Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 06:31 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
this doesn't really answer your question but I notice a big difference from where I'm from originally and here humor-wise. I'm used to people joking back and forth with each other, lots of sarcasm. I don't find that quick banter here.
So much humor is rooted in personal and local culture, it sometimes may seem that way.

I find people with great humor here, NC natives and folks from around the world.
No matter where they are from, I see smiles and hear laughter. It just takes a bit of insight into their personalities and interests to generate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 06:32 AM

1,228 posts, read 797,390 times
Bless your heart for this thread...

Old 03-25-2019, 06:49 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
this doesn't really answer your question but I notice a big difference from where I'm from originally and here humor-wise. I'm used to people joking back and forth with each other, lots of sarcasm. I don't find that quick banter here.
Where are you from?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 AM

270 posts, read 379,514 times
I was not meaning to imply that people in this area do not have a sense of humor, it just seems different to me.
I'm from South Jersey near Philly originally, been here 20 years. The humor just seemed more sarcasm-based there imo, more ribbing each other.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,358 times
Unfortunately, it's a national trend. You could joke about just about anything in the 90's. Now, it's national news and you're considered Hitler:

"Racist Instagram post about HBCU sparks Wake Forest probe"

(Student jokes one of the platforms for student body president was to “build a wall” between them and nearby school, madness ensues.)

I do agree it's slightly less pernicious in the South, though.

Last edited by vulfpeck; 03-25-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Unfortunately, it's a national trend. You could joke about just about anything in the 90's. Now, if you joke on Insta about building a wall between two colleges, it's national news and you're considered Hitler.

"Racist Instagram post about HBCU sparks Wake Forest probe"

I do agree it's slightly less pernicious in the South, though.

Eh.
There is so much low-hanging irony in the world, being a bit careful and respectful is hardly a restraint.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Eh.
There is so much low-hanging irony in the world, being a bit careful and respectful is hardly a restraint.
I preferred the 90's. Somehow we seemed to be much more respectful when we weren't intentionally blowing things out of proportion.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I preferred the 90's. Somehow we seemed to be much more respectful when we weren't intentionally blowing things out of proportion.

Well, I was thinner and had more hair in the '90's.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:12 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
I'm surprised some of the shows from the 90's like Friends and Seinfeld can even be syndicated, some of the humor would have the companies that produced them shut down today.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:17 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
I think a big part of it was the opportunities available were quite good for everyone. Lots of jobs, hiring, booming stock market, good political leadership. I was in middle school and high school then and I just remember things being really really good overall. The early 90's had the recession "it's the economy stupid" per Clinton etc. but the later half was just awesome. Actually kinda reminded me of the last few years to be honest.

When folks don't have to compete as much things get a lot nicer...mostly why Midwest people tend to be a lot nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary