Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:08 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,425,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When we finished our attic the inspector wouldn't pass it without a very high R rating on the insulation, way higher than what code required. The attic is cooler than the second floor in the summertime.
That's odd that he had his own standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 AM

253 posts, read 235,630 times
We use ours as an office for both of us. We've got 3 bedrooms and a bonus room-1 bedroom for each of us (yes, we sleep in separate rooms. Husband snores!), a dedicated guest room, and an office. If we didn't use it as an office, I'd probably stick a treadmill in there for the days I'm too lazy to drive to the gym.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:39 PM

21 posts, read 22,500 times
My husband and I are empty nesters. We're currently in a 3000 sf 4 bedroom house and it is much too small. We'll be house hunting soon, hopefully for 4000sf. 5 bedroom with office and bonus room.

I work at home, so that's an office. My husband snores at the same decibel as a leaf blower, so that's two bedrooms. I have a second career as an artist, so that's a bonus room. I also have a small but profitable home accessories business, it can share with my art except seasonally where it expands to fill two rooms. My husband needs a quiet office to write software, he has multiple screens going. Have you counted four businesses yet? He also works 9-5 and need a man-cave to chill and play pool with his friends. I won't have a TV anywhere except a small TV room and in his man cave, so add a TV room where I can cuddle with my husband. Then we need a guest room, I usually manage with sleeper sofas and chairs for when the kids visit. But our friends are getting older (no, not us!) and they want more privacy, plus the grand kids are starting to have kids.
My husband has a woodworking hobby and I weld as part of my art so we fill a three car garage before cars are considered. It's a good thing we make great money, because we fill a large house to the rafters. No clutter, just productivity.

We've had art studios and shops that were not under one roof. I was tired of heat in the summer and aching cold in my studio in the winter. I've had too many nights of working towards a deadline when my fingers were too numb from cold to sew. I tried sharing a shop space with my husband and his wood chips ruined an incredibly expensive piece of silk velvet. We just figured out long ago that it's less expensive to buy a larger house than to rent office/warehouse space. It's not cost-effective to heat and cool a separate building. We can write off 1000sf as a business expense.
When I walk through other large houses I usually see areas dedicated to a second career or fitness. There's often a hobby area too.

If I had a really large house, larger than 4000sf I'd have a meditation room, something I do every day, and my fitness equipment would finally move out of my bedroom.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsitall View Post
My husband and I are empty nesters. We're currently in a 3000 sf 4 bedroom house and it is much too small. We'll be house hunting soon, hopefully for 4000sf. 5 bedroom with office and bonus room.

I work at home, so that's an office. My husband snores at the same decibel as a leaf blower, so that's two bedrooms. I have a second career as an artist, so that's a bonus room. I also have a small but profitable home accessories business, it can share with my art except seasonally where it expands to fill two rooms. My husband needs a quiet office to write software, he has multiple screens going. Have you counted four businesses yet? He also works 9-5 and need a man-cave to chill and play pool with his friends. I won't have a TV anywhere except a small TV room and in his man cave, so add a TV room where I can cuddle with my husband. Then we need a guest room, I usually manage with sleeper sofas and chairs for when the kids visit. But our friends are getting older (no, not us!) and they want more privacy, plus the grand kids are starting to have kids.
My husband has a woodworking hobby and I weld as part of my art so we fill a three car garage before cars are considered. It's a good thing we make great money, because we fill a large house to the rafters. No clutter, just productivity.

We've had art studios and shops that were not under one roof. I was tired of heat in the summer and aching cold in my studio in the winter. I've had too many nights of working towards a deadline when my fingers were too numb from cold to sew. I tried sharing a shop space with my husband and his wood chips ruined an incredibly expensive piece of silk velvet. We just figured out long ago that it's less expensive to buy a larger house than to rent office/warehouse space. It's not cost-effective to heat and cool a separate building. We can write off 1000sf as a business expense.
When I walk through other large houses I usually see areas dedicated to a second career or fitness. There's often a hobby area too.

If I had a really large house, larger than 4000sf I'd have a meditation room, something I do every day, and my fitness equipment would finally move out of my bedroom.
I would just work less and have a smaller home, just me though!

Old 02-04-2019, 07:00 AM

148 posts, read 170,525 times
You could just go ahead acquire kids. That way this problem is solved and you'll have more time for other problems - like how to deal with the jealousy you feel when you see others without kids have things like "man caves" and "bonus rooms".

Old 02-04-2019, 12:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Maybe this poster enjoys the work?

Old 02-04-2019, 01:23 PM

22,663 posts, read 36,747,725 times
Quote:
That's odd that he had his own standard.
Yes, our contractor was not pleased and showed him the code and the inspector said "well it's what I want".

I fully believe in karma. All I'm sayin'.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:26 PM

22,663 posts, read 36,747,725 times
Quote:
Sounds like their hobbies are at least partially their work, which is nice if you can get it!

Old 02-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Maybe this poster enjoys the work?
Quote:
I was tired of heat in the summer and aching cold in my studio in the winter. I've had too many nights of working towards a deadline when my fingers were too numb from cold to sew. I tried sharing a shop space with my husband and his wood chips ruined an incredibly expensive piece of silk velvet.
Sounds fun lol

Old 02-04-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Sounds like their hobbies are at least partially their work, which is nice if you can get it!
I can tell you from experience, when your hobby becomes work it becomes a job! A fun job but still a job!

I do itch to go to work after several weeks off, but it quickly passes once there !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary