Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:35 AM

219 posts, read 588,760 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody....

I got a couple of questions for all that know the area. My wife and I live in Orlando (which we HATE) and are seriously considering moving to the Raleigh area near Sept of this year.

Her family is from Penn, which is to cold for me. And mine is from Florida, which we want to get far away from. So it seemed NC would be a neutral point. We initially thought of Raleigh because of the professional hockey. I am a die hard nut and cannot live far away from a pro team.

We know not a soul up there so it plans to be a fun expierence that we are looking forward to...we are both huge people persons and love meeting new friends. We did visit the area last fall and pretty much drove around for like 5 days looking at everything. We liked Cary, but we are thinking we want to build a house in a little more rural area (we looked at a couple of new construction homes in Holly Springs like we liked...any comments on that area).

We are both in health care which I have already spoke to a few hospitals in the area. Work doesn't seem like it will be an issue at all. So I guess we are just looking for some perspective from people who live in the areas. Good, bad, just anything.

Well...hope to hear some feedback...

Peace....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 03:33 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
No Disney, but nice.

Healthcare is alive and well here.

Come for a while and get a real taste for the area. If you want semi-rural living, you'll find it here. Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 04-13-2008 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: flame, and contains no info

Old 04-13-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
No Disney, but nice.

Healthcare is alive and well here.

Come for a while and get a real taste for the area. If you want semi-rural living, you'll find it here. Cary attracts a special type of resident who doesn't mind having their property controlled for them by a homeowners association.

The problem with Orlando is that everybody thinks "Disney"! Happy people and smiling families and all that jazz. They are not exposed to the real Orlando. I hate that mouse!!!! You know orlando moved up on the list this year...11th most dangerous city in the US (WE BEAT COMPTON!!!!)

Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
I think it'll be a good transition for you - I came from Florida as well, but I was on the coast (St. Petersburg) and I really miss the gulf. You'll be about the same distance as you were from the ocean, with nicer scenery and more opportunity.

Yup the real Orlando is not that enticing

Old 04-13-2008, 05:43 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
Hey man,

I too came from FLA via Phoenix via FLA but originally from Duvallllllllllllllllllllllll (FLA)! If you want a good transition away from FL then NC is a good spot. I'm liking this area more and more but it will take some time to get used to. You're tailor made for the area because you're coming up here already in a marriage so you'll fit right in and feel comfortable.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:17 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,233 times
i moved from tampa to raleigh in 2001 knowing noone (except family in charlotte)& i will admit I moved here for my hockey fix and wanted to be closer to family but still far enough away :| (i do miss tampa though)

Old 04-13-2008, 06:55 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
You will truly like it here. I also moved from Boca in 1991. Haven't looked back and don't plan on leaving. Much to do in the area and you won't have any trouble finding a place to live as there are many areas in which you describe would fit. Just have to decide if you want to live North of Raleigh, South of Raleigh.. and so on. I know there is plenty of work in your field, so like you said, I'm sure that won't be a problem. We have great parks (Umstead) outdoor concerts in Summer, the weather is very similar in the Summer, yet you still have the seasons.. not severe winters.. beach is 2 hours away, Mountains are 4 hours away. Halfway to PA and FL.. (you now will be referred to as a "Halfback" - people who have lived in North - go to Fl- then come halfway back). Plus the people are friendly. Anyway, Welcome and enjoy what we all have known that live here.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:59 AM

455 posts, read 918,947 times
This is going to sound really silly, but it's the first thing I noticed when moving from Orlando to the Raleigh area. Flowers. I came up in spring/summer and there were colorful flowers everywhere. I just never saw flowers in Orlando like that!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:13 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
I'm in the same situation. We moved from PA 8 years ago. My husband would like to go back to PA. I could never do those long winters again! So to compromise, NC is halfway in between. Our family is in PA, but our daughter will be in FL for college. We did the same thing and drove all over the last time we visited. We liked WF and N Raleigh. N. Raliegh reminds me of Altamonte Springs/436 area. Wake Forest reminds me kind of like Lake Mary, but more spread out. I guess it depends where you work. If you want more rural, you can try Youngsville. We also looked at Holly Springs and liked it. It seems to be growing. Too us, Holly Springs was too rural. Only b/c shopping was a bit far. Tou have to go to FV or Cary. Although, the new Walmart is open on 55 which is great. WF seems to have everthing from shopping, restaurants, and rural. It depends what you like and if you don't mind traveling. Cary wasn't for us. I know I hear people talk about most of the nightlife being downtown. You might want be closer. It also depends on if you're renting or buying and your price range. I can only speak from what I saw when we visited. I hope it's helpful! Hope to see you there. We still have to sell our house.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm in the same situation. We moved from PA 8 years ago. My husband would like to go back to PA. I could never do those long winters again! So to compromise, NC is halfway in between. Our family is in PA, but our daughter will be in FL for college. We did the same thing and drove all over the last time we visited. We liked WF and N Raleigh. N. Raliegh reminds me of Altamonte Springs/436 area. Wake Forest reminds me kind of like Lake Mary, but more spread out. I guess it depends where you work. If you want more rural, you can try Youngsville. We also looked at Holly Springs and liked it. It seems to be growing. Cary wasn't for us. I know I hear people talk about most of the nightlife being downtown. You might want be closer. It also depends on if you're renting or buying and your price range. I can only speak from what I saw when we visited. I hope it's helpful! Hope to see you there. We still have to sell our house.

That does help beckycat. Thanks. I can feel your pain will having to sell. The market is horrible right now!! I was fortunate. I owned a rather large house in Ocala and was renting a condo in Orlando...when we decided to move outta Fl I stressed that we would not be able to get rid of my house. Luck was on my side. We were at my house in Ocala having a BBQ and a close friend remarked how much he loved my place. With a few talks and a couple of beers he bought it. I didn't make much and he got a great deal, which was fine by me. I was just glad to have it gone! We live in Stonybrook in the waterford lakes area which we like but still just want to get away from Florida! Good luck to you guys on your sell and move!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary