Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:14 PM

197 posts, read 208,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahasaurus View Post
Durham seems like a great cultural fit for us. However - and this may sound petty - the lack of sidewalks is a huge minus for me. I just like walking, and sidewalks make the experience much more pleasurable (not to mention safer). I like seeing neighbors walk by. I like how sidewalks get people out of their cars.

Pity there are so few neighborhoods in Durham with sidewalks!
It's probably out of your price range but neighborhoods around Duke East Campus (Trinity Park, Trinity Heights, Old West Durham) are great for that. I lived in Trinity Park and loved walking around admiring other peoples beautiful gardens. Plus, Halloween is a blast! It'd be great for your little one. When it's time to work with a realtor, include that area in case he/she can find something in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 09:35 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellurium View Post
It's probably out of your price range but neighborhoods around Duke East Campus (Trinity Park, Trinity Heights, Old West Durham) are great for that. I lived in Trinity Park and loved walking around admiring other peoples beautiful gardens. Plus, Halloween is a blast! It'd be great for your little one. When it's time to work with a realtor, include that area in case he/she can find something in your price range.
These are definitely great areas that OP would have everything they've said they are looking for. You can get into Trinity Park for under $400k. It may not be the most updated house and you'll probably be one of 10-15+ offers....but it's not out of the question.

Taxes will be lower than in Carrboro/In-town CH.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:59 PM

31 posts, read 25,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellurium View Post
We'll see. My plan was to purchase in cash, but obviously if I change my mind on that the budget increases dramatically.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Taxes will be lower than in Carrboro/In-town CH.
On a $350,000 house it looks like taxes would be about $1000 lower annually in Durham, $4700 vs $5700. Whether that is a tipping point or not I don't know.

Durham property taxes: https://www.dconc.gov/government/dep...te-my-tax-bill

Orange County/Chapel Hill/Carrboro property taxes: https://www.townofchapelhill.org/tow...t/tax-payments

Old 04-18-2019, 06:34 AM

174 posts, read 194,493 times
I wonder what would happen if someone posted they didn't want to live near progressives...

Old 04-18-2019, 06:35 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolector View Post
I wonder what would happen if someone posted they didn't want to live near progressives...
That thread got locked.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:46 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
HatchChile add the Durham Farmers Market to your list of places to check out in Durty Durm.

Carrboro Farmers Market is excellent and super popular too and very very long running (50 + years). Everything has to be grown or produced w/in 50 miles too, so no trucked in citrus or anything like that. All fresh all year long.
We did when we visited Durham last October, and were pretty impressed with the selection. Plus it wasn't crowded at all! The location was perfect too. Although I heard that they'll be moving it to the Brightleaf area... not sure if that's true.

Our friends who went to UNC keep telling us to check out Carrboro. They haven't lived or visited the area for a decade and I do not think they believe us when we say "Durham reminds us of Austin 20 years ago"... We could totally see them gasping and going "but... but the gangs."

Old 04-18-2019, 12:19 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I like 'em all.

I prefer a smaller town so Carrboro and Chapel Hill work well for me.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:17 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That thread got locked.
It wasn’t just because of the question asked.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:20 AM

20 posts, read 21,301 times
I live in Walltown, right near the NCSSM, and there are sidewalks on both sides of the street, on my street and all the neighboring streets. Trinity Park, Old West Durham, Watts-Hillandale, all have sidewalks too. I run through those neighborhoods all the time. Been here for about a year and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary