a little box! Hard to believe, huh!) and I think that's part of where the "mini-city" name came from.

Yes, it is sad how the northern Capital Blvd corridor has declined; Brentwood was a fine family neighborhood in the 1970s, but look at it now.
Weird because I've been there several times for shopping and never felt like it was any worse then most other places.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:22 PM

149 posts, read 514,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Weird because I've been there several times for shopping and never felt like it was any worse then most other places.
shopping is fine- its living there that is when you notice the down side of the neighborhood...

Old 04-07-2008, 02:29 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalzoo View Post
shopping is fine- its living there that is when you notice the down side of the neighborhood...
Even shopping will clue the astute in. Lowe's Foods and Food Lion have armed security every evening.

My son was front end lead at Lowe's Foods. Many very nasty thieves preyed on the store and shoppers.

A murder not too long ago over wholesale drugs at Remington on the Green Apts.

You might not see the danger jumping at you, but trust me it is there.

I was community watch captain at my apt community there.

Avoid Mini-City if you value your safety and property.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 PM

108 posts, read 493,898 times
I agree we should never let our guard down even in areas w/ very low crime.
One big safety concern, particularly w/ young children is traffic, even in fairly upscale residential areas lie Bedford and Falls River.
You may want to chec out a neighborhood at all hours and days to see how things from different perspectives.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,810,770 times
Born and raised in N. Raleigh and love most of it. I don't particularly care for the area's up and down Capital Blvd though.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,432,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I lived on New Hope Rd & Capital for 8 years and watched Mini-City sink.
I know what you mean.
We lived in Hedingham in the late 80's/early 90's and shopped at mini city all the time. I remember when soccer fields graced what is now target and Lowes.

I don't know how much lower the mini city -new hope/new hope church road area can sink.. remember the limbo.. how loooowwww can you gooooo

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,483,237 times
Many older developments decay when *newer and shinier* stuff pops up. It happens everywhere, and it's going to happen more in Raleigh, especially as *newer and shinier* is going up everywhere in and around there.

Mini-City sounds an awful lot like Sharpstown Center/Mall in Houston.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:02 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,432,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalzoo View Post
I"m with saturn on this one- the only part of North Raleigh I would avoid living in is the MIni City area. I grew up in the North Hills area (well before it was trendy), and have always liked N Raleigh
Isn't "mini city" technically in East Raleigh.. or as some real estate agents like to say.. North East Raleigh.
I'm referring to the traditional line of Capital Blvd...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary