Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,235 times

Advertisements

We just located last summer from SO CA and the weather is very different and take some getting use to . .especially difficult when hot and humid....if the warm/humid weather takes a toll on you NC might not be the home for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
So, I'm figuring I'll go from the air conditioned house, to the air conditioned car to air conditioned work.....hmmm, I think that'll work.
So other than maybe having to deal with slick roads if there was a recent snow...how is that any different/better than having to go from the heated house to the heated car to the heated work durring winter in the North?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
So other than maybe having to deal with slick roads if there was a recent snow...how is that any different/better than having to go from the heated house to the heated car to the heated work durring winter in the North?

Well, you don't have to put on multiple layers to dash out in the heat, or dig out your air-conditioned car.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:25 PM

47 posts, read 247,527 times
Nah, you just nearly die of heat stroke walking to the car, or waiting for the AC to kick in, and then you end up with a summer cold from the rapidly changing temperatures between inside & outside.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:17 PM

36 posts, read 168,054 times
Default Hot, sticky, muggy summers?

Hey North Jerseyan!
The weather here can get hot and sticky, but from what I remember livin' up in Oradell, NJ-there were days and sometimes weeks of hot, miserable weather! Yes, it's hot for a time, but then summer turns into a lovely fall, mild winter and beautiful spring! Just keep the air on. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2008, 04:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Last August was like being in Hell.

Not too bad for me since I came here from New Orleans.

If hot muggy weather isn't your cup of tea, you might not want to move to the South.

I detest cold and love heat, especially dry as in Vegas.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:28 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
While it is very hot here in the summer, I still will never forget being in Phoenix in mid July and even at midnight I felt like I was going to pass out from the heat - dry or not, 115 degrees is still 115 degrees!! At least here your body can break a sweat to get some relief, but in the dry heat it doesn't and I found that really difficult on my body!! Talk about feeling like I was going to pass out........!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:46 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
While it is very hot here in the summer, I still will never forget being in Phoenix in mid July and even at midnight I felt like I was going to pass out from the heat - dry or not, 115 degrees is still 115 degrees!! At least here your body can break a sweat to get some relief, but in the dry heat it doesn't and I found that really difficult on my body!! Talk about feeling like I was going to pass out........!
Spent 2 years in PHX and loved it. 115 is hot but I didn't have a prob with it but then again I grew up in FLA.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 PM

28 posts, read 117,326 times
I'm in Phoenix now but we're about to move to NC. Grew up in SC though so I know heat + humidity. When we moved here (5 years ago) people told us your 1st summer is the worst-- after that, you get more used to it. I'd say it'd be the same for someone who isn't used to southern heat! We're moving in about 6 weeks and I am curious how long it will take me to re-adjust to humidity!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:47 AM

299 posts, read 635,307 times
Last summer was definitely an unusual one weather-wise. Having done some research on average temps in the summer in Raleigh, the average temp even into August never hit 90. I just consider myself to be lucky that in this day and age we have A/C everywhere we go and women can dress with far less clothing than they used to! Our poor ancestors went through life without air conditioning and the women used to have to remain covered up despite the heat........I consider myself lucky to be born when I was
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary