Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 02:17 PM

22 posts, read 21,386 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am starting the process again this year to look for full-day summer camp options for my daughters (5&yo).

We moved here from NY two years ago, and I keep looking for a summer camp that is more like what I am used to - you send them to one big day camp facility which has a variety of activities and trips for the children, for example, swimming, crafts, etc.

I know the Y fits the bill, however I have heard mixed reviews. Last year we tried Lifetime Fitness which was along the lines of what I am thinking, but it was super crowded and the kids didn't love it because of that.

Are there any other full day, all inclusive camps that you would recommend in the Cary/Apex/Holly Springs area?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 02:54 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Some of the local schools have camps for their students. TOC has full day camps, look in the schools out guide.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:10 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Camp Crossroads at the Kraft Family Y(off Holly Springs Road, Apex address) is incredibly popular. All-day inside and outside activities.

I know the director of that camp and he's a great guy very helpful and would be happy to answer your questions and probably give a tour.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:45 AM

430 posts, read 626,567 times
Not exactly what you're asking about, but when my daughter was 5 yo she started attending Girl Scout sleep away camps. There are 3 or 4 excellent ones in this area. She went every year she was eligible and is now a counselor.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
I've heard this camp is really good, but spots fill up fast. I'm thinking about sending me 10 y/o there for his summer trackout camp (he's year round), although they won't be doing the last week of his summer trackout in August.

https://trianglecampsforkids.com/?fb...zBBMJiNr-Htzik

Old 02-06-2019, 08:51 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Town of Cary-Bond Park-is all day-very popular! registration is NOW and fills up quickly

Cary Arts center and other locations also have some 9-5 options.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I've heard this camp is really good, but spots fill up fast. I'm thinking about sending me 10 y/o there for his summer trackout camp (he's year round), although they won't be doing the last week of his summer trackout in August.

https://trianglecampsforkids.com/?fb...zBBMJiNr-Htzik
This is a good camp, my kids have all done it. It's run by Davis Drive Middle teachers. It used to be on that campus and only open to DDMS kids but a couple years ago they were doing HVAC repairs to the building and couldn't have it on campus, so they moved it and have been at the church ever since. I know all the teachers and they're good people. It's SUPER reasonable but you do have to give spending money every day for the field trips.

The downside is it's probably best to bring a friend unless your kid is really outgoing because most of the kids have been DDMS kids and know each other, although is probably less true as time goes by as I see they've expanded the ages and separated them into two distinct groups.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
Not exactly what you're asking about, but when my daughter was 5 yo she started attending Girl Scout sleep away camps. There are 3 or 4 excellent ones in this area. She went every year she was eligible and is now a counselor.
I'm also a big proponent of overnight camp for kids in the 8-15 age bracket.

Tons of great options and you're not limited to the immediate Triangle area. Definitely pricier but if you can swing it; I personally feel like its an experience every kid should have!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:14 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'm also a big proponent of overnight camp for kids in the 8-15 age bracket.

Tons of great options and you're not limited to the immediate Triangle area. Definitely pricier but if you can swing it; I personally feel like its an experience every kid should have!
Mine just turned 18 and has done sleep away girl scout camp since she was 6 and i snow a counselor. Great experience!

Old 02-06-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Mine just turned 18 and has done sleep away girl scout camp since she was 6 and i snow a counselor. Great experience!
Working as a summer camp counselor at a sleep away camp in the mountains starting after my Freshman year in college was unequivocally the best choice I ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary