Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 AM

137 posts, read 306,171 times

Advertisements

Try Blue Hand Home in Carrboro They sell Cisco Brothers sofas--not cheap, but will last a long time and they have a more budget friendly line for stock items. It is family owned and the owner is happy to educate you on what a good quality sofa should have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

360 posts, read 399,478 times
Take a look at Rowe furniture sofas and sectionals at Heavner Furniture Market.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
Ok, wasn't sure if you were also referring to company's mentioned in other posts, since "all" covers a lot of territory, and those other companies do provide quality, made in the USA furniture.
yes, sorry for the confusion. by "all" I just meant those big box furniture stores.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Mitchell Gold makes extremely high quality furniture here in NC: https://www.mgbwhome.com/
Great stuff Got two of their sofas. Held up great so far.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM

289 posts, read 254,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
We just ordered a Sherrill sofa and loveseat. Not cheap, but great quality. And they're made in NC!
Thank you. My wife and I will check out Sherrill.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Mitchell Gold makes extremely high quality furniture here in NC: https://www.mgbwhome.com/
Thank you, we'll check out Mitchell Gold.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Yes, it's all made in China and made with particle board, mostly. They all market themselves as something unique and different, but, are they? I would not be surprised if the carcass on all of them comes from the same manufacturer from somewhere "work your people to death" shop in China. Also, you never know what kind of chemicals they are using to treat the carcass or the upholstery.

I like a couple of furniture builders from Maine. Thomas Moser is an incredible contemporary American furniture maker whose work is somewhat affordable (compared to anything by Sam Maloof, for example). But it's heirloom quality furniture that will last forever.

If you do not care for heirloom stuff, but would like to check out local furniture builders who pay their people fair wage and build everything here in the US, check out https://www.cococohome.com/. If I am not wrong, they are an NC business, too. There are other small furniture businesses, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. You can customize everything, but it won't cost you a leg and an arm. It'll be the same price you'd pay for RH furniture, but you know that you paid someone local to stay in business, and not some colossal furniture company that's shipping everything from China for $500 and selling it to you for $4000+.
Thank you for the recommendations. We actually own some Thomas Moser pieces; two dressers and two night tables. Very nice furniture, but not what we are looking for right now. Still, thank you for making me take the time to browse their website. The only other furniture we have of comparable quality was made by my Grand father.

Cococo might be an option for us. Thanks again.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
companies mentioned in OP's post.
No all. Some Ethan Allen pieces are still made here, and as far as I know, all Bassett furniture is made in NC and VA.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Ok, wasn't sure if you were also referring to company's mentioned in other posts, since "all" covers a lot of territory, and those other companies do provide quality, made in the USA furniture.
No all of the brands I mentioned. Some Ethan Allen pieces are still made here, and as far as I know, all Bassett furniture is made in NC and VA.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll take the comfortable, good looking couch for $1,000 bucks instead of the $4,000 one. I'll replace it every 4-5 years. I like redecorating and it's nice to 'keep up' with current design trends.

But we also buy our mattresses online, paying 1/4 to 1/3 the price in one of those mattress stores in every corner. The one We have had for 3 years still feels like new.
I understand, and I think that's great. I've just always appreciated quality, and do not care the least about keeping with any trends. Along with quality, I appreciate what some would call timeless style. Stuff that always looks good. Also, the next time around, I hope to find an upholsterer who actually wants business thrown his/her way. That way, my quality piece can be "made new again", and the look can be altered if I wish (not likely, though )

Style is subjective, but do jeans and a t-shirt ever go out of style?

As for mattresses, I do have a an expensive mattress in our guest room. We did not buy it, and I probably would never have it in my home had I needed to open my wallet to buy it. We also have a Mattress Factory mattress in our room. It our second one, and we've been satisfied. We might go back.

I have been interested in some of the online mattress sellers. I thought about checking out Casper, but I just spoke with somebody yesterday (customer at Bassett) who said they loved theirs ... for six months. That concerned me. Which mattress did you get?

Thanks for the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary