Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:38 AM

43,249 posts, read 77,010,637 times

Advertisements

More and more, we are recognizing that broadband internet access is essential for economic development.
Service availability and regulation of pricing will happen.

NCGA really screwed up when they prevented municipalities from offering broadband to residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:13 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,365,613 times
Cable tv and internet access are 2 very different points on need/want continuum.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:13 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,746,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
More and more, we are recognizing that broadband internet access is essential for economic development.

NCGA really screwed up when they prevented municipalities from offering broadband to residents.
Well, only if you think the legislature should do things that benefit the people of the state. Hm, wait a second...

Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM

7,821 posts, read 4,558,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Not only economic development but average government interactions with its citizenry. There is a reason agencies want you to first seek information on their websites and conduct business transactions with them in that manner. Deployment of dwindling resources.

I'm not saying that is inherently bad, just that the reality of the situation is you're at a significant disadvantage economically and politically as "Joe Public" if you don't have access to quick internet.

(Just as a side note related to your line of work Mike, I've purchased a couple of residential properties in the past 5 years and for the life of me (and with a great deal of empathy for those lacking) I don't see how a buyer can be competitive in a purchase without a full array of technology resources. From searching to financing to execution, it seems to me unless you're 'loaded for bear' in the tech department as a buyer you're quite likely to find yourself either missing out entirely or settling for a lesser product. I really feel bad for those otherwise good, decent, solid people just trying to get themselves a nice home missing opportunities because they can't be as swift or diligent in the buying process as those with the tech edge. Not your industry's fault, just reinforcement that it's a very blurry line between luxury and essential.)

Old 02-14-2019, 04:36 AM

19,425 posts, read 27,788,898 times
If I implied that access to internet isn't essential, I apologize. The luxury I referred to was cable TV.

BUT, access using cable, fiber, etc is likely going to disappear in the residential market. Home based broadband usage is decreasing in the US, being replaced by SmartPhones and other mobile devices. Already, One in five users in the U.S. use mobile as their only access to the internet. Worldwide, it's the biggest source of internet access.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:02 PM

72 posts, read 79,829 times
Google Fiber since July 2018:

One outage - when they resurfaced the streets in Cary. They had to shut down the service to my house for a day (roughly 10hrs).

Old 02-14-2019, 05:48 PM

653 posts, read 2,703,551 times
What's the longest distance any of you got fiber installed into your house? The only thing holding me back from getting Google is that I have my office on the third floor. The room has a cable jack, so I'm hard-wired. I don't want to run off wireless from the opposite corner of the house when I'm guaranteed 200 off cable.

Spectrum keeps going up. It was a $5 increase a few months ago. Then another dollar a couple of months ago. One stupid dollar. Another $5 increase and I'll be paying more for Spectrum than I could for fiber!

Old 02-16-2019, 10:52 PM

346 posts, read 338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
What's the longest distance any of you got fiber installed into your house? The only thing holding me back from getting Google is that I have my office on the third floor. The room has a cable jack, so I'm hard-wired. I don't want to run off wireless from the opposite corner of the house when I'm guaranteed 200 off cable.

Spectrum keeps going up. It was a $5 increase a few months ago. Then another dollar a couple of months ago. One stupid dollar. Another $5 increase and I'll be paying more for Spectrum than I could for fiber!

Fiber and a mesh router and problem solved with WiFi issues.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:45 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,719,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
Fiber and a mesh router and problem solved with WiFi issues.
This ^

We've got fiber and went whole house mesh. Have zero issues getting great speeds anywhere on our property.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:56 AM

19,425 posts, read 27,788,898 times
An update to my prior comments:

In eleven months Of using GoogleTV, we have had MANY problems with faulty search results (a known problem with Google Tv). We replaced one remote, and had to drive 35 minutes to get a new one from the closest Google Store. We lost everything on our DVR three times. 90% of the time we use the DVR to watch TV. so losing it all is MORE than a little annoying.

The last time they said it was a hard disk failure and to go to the store to switch it for a new one. We disconnected the box attached to the TV, drove 35 minutes to the store. Wrong box. Nobody told me to bring the big box in our closet - the network box. I'm not an idiot, but how the helll should I know that the hard drive isn't in the box attached to the TV?!!?

We left Google store and drove directly to Costco to bring back Direct TV.

Direct TV will be here tomorrow afternoon to install. When they are done, I will be driving down to Google Fiber Store to return their GD TV boxes. (Note to self: call them to find out which boxes go back.)

Google Fiber internet will be staying for as long as I'm in this house. It's flawless. (Unless you use it for a landline phone, I'm told. Many of our neighbors have cancelled it - a few were so frustrated that they went back to Spectrum.!!!!!!)

(No, we cannot cut the cord. We've had this discussion previously on CD. Technology can often make DH cranky, and he's a big TV watcher. He is 76 years old, and it's absolutely NOT worth MY time and aggravation to TRY to retrain him. Eventually, the divorce lawyers would cost more than the cable bills. Plus, we both like the menu type setup on a DVR.)

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 02-17-2019 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary