Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2019, 05:35 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'm sure we will consider it when the time comes. Right now my husband is driving a Prius to Burlington which is a huge improvement over our previous car. He puts on 64 miles round trip, so it's a good savings. And I'm sure an electric vehicle would be perfect for him for that commute but we're not in the market right now. We're hoping our minivan lasts us until the kids get through college. We like all of the room it provides for our trips and for transporting things. It's a 2011.
Makes sense. I'm sure you have many years left on that minivan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 07:53 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I still see plenty of Explorers, F-150s, Tahoes, Escalades, etc. In terms of sedans, I don't know that U.S. brands ever made up anything more than a minority, at least not since the 70s or 80s.

Drive through Michigan. You will never see so many mustangs, challengers, and chargers in your life. People are very proud to drive american cars there.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:50 AM

465 posts, read 699,493 times
Agree must be a midwest thing. Noticed the same thing in Indiana although this was years ago. Never seen so many Buicks!

Old 05-27-2019, 10:16 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Drive through Michigan. You will never see so many mustangs, challengers, and chargers in your life. People are very proud to drive american cars there.
It doesn't hurt that many of them either work for or have family that works for Ford/GM/FCA which qualifies them for special pricing.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:41 PM

59 posts, read 34,699 times
Also leasing is way less than owning the auto. In three years you can exchange for a newer model with more options.Plus moving here from NYC it is very convenient to park and plug your electric car. Apartment complexes, Office parks and even the McDonald's in Cary have charge stations.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:49 PM

781 posts, read 743,426 times
I’m new to the area, but yes I do notice a large amount of higher end cars. I can afford one, but don’t want it, would rather save the $.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:26 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
If you actually have the money and plan to pay off your auto loan earlier than what you got it for, AND you are an auto enthusiast, then it's the American way to go ahead and enjoy. But if you can't save for retirement nor your kids college, and you want that Chevy Tahoe, BMW, Audi or Tesla then it's a big problem. Nobody talks about auto loans becoming a problem for the economy down the road.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:29 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I own a couple BMW's. You might see them more cause they are awesome vehicles and fun to drive. Not sure about all the Benz's however.
BMWs prior to 2012 with hydraulic steering are the best driving cars there ever was.

The new BMWs including the M3s have electric steering & a computer translating everything between you and the car. They lost all of that feedback that was so enjoyable.

They are officially the fastest depreciating cars now, so the $50-70K new will only worth 50% in three short years.

I've heard people rave about Tesla's handling, so I'm curious how a computer can do such a good job with them and such a lousy job with new BMWs.

To the person saying they merely get you from point A to B, I would say that's true, but people spend a substantial time in their cars, and for some they're personal me time with great sound systems as you experience the piece of America that you live in.

They make a statement about people, as do the shoes they wear, whether they care about cars or not.

That's why GM and Ford sold the same car under different badges before we were inundated with foreign cars. There had to be enough differentiation to satisfy people's need for expression of individuality.

What I'm leading up to is to is the need to impress with status symbols. We can all see that.

There's even more that going on. Minority groups receive the subliminal message in America that anything less than being white and affluent makes you a lessor person. Through my Latino friends in LA, despite that in LA Latinos are the majority, I learned after many years of friendship that his being proud of having a gold credit card and the Lexus coupe he drove, were how he combatted the notion of being 2nd class.

In fact that was about the only weapon many minorities could fight or prove false the label of 2nd class status.

I've always loved cars, but one of my favorite aspects, the new smell that came from formaldehyde & plastic leeching out, is now a thing of the past.

All of the eco material like soy & other plants used in seat foam, etc. now doesn't have that intoxicating chemical smell, ending justification for me to buy new.

I used to say that cars were the one thing that truly got better with time.

But the zeal to reduce weight and be eco conscious have made me 2nd guess that now.

Oh, and I've always kept my car clean inside, no items lying around at all. Only my phone and my iPod aren't part of the car itself.

I couldn't ever have fast food containers, and misc items lying around.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM

275 posts, read 232,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
What I'm leading up to is to is the need to impress with status symbols. We can all see that.
Not everyone buys into that myth.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:15 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Oh, and I've always kept my car clean inside, no items lying around at all. Only my phone and my iPod aren't part of the car itself.

I couldn't ever have fast food containers, and misc items lying around.
You sound like me. I’m curious as hell about the inside of my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary