Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 AM

24 posts, read 78,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
True, oh so true.

I would go with they were staring at you. I'll just say that low cut shirts and nose rings aren't the norm among the everyday populace (read as not on campus at UNC, Duke or NCCU) in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.
Haha..good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Don't do it. Let me repeat on more time, don't do it. Don't do it unless you need to move to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area for a job b/c you can't find one in the Phoenix area.

Its not like the Phoenix area is more expensive than Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill b/c it isn't. So that's not a reason to pick one over the other.

Also, both are good places to raise a fam so that's not a reason to pick one over the other.

Both places have brutal summers. So that is not a reason to pick one over the other. Although the winters in Phoenix are much better than winters in NC. That maybe a reason to pick Phoenix over Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.

As far as things to do, it depends on what you like to do. Phoenix is a bigger metro so its obvious that it'll have a few more things compared to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.

If you're really into outdoors stuff, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill has greenways as you mentioned but its nothing like hiking Camelback, Pinnacle Peak or South Mountain which are all located in the Phoenix area. So it depends on your preference.

Durham has the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) which I would assume is bringing more broadway shows and slightly more concerts to the area. Basically like the Dodge Theater in downtown Phoenix. However, Phoenix has more concerts, especially in the summer compared to Raliegh/Durham/Chapel Hill. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill fall short in that area even compared to Charlotte and especially Greensboro.

Raleigh area has decent nightlife but Phoenix has the edge.

For a area the size of R/D/CH, you'll prolly be satisfied with the things that are offered but once again it depends on what you're into. You also need to look at how you would fit into the 'scene' of R/D/CH compared to the Phoenix area.

As the previous poster stated, you won't get the same views and vistas in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill that you'll get in the Phoenix area. Both places look nice but the valley is beautiful. Lots of green in R/D/Ch and trees that are much taller than what you maybe used to. That makes the space around you and the sky seem smaller, while in Phoenix the lack of really tall trees creates a sky that is really big, which is nice.

And while R/D/CH have a relaxed feel it is different than that of the Phoenix area.

There are various cities to live in in Maricopa County so just don't rely on comparisons of Scottsdale versus R/D/CH. Look at it more as R/D/CH versus Peoria, Surprise, Goodyear, Glendale, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert.

IMO, the Phoenix area has a 'cooler' vibe. You may find that you fit in just as easy there if you don't have family or aren't attached to a significant other just as if you had those things.
Thanks for all your information! I have some hard decisions to make. How long have you lived in Raleigh? I also wonder how the dating scene is. I'm 25 and have no children and graduated college three years ago, so wondering how easy/hard it is to meet people.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM

46 posts, read 306,973 times
Those low cut shirts will help you meet people.
I guarantee it!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,713,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfan View Post
Those low cut shirts will help you meet people.
I guarantee it!
haha. Sure will.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,713,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswitzer25 View Post
Thanks for all your information! I have some hard decisions to make. How long have you lived in Raleigh? I also wonder how the dating scene is. I'm 25 and have no children and graduated college three years ago, so wondering how easy/hard it is to meet people.
How long have I lived here? How about 1 day too long! Seriously, like 2.5 years in this area but still 1 day too long. Personally, I find the Phoenix area to be a much better fit for myself which is why I am in the planning stages of a move to Phoenix for sometime in 2011. Little things like the economy and having a good job here are standing in my way of actually completing the move. However, like you I'm not married or attached to someone, have no children and even though I graduated from college a while ago, I'm only 5 years older than you are so I feel that the advice is still applicable.

The dating scene? Let's just say that there have been numerous threads on that topic. http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ies-gen-y.html Title is kind of janky (weird term I learned courtesy of my 'friend') but you will see from reading it that most of the people that responded are within our age group responded. I've posted in that thread as well.

I guess its not hard to meet people. I've met people at work or doing stuff that I like to do outside of work. Just depends on what your interests are. Better to go in wanting to meet people for friendships rather than trying to find a potential love interest. A lot of people will mention using meetup dot com and it can be a resource but once again it'll depend on your interests and the level of activity within a particular group.

Last edited by he's so hott; 07-14-2009 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
haha. Sure will.
Well here it's the norm so maybe I would shake things up a bit living there..lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary