Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:12 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times

Advertisements

I've visited both towns and like them a lot for different reasons. There are a lot of similarities; the university influence for starters. But the cultures are different. One is West, one is South. There are no hard and fast answers. You'd have to visit both and make up your own mind.

I do echo what several others have said here about missing the mountains and the scenery though. The East Coast is very pretty (I live in New England which has some awesome scenery) but I find myself disoriented a lot because I don't have the mountains to use as a positioning point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You can find the "Crunchy granola" types in Chapel Hill (or especially neighboring Carrboro).
I find the "granolas" in Chapel Hill / Carrboro to be not as crunchy as the ones in places like Boulder, Missoula, or Eugene. Maybe the humidity here affects the crunchiness like it affects the bread.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:26 PM

18 posts, read 43,564 times
Chapel Hill is a wanna be Berkeley, but a poor imitation at best. It's got million dollar homes, but also a ghetto influence. My Father used to live in Boulder and I visited a few times, and I've been to Chapel Hill a few times for parties. I really can't think of anything redeeming about CH or Boulder unless you're a hippie. Both are about as far from reality as you can get and still live in a major state. Although I did see a really interesting (scary) human contortionist once in Boulder...

I still love Uncle Jesse's saying, why do we need a North Carolina Zoo when we can just: "put a fence around Chapel Hill"

Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Anyone who calls Jesse "uncle" is exactly the element Chapel Hill hopes won't like it.

I wonder why it is that when a place doesn't suit some people they say it's "far from reality".

Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 AM

Berkeley doesn't have seedy areas? There were some very scary areas of "Beserkeley" that I remember!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:41 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog007 View Post
Both are about as far from reality as you can get and still live in a major state.
Dude, I take it you've never been to Humboldt, California. But considering the reality of this country in the last 7 years, I'll take as far from "reality" as I can get!!

Last edited by PDXmom; 05-22-2008 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-22-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Dude, I take it you've never been to Humboldt, California. But considering the reality of this country in the last 7 years, I'll take as far from "reality" as I can get!!
Yup, you don't drive off the main roads in that county or you risk never coming back home alive! The largest cash crop can NOT be found in the grocery stores, if you know what I mean.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
PDXmom, lol, I totally agree! Reality really stinks, doesn't it?

I think a big big difference between Boulder and CH in terms of the separation from reality point is that Boulder is a little more, no, a lot more isolated than Chapel Hill. It really does exist as an island. Chapel Hill is part of a bigger metropolis (I use that term loosely). The Triangle as a whole is much more diverse racially, politically, economically and culturally. Boulder is, well, it's Boulder. Not much diversity, and really cut off from the rest of Colorado. Even driving to Denver seemed like a long drive, and it's only about 30 miles! People who live in Boulder don't really see or feel a need to leave Boulder. They head west to the mountains to get away, not east. I don't see Chapel Hill as being so cut off from the rest of NC the way Boulder is.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Even driving to Denver seemed like a long drive, and it's only about 30 miles! People who live in Boulder don't really see or feel a need to leave Boulder. They head west to the mountains to get away, not east. I don't see Chapel Hill as being so cut off from the rest of NC the way Boulder is.
Ok that's ridiculous. I have a lot of family in Denver and Boulder, and they go back and forth all the time!! In fact, they are constantly going to either Denver or Boulder which really drives me nuts when I'm there b/c I see no need to drive when Boulder already has a ton going for it. But they often head to Denver, as do tons of people who actually commute! As for anywhere outside of those places, yeh, true, they probably don't move around a whole lot but that's b/c between Denver and Boulder and the mountains, you've got everything most people would want!

They are racially less diverse, true, but that's true for most of the West (excluding perhaps CA).

So under this line of thinking, farmers in IA, IN, and most of the Midwest are totally outside of reality since they apparently don't count as living in reality if they don't drive around all the time. Anyone living in a small town anywhere in the US is apparently not in "reality."

Old 05-22-2008, 03:06 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
PDXmom, lol, I totally agree! Reality really stinks, doesn't it?

I think a big big difference between Boulder and CH in terms of the separation from reality point is that Boulder is a little more, no, a lot more isolated than Chapel Hill. It really does exist as an island. Chapel Hill is part of a bigger metropolis (I use that term loosely). The Triangle as a whole is much more diverse racially, politically, economically and culturally. Boulder is, well, it's Boulder. Not much diversity, and really cut off from the rest of Colorado. Even driving to Denver seemed like a long drive, and it's only about 30 miles! People who live in Boulder don't really see or feel a need to leave Boulder. They head west to the mountains to get away, not east. I don't see Chapel Hill as being so cut off from the rest of NC the way Boulder is.
That's funny. I don't really see any need to leave Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary