Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
for those students that want to go into engineering, it is much easier than NCSU.
UNCC may be easier to get into, but if their engineering curriculum is any good, those students will run into the same difficult courses when they become sophomores and juniors. There are no shortcuts to a real engineering degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 07:35 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
UNC-C is the "hot" school right now. It's all cyclical. My son didn't like it but my daughter (who is a HS freshman) did. My son's take on it was "everyone here is wearing a shirt with a different school's name on it". Will my freshman like it in 3 years? Time will tell. A lot of kids from GHHS go there....and they take a lot of the track and field kids.

UNC-C's engineering program has a large focus on motorsports technology. They have a brand new facility dedicated to that.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:42 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
im sorry what is good about UNCC

Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
According to UNC-C's website they are at 29,710 overall; 24,387 undergrad.

https://admissions.uncc.edu/about-un...ersity-profile
https://inside.uncc.edu/news-feature...e-closes-30000

Only 5,466 live on campus.

About 9000 live on campus at UNC-CH.
Ok, UNCC is close to having 30,000 students. They do have a goal to get to 35,000 - at least they said that when I was there for a tour.
UNCC definitely does not have enough on campus housing, but the amount of off campus housing within walking distance to the school is impressive. There are a number of off campus places being built too. I realize it is not Chapel Hill, but the school has come a long way from what it once was. It is no longer the commuter school it used to be.
I personally can not favor one school over the other because tuition money goes to both.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:38 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
UNCC may be easier to get into, but if their engineering curriculum is any good, those students will run into the same difficult courses when they become sophomores and juniors. There are no shortcuts to a real engineering degree.
You are right. I think it is easier to get a seat in the program but you have to adhere to some strict guidelines as far as GPA and the amount of time spent to reach upper level classes.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Who knows. It's just where kids want to go right now. Just like all the kids from up north want to go to Clemson, Elon, University of Miami....who knows why these schools get "hot".

I think for kids around here, it's similar to "home" not too far away and close to the city of Charlotte, the rail line runs right by campus.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:32 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Is a pulse required for acceptance to ECU?

Old 03-03-2019, 07:37 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I would also add that the traditional university process may articially deny opportunities to people who may make fine doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc through their weed out process. Freshman Chemistry or Organic Chemistry may be more difficult at UNC/NCSU (or larger class so less individualized attention), so the person taking the class there gets a "C" where the person taking it at the local community college gets a "B+". Uphill climb for the UNC/NCSU to get high GPA for med school. Community college student transfers in with the credits and doesnt have the "C" on their transcript.
Taking your core basic sciences at community college is a no-go for med school applications.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:49 AM

119 posts, read 90,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
UNCC has seen tremendous infrastructure investment and has become a solid option for students interested in STEM disciplines who aren't attending NCSU. I, too, had the outdated opinion of it as a commuter school until I visited it last year and came away impressed. They've done tremendous work to change the image of the campus and it's paying off.

As Wake and Mecklenburg Counties grow, and as more students from those areas are looking to the UNC system due to the great quality/cost ratio, it won't be long before the competition among students from the large population centers for spots at UNCW, UNCC, App and others approach, if not meet, the level of UNCCH and NCSU.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:57 AM

119 posts, read 90,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Taking your core basic sciences at community college is a no-go for med school applications.
As someone who reviews these applications and interviews applicants for a state medical school, I generally agree, at least for classes like organic chemistry. But if an applicant took, for example, a calculus class at a community college with a strong reason for doing so (e.g., there wasn't an opportunity to fit the course in), and had a strong overall academic record, this would not be a deal-breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary