Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:38 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm not ready to criticize them for that. Any time you suggest will be inconvenient for someone.
Well of course, however you're more likely to get more people showing up at 5/6pm than when most people are at work at 9am.

That and at least give people more than 2 days notice so they can move their schedules around.

Last edited by DPK; 02-28-2019 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 07:55 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
I'm more concerned with the proposed land swap between Umstead Park and Fred Anderson Toyota on Glenwood Avenue. The swap involves Anderson giving an adjacent parcel to the park that would allow for the entrance road to be relocated and aligned with Triangle Drive. In return, Anderson would get ~25 acres of hardwood forest across from the current park entrance which is (unknown to most) part of the park. The park is apparently willing to make the trade on the basis of having a safer and easier access road into it at a traffic light. So far, so good.

But the result will probably be another car dealership across from the park and the loss of green space on a main route into the city. That seems more of a visual impact on the park than a quarry on the other side of the park along I-40. Current mining permits require, among other things, visual screening. So I'd doubt that people traveling on I-40 would ever see the quarry.

In a perfect world, I hope neither of the projects are implemented. But if I have to chose, I'd rather allow the quarry to be developed than another car dealership on Glenwood. Ah. progress.
The land across Glenwood from Umstead was removed from the park system in 1985. It’s been held by the state since then for the express purpose of being sold off to generate funds for acquiring more useful property to add to Umstead.

Umstead gets a (badly needed) signalized main entrance, an expansion of contiguous land, and $2 million to help acquire even more land. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:35 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Looks like the airport authority just granted the lease to the quarry.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:37 AM

852 posts, read 585,888 times
spiderman, I stand corrected if what you say is true about the parcel across Glenwood. Still, I'd prefer not to have another car dealership along the Glenwood corridor. And I can think of no other use Fred Anderson would have for the property if he acquires it.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:43 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Looks like the airport authority just granted the lease to the quarry.
If there are improvements to access in/out of Umstead, that's great. It's not like they are building a car dealership next to the visitor center.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
If there are improvements to access in/out of Umstead, that's great. It's not like they are building a car dealership next to the visitor center.
That's a separate topic...the quarry is on the I-40 side of Umstead and has nothing to do with the Fred Anderson land swap on the Glenwood side.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:52 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
That's a separate topic...the quarry is on the I-40 side of Umstead and has nothing to do with the Fred Anderson land swap on the Glenwood side.
I know that. My point is the same. Whether quarry or land swap. It's not like they are bulldozing the entire Umstead park. They might inconvenience people who built illegal trails on the I40 side.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Press release:

Quote:
The Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority Board of Directors voted Friday at a special meeting to generate new revenue through a mineral lease with Wake Stone Corporation to help fund crucial infrastructure projects, including replacement of the airport’s primary runway, more gates and better amenities for its 12.8 million annual passengers.

The agreement is projected to generate about $24 million from a 25-year, 105-acre expansion of the adjacent existing quarry to help fund airport capital improvement projects. The agreement also requires Wake Stone to provide $3.6 million for a third party to lease 151 acres of airport land for mountain biking recreation. Wake Stone will contribute an additional estimated $3 million at the end of the agreement to reclaim the site with recreational features.

The Airport Authority first solicited public proposals to explore revenue sources in 2017. After evaluating an initial proposal from Wake Stone to lease a parcel of airport land for a quarry, the Authority chose to pause and carefully consider revenue options and the community’s needs. The Authority encouraged Wake Stone to seek additional input from local governments, the broader community and groups with concerns about how airport land should be used. The $3.6 million for a potential mountain biking lease and committed funding for recreational features in the reclamation plan is the result of that stakeholder engagement.

The agreement reached today is the first step in determining the feasibility of a quarry. Wake Stone must obtain all required federal, state and environmental permits for the project to proceed, which is estimated to take up to two years.

The Airport Authority navigates and complies with an intricate web of statutory and regulatory requirements every day. The Airport Authority has done due diligence related to its approval of the agreement with Wake Stone, and is confident that the permitting and approval process to determine the feasibility of the expansion of the existing quarry can begin. The Airport Authority remains committed to complying with all applicable laws and requirements.

Note: One board member was recused from the vote due to a conflict of interest. Another board member was not present at the meeting.

For more information on the agreement, visit the RDU Land Lease Agreement webpage.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I know that. My point is the same. Whether quarry or land swap. It's not like they are bulldozing the entire Umstead park. They might inconvenience people who built illegal trails on the I40 side.
Okay, your comment about improved access confused me. I haven't heard any mention of that as part of the quarry plan.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:47 PM

171 posts, read 142,794 times
The owners of Wake Stone and the Airport Authority probably travel the same circles and worked this out over drinks at the Country Club. It's good that the people were able to at least get $3.6M for trails out of it. That will go a long way for trail work, and should legitimize the land use on that side of the park.

This way people won't have to worry about illegal trail gnomes anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary