Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 PM

51 posts, read 284,200 times

Advertisements

If you have moved from Phoenix to Raleigh area, please let me know how you like it there in Raleigh (which part). I have read a lot of positives and negatives, so would love to get the perspective of someone who lived in Phx. We live in N. Scottsdale right now (and love our area/home) and are considering a relo to Raleigh area.

We are in our mid 30's with one 3 year old girl. We like Scottsdale overall, but are just looking for a change of pace - where real estate is more reasonable. We love the openness of Phx too, you can see for miles and the mountains - so wondering if that will be missed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 10:51 PM

354 posts, read 1,218,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
If you have moved from Phoenix to Raleigh area, please let me know how you like it there in Raleigh (which part). I have read a lot of positives and negatives, so would love to get the perspective of someone who lived in Phx. We live in N. Scottsdale right now (and love our area/home) and are considering a relo to Raleigh area.

We are in our mid 30's with one 3 year old girl. We like Scottsdale overall, but are just looking for a change of pace - where real estate is more reasonable. We love the openness of Phx too, you can see for miles and the mountains - so wondering if that will be missed. Thanks!
I just went to Raleigh a couple of weeks back to check it out again. Lived in PV for 9 yrs with views to the four peaks, and moved last year to FH and I can see all the way to Tempe/Mesa.

A view lot in Raleigh is a wooded lot where you can only see trees. Makes you feel a bit closed in after living in Phoenix. But the trees and the greenery is a welcome change for me. I loved the heat all my life, but I guess I have had enough of it. Loking to hopefully move next year!

I looked at Cary and stuff along Creedmoor Road and Hwy 98. Some parts of Cary were nice but I preferred the more open spaces along Creedmoor and Hwy 98.

You have to go to Raleigh and get the 'feel' and only you can decide whether its good for you or not.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:35 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:

I'm in my late 20s and I left Chandler in Oct of this year only b/c of a job opp in Durham after spending the last 2 years in Chandler. When I move to Durham next Saturday I'll post with a brief rundown of my early thoughts. I'm currently in Florida so I'll also do a limited comparison of Florida and Raleigh-Durham.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:41 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
I looked at Cary and stuff along Creedmoor Road and Hwy 98. Some parts of Cary were nice but I preferred the more open spaces along Creedmoor and Hwy 98.
Just keep in mind that many folks are saying that the next big push is going to be along those roads.....I can see it coming in the last three years I've driven it from Wake Forest to Butner (in Granville county) every day. Other then the Falls Lake state park.....those wide open spaces my be getting fewer.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 20,867 times
It really depends on what your priorities are....we relocated here from Cali. I also own property in Glendale as well. Get use to seeing trees instead of rocks....

We came because of the low cost of living, great educational system, great healthcare, job market is really good, and its really a great place to raise a family. The pace is slower and the climate mild. No need to worry much about traffic either. There really is none in comparison, but I am not sure how long that will last. The growth here is exploding. If I was single I probably would not be living here, but then again Glenwood South is really growing and it a very happening place!! Good Luck to you.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:38 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post
If I was single I probably would not be living here, but then again Glenwood South is really growing and it a very happening place!! Good Luck to you.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't say that! Seriously, my experience has been that if you have the "game", then it doesn't matter where you live b/c you can handle you 'business' anywhere. The quality of the women and the looks are what will vary from region to region.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:43 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:

I have a client who has moved here from scottsdale, and they are trying to sell their house there before we really start looking at houses to buy here. He is like you, married, thirties, and an 18 month old. He has lived all over (from england originally) and his wife is from puerto rico. So, they decided to leave scottsdale (after 10 years) because he just didn't like the attitude there, according to him. People seemed self absorbed, a little on the snobby side and homegenous. Now, don't anyone flame me, that was HIS opinion. He said since moving to raleigh, they love the green, all of the green, and feel like people are quite friendly, but not enough to be annoying, and now this is his quote, "you can overheard conversations in restaurants that actually have substance".

So, I don't think they were in love with the place at the end, and that may make raleigh more appealing. In all honestly, it seems like a crap shoot. My sister grew up here, and moved to boulder for a year, and a month after going out there she said "I think I am more a beach person than a mountain person" and never really liked it there. It is all about your personal preference

Leigh

Old 12-27-2006, 02:38 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I have a client who has moved here from scottsdale, and they are trying to sell their house there before we really start looking at houses to buy here. He is like you, married, thirties, and an 18 month old. He has lived all over (from england originally) and his wife is from puerto rico. So, they decided to leave scottsdale (after 10 years) because he just didn't like the attitude there, according to him. People seemed self absorbed, a little on the snobby side and homegenous. Now, don't anyone flame me, that was HIS opinion. He said since moving to raleigh, they love the green, all of the green, and feel like people are quite friendly, but not enough to be annoying, and now this is his quote, "you can overheard conversations in restaurants that actually have substance".

So, I don't think they were in love with the place at the end, and that may make raleigh more appealing. In all honestly, it seems like a crap shoot. My sister grew up here, and moved to boulder for a year, and a month after going out there she said "I think I am more a beach person than a mountain person" and never really liked it there. It is all about your personal preference

Leigh
Well no one should "flame" leighbe here...

I am from Phoenix/Scottsdale too and have been to Raleigh.

I whole-heartedly agree with her clients opinions on both Scottsdale & Raleigh!

I had the same exact experience and feelings about both areas as her clients mention!

Good Input Leigh!

Old 12-27-2006, 03:26 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,165 times
Quote:

We're also in our 30's with young kids, and we're flying out there in 2 weeks to see if we like it, though we've pretty much made up our minds already to move there. I'm originally from the east coast and, while I've enjoyed living here in AZ for the past 3 yrs, I'm REALLY looking forward to being back where it's green, and also closer to the beach. I also think there's a lot more to do out there - DC, Philly and NYC are within driving distance or a short flight away. Here, you've got LA or San Diego....oh, and Vegas too....all fabulously fun places, but not very family oriented or educational.

I've heard from people who've lived in AZ for a long time that they feel clausterphobic when they're in areas with lots of trees and hills, so you may encounter that. It's not something you can't overcome though. Just go into it knowing that it'll look completely different then it does here in Phoenix.

While I agree that there are a LOT of superficial and/or rude people in this area, I think you get that everywhere, to a degree. Some places are harder to make friends then other places. But if you work at it, you can find good people in any city you live.

I'll post about our trip when we get back in mid-January. Maybe hearing from an Arizonan will help you a little bit. I also think you should take a trip out there and spend a week or so driving around to see if you like the vibe and can deal with the lack of dirt, rocks and brown everywhere

Old 12-28-2006, 09:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I am currently working with folks from Scottsdale but they call it "snottsdale"!!! Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary