Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times

Advertisements

Another reason to be conscientious, defensive drivers. My husband and I qualify for the cheapest rates, due to safe driving records, but still, a 20% increase is going to hurt.

We will be moving from middle class to poor before long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
While this will give insurers the ability to raise rates, the more likely outcome is that high risk drivers will see their rates rise farther than low risk ones. An insurer wants to keep customers that don't make claims, and drop those that do. This makes it easier to accomplish that.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 PM

83 posts, read 335,690 times
I've posted on this topic a few months back. I was a Product Manager for one of the large insurance writers in NC and the rating formula for auto is ridiculous.

Senator Rand is right on...this state does not allow enough segmentation in its rating to accurately price risks. What I mean by that is all drivers subsidize one another. For example, we know that teenage boys are a higher risk than teenage girls, yet you cannot discriminate on gender in NC. The reinsurance facility, which is the main issue here, operates at a negative since companies can't charge the appropriate premium for the highest risks.

Most everybody should have an idea about how competitive the industry is right now, especially in NC. The growth in population has created quite a market for insurance, especially that it tends to be more affluent population growth. Therefore, people can buy more than just auto like property, life, annuities, motorcycle, etc.

So, deregulation will provide a great opportunity for the best risks. EVERYBODY wants your business, and they will price it down near the bottom of the barrel. Why should I pay for somebody that has DUI's, speeding tickets, wreckless driving, etc.

With that said, the claims cost in NC are rising fairly significantly. The Avg Net Claim Payment of the company I worked for continued to increase each and every year. Some of that was risk selection, but a good part of it were market forces. Body shops, medical costs, etc have all been rising. That effects insurance just like everything else.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:33 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexguy View Post
I've posted on this topic a few months back. I was a Product Manager for one of the large insurance writers in NC and the rating formula for auto is ridiculous.

Senator Rand is right on...this state does not allow enough segmentation in its rating to accurately price risks. What I mean by that is all drivers subsidize one another. For example, we know that teenage boys are a higher risk than teenage girls, yet you cannot discriminate on gender in NC. The reinsurance facility, which is the main issue here, operates at a negative since companies can't charge the appropriate premium for the highest risks.

Most everybody should have an idea about how competitive the industry is right now, especially in NC. The growth in population has created quite a market for insurance, especially that it tends to be more affluent population growth. Therefore, people can buy more than just auto like property, life, annuities, motorcycle, etc.

So, deregulation will provide a great opportunity for the best risks. EVERYBODY wants your business, and they will price it down near the bottom of the barrel. Why should I pay for somebody that has DUI's, speeding tickets, wreckless driving, etc.

With that said, the claims cost in NC are rising fairly significantly. The Avg Net Claim Payment of the company I worked for continued to increase each and every year. Some of that was risk selection, but a good part of it were market forces. Body shops, medical costs, etc have all been rising. That effects insurance just like everything else.
Most excellent.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Quote:

This is a great response, excellent info it is what we need on here.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:25 AM

47 posts, read 247,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
We will be moving from middle class to poor before long.
Welcome to the club! It sucks, but at least you'll know you're definitely not alone.

Quote:
The reinsurance facility, which is the main issue here, operates at a negative since companies can't charge the appropriate premium for the highest risks.
While it's nice that insurance companies will be able to charge appropriately for high-risk drivers... what about those of us who have had a completely clean driving record since we started driving? Our rates are going to go up too - not because we suddenly started driving badly, but because everyone else is.

I'm not in favor of anything getting more expensive for no reason other than the fact that someone, somewhere, thinks the "royal we" can afford it.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxtayce View Post

I'm not in favor of anything getting more expensive for no reason other than the fact that someone, somewhere, thinks the "royal we" can afford it.
So you think that your auto insurance, bread and milk, gasoline, ANYTHING YOU BUY should stay the same price and that product/service providers should simply eat the inflation?

Rising auto insurance isn't solely about increased risks on the road and more bad drivers...

Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
So you think that your auto insurance, bread and milk, gasoline, ANYTHING YOU BUY should stay the same price and that product/service providers should simply eat the inflation?

Rising auto insurance isn't solely about increased risks on the road and more bad drivers...
Watch advertising, every company's trying to get more auto business. They must be doing quite well and don't need rate increases.

No homeowners promotions, though.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:59 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Driving record or claims history aren't the only things that determine rates. Credit score plays a big part.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:34 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times
Quote:
So you think that your auto insurance, bread and milk, gasoline, ANYTHING YOU BUY should stay the same price and that product/service providers should simply eat the inflation? Rising auto insurance isn't solely about increased risks on the road and more bad drivers...
No, of course not. A lot of times, it's oftentimes simply about greed.

Why anyone would advocate increased rates that creates a heavier burden on the middle class, I don't know (actually, I do). Gas prices go up and there are those who will side with the oil companies and, at the same time, boo-hoo the consumer. All the while, working class wages don't seem to be going up proportionately at all. So, now, we'll have less to spend for the rising food (which is far more expensive here than where I came from). 20% percent, relative to what people are bringing home to support their families, is just terrible and I would never support that especially since I haven't really had a need to use it.

And regardless of any insurance company rah-rah advocacy, insurance companies will always make more money than anyone will know what to do with while doing their best to prevent people from filing or receiving claims in ever clever ways (I know of people who won't file a claim out of simple fear that their rates will increase even if it's not their fault).

Even if insurance companies kept prices the same, I'm sure their profits will continue to be heavy. I highly doubt that they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary