Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 02:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to block a poster so I don’t need to read pro-Trump stuff?

I think increasing the budget will give you a lot more options.
Good thing you don't want to block the anti-Trump stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 06:52 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me how to block a poster so I don’t need to read pro-Trump stuff?

I use a dual screen setup on my home desktop.

Sometimes I look at the Left one.
Sometimes I look at the Right one.

At the office, I have a more nuanced approach.
I have four screens, so I can parse stuff out in more detail.

On my phone?
I just turn my head as desired.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:17 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:

I think increasing the budget will give you a lot more options.
IMO it can be a mistake to "block" people unless they tend to stalk/attack. Example, while I lean right in economics I watched Bernie's town hall last night and was incredibly impressed. I really like what he has to say on some subjects.

I think people may disagree in how to accomplish goals but the vast majority all want the outcome to be similar. The left proclaims to be "open minded" but in this thread there are numerous examples, such as yours, being the exact opposite.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 AM

171 posts, read 142,816 times
Would you consider a townhome? Like many of the other responders I would recommend DT Cary.

There seem to be some high quality Townhomes going in behind the Methodist Church. You'll have the Park right across the street. Libraries, restaurants, businesses, a theater, etc in walking distance. If you're civic minded you could even walk to the Town Council meetings. Eventually there will be a commuter rail stop, and a BRT stop in downtown.

That's got to be one of the best options for what you've described. I like the Townhomes because of the low maintenance as you get into retirement and that you have the park for your open space. It's also simpler than a teardown or renovation project.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:12 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
IMO it can be a mistake to "block" people unless they tend to stalk/attack. Example, while I lean right in economics I watched Bernie's town hall last night and was incredibly impressed. I really like what he has to say on some subjects.

I think people may disagree in how to accomplish goals but the vast majority all want the outcome to be similar. The left proclaims to be "open minded" but in this thread there are numerous examples, such as yours, being the exact opposite.
I would rep this if I could

Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahasaurus View Post
My wife and I will return to the Triangle in 6-12 months from Europe, where we've lived for many years. I will work from home and can therefore live more or less wherever I want, so long as it's not too far from a decent airport.

I'd really appreciate your help in finding the right community within the Triangle to narrow my search. I know the Triangle a bit - I briefly lived in Wake Forest for a few years, but that was a long time ago. But I'm very ignorant on most of what the Triangle has to offer. Also, my criteria are bit specific, and perhaps non-standard.

We have grown children who are out of the house, but also a small daughter (2 years old). We ideally want to raise our daughter in this home, and retire in this home. I'm over 50, wife is mid 40's...

I'm looking for the following:

1 - A progressive community.

2 - Not too far from restaurants, cafes, etc. Ideally locally owned restaurants and cafes, not Starbucks and TGI Fridays. If some are in walking distance, perfect!

3 - Sidewalks so we can walk walk walk. I really love parts of Durham, but it seems there are few sidewalks in the city, which is probably a dealbreaker for us.

4 - A small home (by American standards). Ideally 1800 - 2500 sq ft max. 3 bedrooms is ideal. We could even do a 2-bedroom home. The older the home the better, but even new construction is possible.

5 - Ability to have a small garden, as both my wife and I love working in the yard.

6 - Relatively good schools for our daughter.

7 - Budget is difficult. I'd love to purchase the home in cash. And because we're looking for a small home, my goal is to find something for around 350k USD.

I've been looking in both Durham and Chapel Hill. Any suggestions on specific neighborhoods from those two towns that fit my needs?

Also, Chapel Hill is probably more expensive than most other towns in the Triangle. So are there any other communities outside of Durham or Chapel Hill that might fit my needs?

Thanks for your help!

My partner and I are moving to Triangle pretty soon as well, and we have the same criteria as you outlined here. We do not have a kid, so schools are not a priority for us. We decided it's going to be Durham for us. It seems pretty progressive. There were a lot of small, things that some people might find insignificant but these were signs of a progressive thinking population to us. Some of these off the top of my head:

1. Signs welcoming refugees and transgender people were everywhere. Same with the Black Lives Matter posters in many residential areas.

2. I picked up a lot of local magazines and newspapers, and there were a lot of insightful articles about politics, society and other issues. One of the magazines had a write up about a local gay Muslim woman, another was about shakers-and-movers of Durham... some were involved in a social activist type of things, others were creating business and jobs.... but all were an incredibly interesting diverse group of people.

3. Every eatery we went to had recycling bins, compost, etc. A service that provides reusable to-go containers to the customers/restaurants seemed to be doing pretty well (which to us means that people are conscious about the environment).

4. People seemed pretty health conscious. The Durham co-op market had a lot of good fresh produce, organic and vegan products. We also noticed a lot of people walking, running, cycling or walking their dogs along many of Durham's greenways.

3. And, of course, having Duke and other big universities nearby, this place is pretty intelligent and quirky. I remember we had either a coffee or chocolate in a small shop. One of the things on the menu was called "Kublaikhan"... we were like "well okay if they think they can call something a Kublaikhan, 1) they are well read; 2) they know their customers are well read.

I know these are kind of small things... but I think it's these small things tell you who the people are in this place. So, hands down, it's Durham for us. Nothing against Raleigh, but we didn't get the same vibe there. Maybe it's because it is a bigger city and we come from a bigger place, so we are trying to avoid that. Chapel Hill just seemed like a regular college town to me. It was nice and progressive, but I lived in some many college towns, and it felt the same.

We liked the following neighborhoods:

Trinity Park -- too expensive though and it's a pretty popular place. We are seeing some smaller houses come on but they disappear quickly.

Duke Park -- We see a lot of Tudor and mid-mods there. Some require work, but others seem to be pretty liveable. Here is one example. This has been sitting on the market for a long time.. and just recently the status changed to "contingent"... I think because it was 2-1, plus it not totally updated. I'll be curious to see how much it sold for: https://www.redfin.com/NC/Durham/141.../home/43524303

We are also looking in south Durham, around Lyon park and Tuscaloosa-Lakewood neighborhoods. We liked it cause they looked pretty green, wooded without being cookie-cutter/suburbian but still close to downtown.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM

31 posts, read 25,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
We are also looking in south Durham, around Lyon park and Tuscaloosa-Lakewood neighborhoods. We liked it cause they looked pretty green, wooded without being cookie-cutter/suburbian but still close to downtown.
Durham seems like a great cultural fit for us. However - and this may sound petty - the lack of sidewalks is a huge minus for me. I just like walking, and sidewalks make the experience much more pleasurable (not to mention safer). I like seeing neighbors walk by. I like how sidewalks get people out of their cars.

Pity there are so few neighborhoods in Durham with sidewalks!

Old 04-17-2019, 03:18 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Durham seems like a great cultural fit for us. However - and this may sound petty - the lack of sidewalks is a huge minus for me. I just like walking, and sidewalks make the experience much more pleasurable (not to mention safer). I like seeing neighbors walk by. I like how sidewalks get people out of their cars.

It's annoying. I wrote the city about getting a sidewalk on the main street outside of my neighborhood and they agreed one is needed but it's far far down on the list.

I think there's an ordinance that they get put in for any new construction or major renovations. I could be wrong about that last part.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:

(((pssssttt....Carrboro)))

I've posted this before but it always makes me smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aia9_fAaKKI

The original from 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImfDX4S75pM

On a less silly note you might like this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/t...-carrboro.html

Old 04-17-2019, 07:24 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
HatchChile add the Durham Farmers Market to your list of places to check out in Durty Durm.

Carrboro Farmers Market is excellent and super popular too and very very long running (50 + years). Everything has to be grown or produced w/in 50 miles too, so no trucked in citrus or anything like that. All fresh all year long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary