Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:58 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Then dont support him if you dont agree with his message or find him funny. This PC culture is ruining comedy. Jerry Seinfeld said he wont speak at colleges for this very reason. People are way too sensitive and need to grow a pair.
So is it time to make jokes about slavery and the holocaust?

Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM

634 posts, read 913,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
So is it time to make jokes about slavery and the holocaust?
You're too late - jokes about slavery, the holocaust, and the Crucifixion have already been done.

An old saying, with variations attributed over time to Mark Twain, Lenny Bruce, Carol Burnett, among people: Humor is Tragedy plus Time

Last edited by ncdust; 01-21-2019 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-21-2019, 04:06 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That makes no sense. Something doesn't have to pertain to me in order for it to be offensive.
It kinda makes you a snowflake. Being coached to be offended by things being said that don't pertain to you is how we've gotten to this point in society where people get offended over the color of coffee cups.

You certainly can disagree and feel empathy for those who are targeted. I'm not black or latino but for sure feel empathy for blacks or latinos who have racist acts committed against them.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:11 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It kinda makes you a snowflake. Being coached to be offended by things being said that don't pertain to you is how we've gotten to this point in society where people get offended over the color of coffee cups.

You certainly can disagree and feel empathy for those who are targeted, certainly. I'm not black but for sure feel empathy for blacks who have racist acts committed against them.
Hogwash.
What damn good is "empathy," when the acts that might could spur those crocodile tears are truly offensive?

So, it is OK to promote and enjoy racist humor, as long as one can empathetically mumble, "I am one truly empathic S.O.B, cuz I feel your pain?"

Old 01-21-2019, 04:12 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
We may as well get rid of comedians altogether then, because someone will always be offended about something. That's a given.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:17 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Being coached? What the hell are you talking about?

Quote:
You certainly can disagree and feel empathy for those who are targeted. I'm not black or latino but for sure feel empathy for blacks or latinos who have racist acts committed against them.
That's called being offended at something that doesn't pertain to you.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hogwash.
What damn good is "empathy," when the acts that might could spur those crocodile tears are truly offensive?

So, it is OK to promote and enjoy racist humor, as long as one can empathetically mumble, "I am one truly empathic S.O.B, cuz I feel your pain?"
I would argue that is someone is amused, they aren't empathetic. The two are sorta mutually exclusive.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:48 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Of course comedians say all sorts of things and it's all jokes. But Louis CK promoting rape culture is a sign of a dirty creep. There are better ways for Improv Raleigh to make a buck. Not great for a new comedy club trying to make it in this difficult area - there are reporters here trying to "get a statement" from the owner. Yup, I did venture out to eat in this cold
He’s far beyond promoting rape culture.

I like edgy comedy. Daniel Tosh, love him. Anthony Jeselnik, love him even more. But a dude who does what CK has done, trying to come back without really actually admitting to it and trying to make things right just isn’t up my alley.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
Sold Out

Love him or hate him (I’ve seen him 6 times and think he’s the best out there), he’s going to sell out arenas again soon.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:03 PM

29 posts, read 25,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
He’s far beyond promoting rape culture.

I like edgy comedy. Daniel Tosh, love him. Anthony Jeselnik, love him even more. But a dude who does what CK has done, trying to come back without really actually admitting to it and trying to make things right just isn’t up my alley.
He really actually admitted to the allegations, publicly, more than a year ago. I don't really see an outstanding debt owed to anyone here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary