Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:02 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,553,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
The article for the most part accurately sums up my dealings with Cox.
You’re not the first person to say this. I have personally interacted with David on a casual level and did not come to the same conclusion but I know other people who have interacted with him on a professional level and have said similar things about him as this article (though maybe not as dramatic) when their viewpoints/opinions did not match up. Maybe his persona is different when he is unable to respect or agree with the professional opinions of people who work with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 05:11 AM

3,381 posts, read 7,740,965 times
It’s hard not to notice a rapid decline at the Indy over the last few years. Most of the talent has moved on. The print edition is noticeably thinner than before. I rarely see articles shared by friends on social media. It’s certainly not unique to the Indy, but as someone that read the Independent (and Spectator) for decades, it sucks to see. Especially since nothing else, either print or online, is filling the gap.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:13 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 13 days ago)

43,154 posts, read 76,719,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I have a journalism background. I've never trashed media. I expected much more from Indyweek.

As I mentioned elsewhere, there are 2 stories to be researched and told -- why Indyweek is trashing a hardworking city councilman and why the city isn't telling the truth about the possibilities of the location of the new sewer line. I don't know the answers.

When I have more info, I'll write about it. Indyweek "interviewed" me just
this afternoon and soon published their trashy article.

What do I think about IndyWeek?

Indy is there to chirp to their choir, not to report.

When media outlets evolve from reporting to slanted performance art, as Indy did many years ago, I generally stop paying much attention.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:04 AM

58 posts, read 47,831 times
Indy Week has always been the epitome of liberal media on the local level. Their authors are all 20 something-year-old wet behind the ears with poisoned minds and living in their mother's basement.

Personally, I wouldn't have given IndyWeek two seconds my time. They are known to take whatever you say and present it out of context in order to further their agenda.

I will say that their paper does a great job starting fires.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:15 AM

13,654 posts, read 12,310,989 times
I used to really like the "Alternative" tabloids but this one has degenerated into something like the "Occupy Democrats" Facebook page. Its one thing not to hold punches and another to take cheap shots.

ETA...I read the article about the Ingram drive sewer project. Its not great writing but it isn't altogether a hatchet job.

It says that "David Cox is mean to people sometimes" and that the city basically has to fix the problem of the really old pipes. But really, it delves into a strongly worded email and parses it out to make the guy look like a jerk.

Its the rhetoric about David Cox that isn't relevant to the discussion about the sewer line. Which is a bummer for those houses to deal with it but not a big deal, really. Grass will grow and its likely to be fine for another century.

From the article, one would gather that Councilman Cox listens to his constituents and maybe isn't as nice to City employees as he should be sometimes. People forget that politicians, even/especially good ones, are people too, with personal shortcomings. Tom Ford, the big Toronto mayor that had to resign after getting caught smoking crack, was famous for showing up at people's houses to address concerns they had; even people in the "crunchy," liberal neighborhoods that didn't vote for him at all.

Last edited by JONOV; 02-27-2019 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 09:46 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,202,524 times
It's trash, ever since Steve Schewell sold it.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,114,324 times
Used to be good years ago. Now it's utter garbage. A couple of weeks ago all I could do was roll my eyes after it's silly claims that now board games are now racist. I mean, come on.

The derangement syndrome is strong in that rag.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:22 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,553,233 times
In other news...... https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...-oDg2cTCBCZY20

Old 02-27-2019, 03:16 PM

171 posts, read 142,137 times
The IndyWeek comments section was more interesting than the article.

There are proper channels, and many opportunities where a Councilman could bring a project to the full Council, have it discussed, and voted on. It seems like Cox made a mistake with his approach, and got angry when he didn't get the results he felt entitled to.

I hope there is no retribution on Massengill. Council Members come and go every other year. The City usually benefits greatly when they keep their more experienced employees around for as long as possible.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:54 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,060,915 times
There was no project to bring to the council. Sounds like he was lied to. Who wouldn't be angry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: