Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 09:31 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,056,198 times

Advertisements

I love driving. LOVE it. I choose the cars I drive based on how much enjoyment I get out of them when behind the wheel. Hate traffic, but love long road trips with open road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 10:23 AM

3,620 posts, read 4,451,930 times
I enjoy cruising, I don't enjoy commuting. I would LOVE to have a practical commuter rail and/or light rail...I don't want it to just be a novelty that I use to get from North Hills to Crabtree on a Saturday (yes I know there is no planned rail there, just giving an example). Ideally I would walk or take a bus to a commuter rail station, and take the train from midtown Raleigh to RTP.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:45 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,109,441 times
I absolutely love driving from and to work. Working all day in an open office is taxing. ....can't escape people. Driving is my alone time to listen to what I want, as loud as I want. Whether it be talk radio or metal music. As an introverted person, that 30 minutes of decompression before home is invaluable to me. Being on a bus or train with yet more people before and after work... that's a big nope. have been driving from Garner to RTP for 18 years... It's fine with me.

Heck even one of my favorite parts of vacation is the drive. I like visiting places and love seeing the country and making stops in odd places.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:00 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,294,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
I love driving. LOVE it. I choose the cars I drive based on how much enjoyment I get out of them when behind the wheel. Hate traffic, but love long road trips with open road.
I loved driving a VW Beetle in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's, but then I got a Saturn 2 coupe and was slowly bored to death for 14 years. The car was very reliable, the high impact side panels were dent proof, even survived a deer collision without a dent, but the ride was so soft that there was no connection to the road.

Now I have a small sport convertible and I've discovered how much fun driving can be again! Being in 3 car clubs only adds to the fun.

You are never going to like driving in a cross-over or humongous SUV (AKA a mobile piece of furniture with nanny safety controls, and a home entertainment system built in), that has about as much contact with the outside world as your living room.

I can see why the younger folks have no desire to drive those things, nor the expense of owning one, or while others merely consider them a tool or appliance.

In another two weeks it will be the beginning of top down driving here, WhooHoo!!!

Old 03-01-2019, 12:03 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,711,762 times
I enjoy driving.

I don't enjoy not doing much driving while I should be driving (e.g. I-40 and I-540 after 4PM).

Old 03-01-2019, 12:18 PM

634 posts, read 907,935 times
I enjoy driving, but don't have the need to drive that much anymore. I buy less than one tank full a month.

I'd rather not have that selfish, have to insure, have to maintain, lump of metal in the driveway/garage any more. Google or some like service, come get me when I call.

Last edited by ncdust; 03-01-2019 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 12:28 PM

6,647 posts, read 5,540,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Now I have a small sport convertible and I've discovered how much fun driving can be again! Being in 3 car clubs only adds to the fun.

You are never going to like driving in a cross-over or humongous SUV (AKA a mobile piece of furniture with nanny safety controls, and a home entertainment system built in), that has about as much contact with the outside world as your living room.
That's how I feel - I don't have a sports car or anything fancy (just a Mazda3) but it handles relatively well and is fun to drive so it's fun to take it on road trips or like some people mentioned out to the Blue Ridge Parkway etc....

Now if it comes to sitting in bumper to bumper traffic? No that sucks and I don't get to use the fun factor of the car.

I feel like I'd hate driving a lot more if I had a bigger car.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:00 PM

495 posts, read 1,071,811 times
My tolerance for long-distance driving has decreased with age. It used to be if something were within a 10-hour drive, I’d drive it instead of fly. That over/under is now down to about 5-6 hours. So basically the limit would be Raleigh to Atlanta, Savannah or DC. Anything beyond those points and it’s flying.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:06 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,200,154 times
I enjoy driving, but I especially enjoy the freedom of being able to drive whenever/wherever.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:01 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,223,630 times
I am not looking forward to yet another drive in the rain this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary