Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2019, 08:43 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Actually the one I went to doesn’t serve food. Every time I’ve been, people just order pizza. It’s the location behind Costco in Raleigh. It’s the brewery where they brew the beer.
In that case, that's a weird place to have a 5 year old's birthday party. Sounds like the party wasn't really for the 5 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 09:29 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I would hope if any business passed lawful practices - and apparently a kids curfew is lawful - that folks would abide by it. Some would be mad, and choose not to spend money there at any time of the day, and that's their right. And surely the business owner takes that into account.
And, there would also be people who would make a point of going there if that was the case, because they'd know there wouldn't be kids running around.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:53 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
If I go to the kind of place where I don't want to see animals or kids inside and see either there, I leave and usually don't return in favor of other places that are not like that.

I think it was The Stags Head I used to go to that started doing this with animals, never went back after that. I see they're now closed.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:06 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
You could always just go to the source. https://abc.nc.gov/Permit/ It's not an easy subject to *distill* into a forum post.

I have seen plenty of establishments say no kids after X pm in the bar areas of restaurants. It sounds like HiWire is a mix of brewery/tasting room and also serves food making it a restaurant. I was in a Buffalo Wild Wings, in Virginia, a few months ago that had a sign no kids in the bar after 8pm and there was a door/wall between the dining room/bar area.

I can easily see a family with some older kids eating past 8pm (like after a practice etc). So I can see the rub in their policy if they can't provide two distinct areas to separate the families from the adults correctly. But that stuff happens when you trying to merge two worlds restaurant and a bar ("tasting room").

Old 02-04-2019, 09:14 AM

315 posts, read 1,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
You could always just go to the source. https://abc.nc.gov/Permit/ It's not an easy subject to *distill* into a forum post.

I have seen plenty of establishments say no kids after X pm in the bar areas of restaurants. It sounds like HiWire is a mix of brewery/tasting room and also serves food making it a restaurant. I was in a Buffalo Wild Wings, in Virginia, a few months ago that had a sign no kids in the bar after 8pm and there was a door/wall between the dining room/bar area.

HiWire does not serve food, but they have food trucks. They also don't do any brewing there. So basically it's a place that just serves alcohol.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:18 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I can see this both ways.

During the day, many breweries (especially places with outdoor seating/open space) are much more relaxed with things like dogs, etc. I know several weekend places that hold games and such during the day. Night hours tend to be more bar-focused with more adult oriented activities. I don't see any problem with this at all.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:22 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in jersey View Post
HiWire does not serve food, but they have food trucks. They also don't do any brewing there. So basically it's a place that just serves alcohol.
But it is classified as a taproom as one of three locations a brewery can have under their permit.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:23 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
This thread has gone around the same circle 25 times.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 5,132 times
A night curfew is fine. If they had it the whole day, that would be problem, because many times families will congregate to a bar after a parade or event downtown and meet up with friends whom did the same thing. Kids running around are usually fine during the day, because lots of families are out and about enjoying things.

At night, it is the bars choice. I have nothing against it. Sure there are times I tried to convience my wife to let me take our kids out to a bar... that didn't go over well.

After hours, the language and discussions can get quite "rowdy"... and people can get rowdy, so it is hard for anyone to watch out carefully enough with a bunch of 4 year olds running around. I know, I have some.

So again, no one is bad for taking kids and the bar has every right to set a curfew. Plus there is literally an unlimited amount of choices for bars/breweries/restaurants to choose from, that it shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 PM

678 posts, read 737,404 times
Parents using Breweries/taprooms/bars as Chuck E' Cheeses, has pretty much ruined going to those places during the daytime, especially on weekends. It's a shame, really. Adults should be able to enjoy a nice beer during the day, without stepping into a petting zoo/daycare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary