Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:05 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

So...… Tom Dundon wants an in-town arena for the Canes, "There is no list of successful suburban arenas."
He is not wrong to note that desirability and the current location truly is pathetic compared to many other cities.
I have visited Tampa and Columbus for Canes hockey games, and the arena settings are significantly preferable, particularly Columbus. haven't made it to Las Vegas yet, and I have a few others in mind over the next couple of years.
But, making that in-town happen in the Triangle faces some very robust headwinds.

With parking lots, PNC sits on about 80 acres, bounded by Wade Avenue, Blue Ridge Road, Trinity Road, and Carter Finley Stadium.
No restaurants. No bars. No pedestrian nothing. Get in and Get out, and no reason to hang out. No community at all surrounding the PNC. No community to support adjacent and integrated development outside of Event dates.

Even with parking garages replacing open parking, it will take a significant parcel of land to support an arena.

Structure, façade, courtyard, shipping and receiving, one would think 20 acres would be minimum. Then add on for parking garages, some surface parking, access and adjacent development opportunity.
Maybe 30 acres in DT Raleigh? Wow?! Maybe $250-$300 million to assemble and acquire, and the likelihood of eminent domain rearing its ugly ugly head at some point?

Et voila!
The crippled Cary Towne Center fits the bill!
88 Acres to consider in a great location. Motivated, even desperate, Seller. No (or, minimal) assembly required. A couple of dead restaurants already.
And, Mr. Dundon should have some familiarity with TOC and the property, with the poorly advised Top Golf experience.

He says he won't fund an arena, but will develop around it.
So... He might should buy the CTC properties, and provide a land deal, sale or lease, for an arena build.
There's money to be made in parking garages, as well as a hotel, and other hospitality options.
And, there is a surrounding community, and The Fenton on the way, to offer support for those investments outside of event dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 06:09 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,256,472 times
Not being a giant sports fan, I'm not sure if my answers are correct, but here I go

Isn't the Dallas Cowboys stadium in a different town (something like Grapevine) than Dallas?

Old 12-16-2018, 06:17 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,925 times
I don't think I'm quite following the logic here. He doesn't want the arena to be in the burbs, so he should therefore move it to... Cary???

Old 12-16-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Not being a giant sports fan, I'm not sure if my answers are correct, but here I go

Isn't the Dallas Cowboys stadium in a different town (something like Grapevine) than Dallas?
Arlington, in the center of the Metroplex. And you're talking football. In Texas. A parallel universe to our reality.
Mores seriously, football crowds are 4-8 times larger than hockey crowds, and it is probably better to have football a little suburban, as there are only a handful of events each year.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dallas...SWqdllC2kwwhwE

Dallas Stars and Mavs play in the American Airlines Center:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=americ...bocUzSxmRuTo5v

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-16-2018 at 06:32 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
I don't think I'm quite following the logic here. He doesn't want the arena to be in the burbs, so he should therefore move it to... Cary???
Yeah. If you have never been to Cary, and CTC in particular, it could be confusing.
DT Cary is small, but Cary is a lot more than Middle Creek and West Cary into Chatham County.

Oh, yeah....
Putting it in Cary might could keep a lot of the Relocated Yankees out of Raleigh....

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-16-2018 at 06:57 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 06:34 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,424 times
Why expand a floundering franchise with a more premium location

Location isn't the canes' problem

Old 12-16-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Why expand a floundering franchise with a more premium location

Location isn't the canes' problem
Because it would tie him here.
Location is part of any owner's concern, and floundering can be temporary.
He is hitting the authority up for $200 million in arena improvements, and that would be a huge chunk to throw at a new location.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:31 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
I thought I heard something about the Panthers HQ moving out of Charlotte and over the state line to Rock Hill. I guess that wasn't the stadium, though?

Old 12-16-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I thought I heard something about the Panthers HQ moving out of Charlotte and over the state line to Rock Hill. I guess that wasn't the stadium, though?
The Panthers own their stadium, and I expect a stadium move would be prohibitively costly.
https://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/c...rs-stadium-llc

Old 12-16-2018, 08:48 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Top Golf failed because of protests from neighbors. I can't imagine they would be much happier with a new arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary