Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:17 PM

21 posts, read 22,516 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband is transferring and we don't know your area AT ALL. Is it reasonable to look at the Mebane area, Quaker Creek Reservoir when my husband has to commute to RTP?

Do homeowners have lake access or is it controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers with only marina access? Could a homeowner kayak from their back yard, or fish? Or is the lake just pretty background with ski boat noise?

And, lastly, what's your favorite fishing lake near Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
Back in the day when I was into fishing it was always
Jordan or Shearon Harris Lake. I had great luck at both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsitall View Post

Old 02-04-2019, 09:50 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Jordan Lake is probably your best bet for local fishing.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:36 PM

Thanks to both of you. Definitely trying the fishing at Jordan lake. But the house we could afford that's for sale is on the Quaker reservoir, does anyone know what owning there is like, or what the commute would be like? We were told it's 30 minutes, but someone else said "Nuh-uh! Try, 45-47 minutes in rush hour." My husband's in grad school, he really can't do more than a 30 minute work commute to and from RTP. Any suggestions?

Old 02-05-2019, 02:43 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
Does your husband work in RTP or are you referring to the general area that way? It’s over 30 miles, so there is no way it would be less than 30 min.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:56 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Its actually called Graham-Mebane Lake. its owned by the City of Graham and is their municipal water supply. Its not uncommon for municipal lakes to allow boating but ban swimming. I suspect its more of a liability issue.

In looking at Google maps, there aren't any docks or piers on the lake, except at the city park. I suspect all development is prohibited within a setback area from the lake in order to protect water quality.

Here is a page from the City's website about the lake. I'm sure if you call the City they can provide definitive answers to all your questions.

https://www.cityofgraham.com/departm...m-mebane-lake/

Its definitely not within 30 minutes of RTP, but didn't you say your husband was going to grad school? Where exactly is his school?

Old 02-05-2019, 05:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Where on the reservoir, and where in RTP?

I just did a timed run from Woodlawn, east of the Alamance schools to VA Medical Center on the N side of Durham, and it was 25 minutes, with a lead foot and no traffic slowdowns.
IF he can go off hours, and IF you are on the east side of the reservoir, and IF he is working on the north end of RTP in the TW Alexander area, he will have a minimum 35-40 minute commute.

Go deeper into RTP, further west into Alamance, or during peak drive times? The commute won't meet his needs.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:08 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Probably an hour commute. Not at all a good idea. Traffic only will get worse with time and you need to consider construction projects planned for i40

Old 02-05-2019, 12:01 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsitall View Post
Hi,

My husband is transferring and we don't know your area AT ALL. Is it reasonable to look at the Mebane area, Quaker Creek Reservoir when my husband has to commute to RTP?

Do homeowners have lake access or is it controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers with only marina access? Could a homeowner kayak from their back yard, or fish? Or is the lake just pretty background with ski boat noise?

Look on ncangler as well.

I've done well on all of the big lakes at the right time of year, Crappie, Bass and Catfish mostly.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the fishing suggestions, everyone. I am so looking forward to it.

It looks like that house in Mebane is a non-starter due to the commute. DH takes his grad classes online, but needs at least 2 hours every night. He can't spend those 2 hours commuting. We have no traffic here (rush hour is 5 cars on the highway) in our rural area, so we have no concept of your rush hours. Right now DH travels for his work, so his commute is to the Sacramento airport and he times his flights for the slow traffic hours. It's been many years since he had a 9-5 commute in traffic, and I work out of the house, hard to wrap our heads around the reality of the congestion.

But we love the Triangle access to the art museum and concerts and restaurants. Small town life is so boring except for hiking and fishing. We're so excited about this move! See you on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary