Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 PM

22 posts, read 16,794 times

Advertisements

There is a strong possibility that my family will relocate from LI to NC as soon as this summer due to A work opportunity for my DH. I have lived in NY all my life and the thought of moving is both exciting but overwhelming. I have read MANY similar threads but wanted some suggestions based on my specific needs/wants.

We have 3 children ages 14, 6, & 4. Good public schools are one of the most important things to me when deciding where to live but of course we have to be in an area within our ideal budget of 300,000 - 400,000. We need a minimum of 4 bedrooms, would love an updated home and would prefer at least .25 of an acre but it’s not a must. I know it’s best to rent then buy but honestly I just want to move and settle for a few years. We now live in a 5 bedroom home with 2 living areas an office, basement, full garage, and lawn furniture so I think it may be easier to just buy a home and move into it, I dont have the energy to do it all 2x with 3 kids.

My 14 year old is starting high school in September and we found out he has been placed into all honors courses as well as AP biology, I’m hoping he can still be in these classes in whatever school he goes to in NC, I don’t want him to be disadvantaged by moving because he has really worked very hard. Having good elementary and Jr high schools are also important because of the two younger children.

The wake County school system is dizzying to me and it just does not seem as straight forward as LI, I’m really having a trying time figuring it out. We live in a town here and my son will go to the town HS, there is no re-zoning, no caping etc. People buy more expensive homes and pay higher taxes Partly to have good schools. Seems like in Wake County it’s always a gamble. I would hate to pay for a higher priced home due to good schools only for the kids to end up at another school in the end.

I would also like a location that is family friendly with great town based activities for the kids such as summer camps and within a 30 minute commute from north Raleigh. I would love for major stores like Target or Walmart to be in fairly close proximity (10-15 min). I work as an RN so being close to hospitals is also very important.

For reference our current town offers things such as swimming, tennis, golf, karate, music, & kayaking lessons at greatly reduced prices. There are also town summer camps, and concerts as well as much more. I’m hoping I can find a town to live in that offers similar programs even if just a few......my taxes are much much higher in LI so I don’t expect as much but something would be nice.

We have thought about :
Holly Springs (concerned about the landfill and power plant however)
Wake forest

Hopefully my needs and wants are realistic in NC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
(Of course we will get a realtor to help once everything is solidified In the coming weeks )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 08:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Between Wake Forest and Holly Springs, Wake Forest would be the much better choice commute-wise to N. Raleigh.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Between Wake Forest and Holly Springs, Wake Forest would be the much better choice commute-wise to N. Raleigh.
Thank you for your input!

Old 05-19-2019, 09:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
Raleigh parks and rec has a lot of those youth programs available, but I don’t know if you can access them if you live in another city. You might be able to find a nice house in N Raleigh, but it would be difficult to get a 5BR house at your price point in most areas of the triangle.
M

Old 05-19-2019, 09:13 PM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
You can get close to N Raleigh.
You will probably have to compromise on how updated the home is, but in your budget, you should be able to get something that is turnkey.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Raleigh parks and rec has a lot of those youth programs available, but I don’t know if you can access them if you live in another city. You might be able to find a nice house in N Raleigh, but it would be difficult to get a 5BR house at your price point in most areas of the triangle.
M
Thanks for your input. I’ll definitely look into north Raleigh a little more. 5 bedrooms would be great but we can certainly do 4 bedrooms.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You can get close to N Raleigh.
You will probably have to compromise on how updated the home is, but in your budget, you should be able to get something that is turnkey.
Of course we are willing to compromise, I don’t want to have to undertake major renovations right away so turn key ready would be fine if I can get a lot of the other things important to us like schools, activities and location.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
Sanderson and Leesville are both pretty good high schools. You’ll just have to figure out which elementary and middle schools you want that feed into them.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:15 AM

45 posts, read 29,123 times
Be sure to consider the lack of good public transit.

Trains have been discarded in favor of horribly designed roads filled with rude speed demons.

Be sure the higher salary is worth it. Many Wake County schools are overcrowded.

What I really miss in NYC is the MTA.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:41 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTC TRSIDENT View Post
Be sure to consider the lack of good public transit.

Trains have been discarded in favor of horribly designed roads filled with rude speed demons.

Be sure the higher salary is worth it. Many Wake County schools are overcrowded.

What I really miss in NYC is the MTA.
Saturnfan, I’ve missed you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary