Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:36 AM

14 posts, read 18,911 times

Advertisements

Hi
I tried to google that but there are so many different information and "useful hints" which I don't know which is requirement and which is hint. Some of these hints are stupid and are like "for your safety it is smart to check if seller is not zombie, zombies are bad and can eat you" like, stupid stuff in general.

I have bought an used car from a dealer so this path I know but on cars.com or any other sites like that the amount of cars I am interested in in not impressive. I am thinking about low budget car, old toyota or something. No fancy, backup family car. I noticed that there are plenty of ads on letgo, CL and other sites like that with good prices but I wonder what should I do to buy such car.

I read on one of threads here that to change Title I can go with seller to DMV and for few usd Title can be transfer to me. What other documents, formality do I need to do? Car will be bought in NC and used in NC.

Also I wonder why dealers charge so much money when buying a car. I paid like $500 for service fee 2 years ago. Is it just ripping people off or is it something that in total will cost me close to $500 anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 08:27 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Yes, the best thing to do is go with the seller to the DMV license plate agency office. You will need a drivers license and proof of insurance. The approximate costs are:

Title fee: $52
License plate fee: $36
Notary fee: $5 (approximately)
Highway Use Tax: 3% of the vehicle value
Local property taxes: based on the tax rate of the jurisdiction you live in and value of the vehicle

Best source of information can be found here: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-regi...s/default.aspx

Old 01-28-2019, 08:32 AM

Thanks BC1960 for the list. Can I do everything at DMV or do I need to visit multiple places?

Old 01-28-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentosik View Post
Thanks BC1960 for the list. Can I do everything at DMV or do I need to visit multiple places?
All done at DMV. Just make sure you go to a License Plate Office, not a driver's license office. Some do both, some do just one.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:08 AM

Thanks you a lot!

Old 01-28-2019, 10:03 AM

422 posts, read 461,793 times
BC160 provided a good list, but technically there is no reason to go to the DMV with the seller. I've bought and sold several vehicles (of varying values) in NC, and have never gone to the DMV with the seller (or the buyer depending). The seller may very well refuse to do so, as it isn't required, and an extra step on their part. It is required to have the existing title notarized, your bank will do it for free if that is more convenient than you both going to the DMV. That's my general method, I'll just meet at the nearest Wells Fargo branch to the car location and sign over the title (and exchange the cash) there. I personally also have no interest in walking into a crowded DMV with a stack of cash, and exchanging it in front of everyone in line.

The reason some people prefer to go to the DMV as they are more comfortable doing the transaction there with both parties, so there is no confusion as to the requirements.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
BC160 provided a good list, but technically there is no reason to go to the DMV with the seller. I've bought and sold several vehicles (of varying values) in NC, and have never gone to the DMV with the seller (or the buyer depending). The seller may very well refuse to do so, as it isn't required, and an extra step on their part. It is required to have the existing title notarized, your bank will do it for free if that is more convenient than you both going to the DMV. That's my general method, I'll just meet at the nearest Wells Fargo branch to the car location and sign over the title (and exchange the cash) there. I personally also have no interest in walking into a crowded DMV with a stack of cash, and exchanging it in front of everyone in line.

The reason some people prefer to go to the DMV as they are more comfortable doing the transaction there with both parties, so there is no confusion as to the requirements.
Thats true, but for someone with little or no experience or knowledge of the title transferring process, its a much better idea to do it at DMV in order to make sure everything is filled out correctly. A mistake in filling out the back of the title will void it. Thats why I suggested, for the OP, to meet at the DMV.

Plus, the buyer has to go to the DMV anyway, so it can be easier just to go there and be done.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:52 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Thats true, but for someone with little or no experience or knowledge of the title transferring process, its a much better idea to do it at DMV in order to make sure everything is filled out correctly. A mistake in filling out the back of the title will void it. Thats why I suggested, for the OP, to meet at the DMV.

Plus, the buyer has to go to the DMV anyway, so it can be easier just to go there and be done.
I 100% agree with you BC, and we recently bought and sold cars. When buying, I went alone, no problem. When selling, my fiance (official seller) went, which helped.

I think one thing for OP to consider is that some sellers may not be WILLING to go to DMV. If they are selling a cheap car, they may not want to be bothered with it. In that case, you still need to have the title notarized, and to do that correctly, both parties need to be present. (often you can "fudge it"). Another option to make sure the title is correctly filled is to go to a Notary at your bank, and have them walk you through.

But to point, BC1960 is 100% correct about the bolded statement. It is a real headache, and you want to make sure it's done right.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:56 AM

263 posts, read 572,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
In that case, you still need to have the title notarized, and to do that correctly, both parties need to be present. (often you can "fudge it").
No, only the seller's signature needs to be notarized before going to DMV (if they're not going to be present). The buyer's signature can be notorized at the DMV office. There's no fudging it...

Old 01-28-2019, 12:00 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
No, only the seller's signature needs to be notarized before going to DMV (if they're not going to be present). The buyer's signature can be notorized at the DMV office. There's no fudging it...
I might be wrong, but I thought technically you could not notarize the title before the sale process begins. I've had more than one Notary refuse to notarize until all parties are present.

For the DMV part, hyou are correct, because the parties are the DMV and the buyer, so at that point, seller no longer needs to be notarized.

Like I said, I can be wrong, but I've definitely had an over-scrupulous Notary refuse on that basis before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: