Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:38 AM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times

Advertisements

Make sure there is a fire extinguisher in your home - can buy it in any store like Target, Home Depot etc. Even if you live in a small apartment, you should have one. May need to be replaced every 5-6 years depending on that pressure gauge.

Recommended Places to Keep Fire Extinguishers Around Your Home
https://medium.com/wallflowerlabs/re...y-6f420c37d35c

First Alert 1038789 Standard Home Fire Extinguisher Red
https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-1...s%2C236&sr=8-3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 02:38 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Some feel newer residences burn faster, thanks to combustibles.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...-ago-1.1700063
Of course, prime, old growth, solid lumber was used for even large components like headers, 2x12 joists, studs. It hard to ignite because it's so dense.

Today, most everything except the basic 2x4 is engineered, a.k.a. wood chps glued together (OSB Oriented strand board, which by the way doesn't resist projectiles in a tornado nearly as well as solid plywood.

Sheathing is even made out of rigid foam boards these days

So, y'all give the OP a break, stories of bullets penetrating bedrooms are on the local news all the time here in Atlanta.

Someone from Florida may readily know benefits of concrete homes including protection from bullets. Termites are the main reason for using concrete, poured or CMU (Concrete masonry unit).

It's understandable to be concerned about fire if previously in an area dominated by concrete residential construction.

So, the world has already exhausted the supply of premium wood (in 60 short years), and we're left with much more flammable engineered lumber.

Conversely, the new trend in construction is Mass Timber, or engineered lumber sorta like what plywood is made of, but on a large scale.

They are now making huge beams, columns, girders of many layers of wood glued and compresses tightly so that it's now as hard to ignite as old growth solid wood.

We have an office building going up here in Atlanta's Atlantic Station completely made from wood.

Even towers of 11 and 17 stories are being built solely using wood. The floors are solid, I think, (no joists) plates 9' or 12' inches thick to be hard to ignite.

If I was able to build a house in Atlanta or the Triangle, I would want poured concrete walls at least on the lower 2 levels, because that can survive very strong tornados.

Unlike the flimsy construction of today like that apartment building in Raleigh under construction a couple of years ago that the wind picked up and tossed onto its side..

. Even 4x4 posts are now made like plywood, thin "peels" of wood glued together.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:09 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
I'd love to have a modern cinderblock home. One of my favorite homes back in Raleigh was cinderblock.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:17 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I'd love to have a modern cinderblock home. One of my favorite homes back in Raleigh was cinderblock.
You can skimcoat it to hide the blocks.

Of course bricks now are available in so many sizes and weights and shapes that the line is blurred betwee ugly cinderblocks and standard brick.

MY SF friend said he didn't like all the brick in the new development in downtown Raleigh, and I told him that I liked it because it's different and will leave a distinct impression in people's minds visiting.

I also reminded him that it's an indigenous product of NC, and at least it was a prettier color that on NC State's campus.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:00 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
You can skimcoat it to hide the blocks.

Of course bricks now are available in so many sizes and weights and shapes that the line is blurred betwee ugly cinderblocks and standard brick.
Strangely I like the concave jointwork on unpainted cinderblock. I guess "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary