Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 10:15 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Our Kindergartner is a car rider because the bus comes at 6:30, school starts at 7:45 and it's on my way to work anyway. Riding the bus would be pretty illogical. We'd have to all wakeup like an hour earlier to ride the bus.
I think this is the biggest reason, aside from the unreliability of the buses. When were at DDE, my kids were on the bus at 6:40 one year. Kids can't off the bus till 7:15. So they sat around at school on the bus for 20 minutes. Kinda dumb, but my kids preferred to ride the bus.

Some people come from areas where there is no bus, so they are suspicious. CA has convinced parents that buses are dangerous and unncessary so people from CA usually see them as a huge and not always trustworthy novelty.

As far as a status thing....I think that's grasping. No one sees your car but the person on line behind you and I doubt most people care that much. It's not like someone at "x"school is driving that much of a different vehicle than everyone else at "X" school. But that comment did make me laugh because we moved here from a "rich" town and my kids were in preschool they went to a school that had kids from that town and a neighboring blue collar town. Our town's moms all drove minivans and the moms from the other town all drove huge expensive SUVs (Escalades, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 10:22 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
"showing off the shiny new car".... I think that's the one that has nothing to do with it. And I live in "shiny new very expensive car" territory.

We have almost always carpooled, so it's not just 1 kid. But we haven't used the bus service (2 years we did) for its unreliability, and especially the time gap. It also does indeed provide an opportunity to converse with the children.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:43 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
People do that on my street, but usually when it's cold or raining. There is no actual bus stop, so it kind of makes sense. Also, if you have an infant or toddler with you, this can be a good way to keep them safe and allows you to head out to work more quickly.

This has been our first year doing car line and it really has been great. No problems at all.
It makes sense to park in the middle of an intersection beyond a stop sign?

Am I delusional or is this the new normal now?

Old 06-01-2019, 10:50 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It makes sense to park in the middle of an intersection beyond a stop sign?

Am I delusional or is this the new normal now?
I don't think they are parked, per se. They are stopped in the car and can easily move it if necessary. Obviously, it depends on the intersection as to how problematic this is. I live on a small, quiet cul-de-sac so it's NBD.

Parking in front of the stop sign is weird, I confess. I guess it's because of the driveway that is unusually close to a stop sign.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:09 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Yes heaven forbid their kid walk more than 10 feet.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:38 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
This person was PARKED like this for over 20 minutes. They did not move, I was confused and thought they broke down. Nope, they drove their kid to the bus stop (from a few hundred feet away) and sat there and waited for the bus.
no, this person is just your random fool. I hadn't actually clicked on the photo yet. Park along the curb where you're not obstructing traffic or driveways ... and please, attach your license plate where it belongs!

Old 06-01-2019, 04:53 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,172 times
People used to line up at my kids elementary school at 2pm. School dismisses almost two hours later. Sitting, 2 hours, engine running. Every day.

And kids were not allowed to walk to or from that school. There were no sidewalks on the road the school sits on. You can pay for your kids to be able to come early or stay late, called "before and after school care".

My son is now in middle school. Rides the bus for over 2 hours a day. His bus has broken down no less than 3 times this year. Driver allows no talking, and won't let them open the windows. It's not air conditioned. I think they are on the 3rd driver of that bus, this year. All have their own rules.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:22 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,569 times
Seems like the hottest new snobbery is judging strangers' actions/choices as snobbery and berating them.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:25 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Seems like the hottest new snobbery is judging strangers' actions/choices as snobbery and berating them.
When you don't follow the rules, you deserve to be judged - especially when child safety is involved. Rules aren't made just for the fun of it.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:30 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
When you don't follow the rules, you deserve to be judged - especially when child safety is involved. Rules aren't made just for the fun of it.
Yep and if you carpool every day, you know who the people are who break the rules every single day, and you know who the people are who are new to the system and maybe don't know better or maybe they are having an "off" day and that's why they are driving instead of the kid taking the bus. But there are people who come every single day and do what the school SPECIFICALLY asks them NOT to do and invariably, eventually, something happens. At DDE they used to ask people not to drop off their kids on Collins Dr and sure enough a kid got hit one day and then it's all SHOCK AND HORROR from the parents. One day a parent at DDMS was at such a rush they drove away while their OWN KID was exiting the car and the kid's foot got run over. They ask parents at Green Hope not to drop off kids at the traffic circle, guess what it happens every year anyway and every year some kid gets hit. Shocking, when for 75% of the school year the kids are getting dropped off IN THE DARK and NO ONE expects a kid to be running out the traffic circle. I could go on and on. Y'all probably get the gist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary