U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 AM

1,935 posts, read 740,787 times
Smile In-laws are visiting, sight-seeing suggestions please?

My in-laws are visiting Raleigh from Staten Island, NY (their first visit), and I'd like to make their trip memorable. They are coming on 04/19 and will be here for 4 days and 5 nights. I am at a loss where to take them, so please give me some suggestions. Ideally, I'd like activities which they wouldn't get to do back in SI. The family as a whole is crazy about taking pictures and keeping photo albums, so nice picturesque naturally beautiful places would be great!!

I thought of taking them to Myrtle Beach, SC, Outer Banks, NC, Charleston, SC etc., but they all seem too far away to go in the morning and come back before bed time (we don't want to stay overnight anywhere). A co-worker mentioned Wilmington, NC and I am seriously considering it. Any other places/get-aways/hidden secrets? What can we do in Wilmington? Family oriented activities would be nice. Nothing to do in the Triangle itself, right?

This is the our age range so you have an idea of what we can do as a group:
FIL (late 50s)
MIL (mid 40s)
SILs (16 and 13)
me and the wife.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,290,656 times
Duke Gardens
The Sarah P. Duke Gardens

If you go to Wilmington, I've heard the Aquarium at Fort. Fisher is very nice.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM

175 posts, read 409,658 times
Shakori Hills music festival is that weekend. Shakori Hills

Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 AM

4,248 posts, read 5,081,065 times
Carowinds in Charlotte? Or, if they like hiking, you could go to the mountains. Not really an ideal day trip, but you could probably get to Linville gorge and back in a day. Also, Pilot mountain isn't too bad.

Of course, there's the NC zoo in Asheboro. That would be a lot of fun.

Duke gardens is pretty gorgeous right now.

There's also piedmont hiking: Eno river/Hemlock bluffs/Umstead park/etc.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 AM

551 posts, read 1,537,742 times
I think there is actually a LOT to do in the Triangle!! Do your in-laws have any particular interests (sports, food, history, art, animals, golf, etc)??

What about Fearrington? There are several nice shops, multiple places to eat, animals, and lots of possiibilities for pictures.

The kids are close to the age of being interested in colleges. What about Carolina or Duke campuses? Someone already mentioned the Duke Gardens. Carolina's campus has a gorgeous Arboretum, Planetarium, art museum, and the new basketball museum. Then all the shops/restaurants on Franklin Street.

You could take the adults to a wine tasting/dinner at multiple locations if they're interested.

If golf is their thing, then a family outing to the Knight's Play par 3 would be fun.

Zoo? Museums? Historic Oakwood and Mordecai? What's the historic homestead in Durham?

If the weather is nice, maybe an outing at Jordan Lake? You could rent a boat...

If you really want to take a road trip, what about Old Salem in Winston-Salem? That might be something quasi-educational that the kids would still get into.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:14 AM

718 posts, read 2,004,891 times
Chapel Hill (town) - visit Planetarium, Southern Season, IL Palio has a great Sunday Brunch or a really nice dinner.

Raleigh - see a show, check out some of the Resturants

Duke Gardens

The Streets at Southpoint

Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 10,318,206 times
If they like Gilbert & Sullivan, the Durham Savoyards ( a local Gilbert & Sullivan group) are performing "Yeomen of the Guard" at The Carolina Theatre in Durham that weekend. Google them for their webpage, etc.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 AM

1,874 posts, read 4,184,014 times
There are lots of cool things to see and do in the Triangle itself. But , the best out-of-town day trips, IMO, are either the Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington area or the NC Zoo area (Seagrove pottery side trip).

Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 AM

263 posts, read 666,086 times
Default For something really different...

try the farm and winery tour. It's self-directed so you can go to a few or a lot of the sites. See all the info and much more at http://www.carolinafarmstewards.org/docs/PFT08web.pdf (broken link)
There is a dinner associated with it, too. You can buy local produce and cheese, see animals up close, etc.
The science museum in Durham is fun, especially the butterfly house, if they have not been to one. Explore, Connect, Learn, Share | North Carolina Museum of Life and Science

Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM

132 posts, read 302,903 times
Thanks for all the great suggestions ! It is very helpful to newcomers like us as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary