Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:06 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I love Honda and Toyota, but being 6'6" is a challenge getting into one. I usually buy Tahoe for that reason, but plan on checking Honda again before buying next time. I just replaced hydraulic motor mounts on my 2013 Tahoe at 83,000 miles, and it's getting to be car shopping time again soon.
Have you enjoyed your Tahoe?

Wife wants a Tahoe or Suburban next as our QX60 isn't big enough for road trips back North with the kids and dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 02:10 PM

695 posts, read 996,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I love Honda and Toyota, but being 6'6" is a challenge getting into one. I usually buy Tahoe for that reason, but plan on checking Honda again before buying next time. I just replaced hydraulic motor mounts on my 2013 Tahoe at 83,000 miles, and it's getting to be car shopping time again soon.
Yes, repairs start to add up as the vehicle ages. In Michigan, the state with the worst roads in the country by a wide margin, lots of damage is incurred when vehicles hit potholes, which can be enormous, and for unknown reasons, are not fixed!

But, of course, the state is always coming up with ways to get more money to "fix the damn roads." The most recent governor actually ran on that platform! LOL And now wants to raise the gas tax by $.45, the highest of any state! To fix the damn roads! Yikes! Yet, a couple years ago, the state raised the registration fees for the purpose of...guess what? Fixing the damn roads! But of course, it didn't happen, who knows where that money went, and things continue to crumble. I will be soooo glad to be out of here this summer.

One repair shop in SE MI reported that a Ford hit a huge pothole so hard that the strut was thrown up through the fender and the car was totaled. The governor is even uploading photos of potholes and car damage to a website. But, not much will change any time soon.

Last edited by olderandwiser456; 05-24-2019 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-24-2019, 02:18 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
I've had good luck with Hondas and Toyotas lasting about 10 years. I get rid of them when the repairs start to become costly. I had to replace the AC compressor last summer in a Honda sedan, and the dealer wanted $1600. My indie shop did it for $650. Works great! Very cool! LOL

Same, again. We have a 10 year old Honda and a 2 year old Honda. They retain their value surprisingly well. I still have comp and collision on the 10 year old because of it's value. I think we've put about $3000 into non-maintenance repairs into it in a decade. It's just a really good vehicle. Looks like heck but it's staying.

The "new" one is on a 0.9% loan so although we can pay it off now, we don't. We'll keep that money in a high yield savings account for liquid cash, just in case.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:20 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,041 times
Quote:
Yes, repairs start to add up as the vehicle ages. In Michigan, the state with the worst roads in the country by a wide margin, lots of damage is incurred when vehicles hit potholes, which can be enormous, and for unknown reasons, are not fixed!

But, of course, the state is always coming up with ways to get more money to "fix the damn roads." The most recent governor actually ran on that platform! LOL And now wants to raise the gas tax by $.45, the highest of any state! To fix the damn roads! Yikes! Yet, a couple years ago, the state raised the registration fees for the purpose of...guess what? Fixing the damn roads! But of course, it didn't happen, who knows where that money went, and things continue to crumble. I will be soooo glad to be out of here this summer.
Could always do what the guy in Philly is doing.

Spray painting wieners around potholes forcing the local government to fix them...or have a wiener spray painted on the road.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:30 PM

4,534 posts, read 3,738,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The Tesla influx is massive around here. They seem to be popular among the Indian population and techies (lots of overlap there). The Tesla 3 was a 35k dollar car when the tax rebates we're in effect...not sure if they still are. Can you even buy a Camry or Accord for 35k these days?

Judging by the insanely rapid increase in Tesla's in the Triangle, they must be killing it. I personally like to be able to take my car on trips when necessary.

I hope Tesla and Elon Musk does well - his other company - SpaceX even is starting to make rockets for NASA. Now that's a lot of work.

The thing I like is 360 cameras when movement is sensed like a Ring camera. I think even the Model 3 has this capability if you buy the upgrade? I'm not sure, but seems like a great thing to see who keyed your car.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:36 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,917,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Have you enjoyed your Tahoe?
I sure have. I started out years ago with Chevy Blazer, then Suburban, and bought my first Tahoe in 1999. I've had a 2005 and 2013 since. I buy the base model LS Tahoe 2WD. All three were great cars.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Quote:
As I mentioned in the other thread on car "keying," I better get that Univ of Michigan Wolverine plate off the front of the car and replace it with Duke, just to be on the safe side!
Oh geez, don't do that! You'll be more likely to get keyed. Just leave the Wolverines on there. Nobody cares about them, but plenty of people hate Duke with a passion around here.

(Also, replying to the other poster about taking Teslas on road trips, I don't think that would be a problem at all. Tesla chargers are ubiquitous.)

Old 05-24-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Could always do what the guy in Philly is doing.

Spray painting wieners around potholes forcing the local government to fix them...or have a wiener spray painted on the road.
Haha I hadn't heard about that. Some 15 year old kid in the Detroit area was photographed in the media while filling all the potholes in front of his house from a 33 gallon trash can filled with dirt. Had to help a little bit, at least until it rained.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Oh geez, don't do that! You'll be more likely to get keyed. Just leave the Wolverines on there. Nobody cares about them, but plenty of people hate Duke with a passion around here.

(Also, replying to the other poster about taking Teslas on road trips, I don't think that would be a problem at all. Tesla chargers are ubiquitous.)
Too funny. That's a good point. Might be a target with a Duke plate, but I'm sure plenty of Duke fans have front plates with the Blue Devils logo.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:20 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,917,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Nobody cares about them, but plenty of people hate Duke with a passion around here.
Lots of Carolina haters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary