Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 08:51 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,875 times

Advertisements

Miss the Rathskellar and definitely Canton. That was my introduction to Chinese food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 09:32 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Miss the Rathskellar and definitely Canton. That was my introduction to Chinese food.
Rathskeller Cashew Chicken Canton was the first restaurant I ever went to. Always ordered Chicken Chow Mein.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:05 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Super budget, casual dining I know... and it's probably horrible fare for many, but I had a hankering for some fresh-out-the-oven CiCi's victuals to go the other day and was disheartened to find out the last remaining CiCi's in Raleigh closed earlier this year due to financial burdens with everything goin on.

The only CiCi's left in the county is out in west Cary.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:38 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Super budget, casual dining I know... and it's probably horrible fare for many, but I had a hankering for some fresh-out-the-oven CiCi's victuals to go the other day and was disheartened to find out the last remaining CiCi's in Raleigh closed earlier this year due to financial burdens with everything goin on.

And it's in a location where nothing makes it. Not sure why they moved from Apex to the current location but it's not gonna last.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

My wife had a bunch of coupons from Cici’s she wanted to use before they expired. I called it Feces Pizza It actually wasn’t too bad.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:58 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Much like Golden Corral; I have a sense of childhood nostalgia for CiCi's pizza (and conversely in a dark memory; I do remember going to the Cary CiCi's for dinner with my mom and sister on 9/11 as a distraction from current events)...

....but as a grown-up who is now mindful of digestive system health; I understand the death of CiCi's as much as I do the deah of GC...and would have no strong desire to dine at either now or in the future. Childhood memories are (mostly) great though!

Old 01-04-2021, 10:33 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
My wife had a bunch of coupons from Cici’s she wanted to use before they expired. I called it Feces Pizza It actually wasn’t too bad.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And it's in a location where nothing makes it. Not sure why they moved from Apex to the current location but it's not gonna last.

Ugh. Youre prob right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Much like Golden Corral; I have a sense of childhood nostalgia for CiCi's pizza (and conversely in a dark memory; I do remember going to the Cary CiCi's for dinner with my mom and sister on 9/11 as a distraction from current events)...

....but as a grown-up who is now mindful of digestive system health; I understand the death of CiCi's as much as I do the deah of GC...and would have no strong desire to dine at either now or in the future. Childhood memories are (mostly) great though!

Every once and a while, you just get a hankering. lol

Old 01-04-2021, 10:41 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
Swain’s and Sam’s steak houses. Andy’s Pizza, Burger Hut, Ballentine’s cafeteria, Boondini’s, Scotty’s Chuckwagon at N Hills, Johnson’s Pharmacy, Don Murray’s, Deli King at N Hills, Griffin’s, Capper’s, and The Profile to name a few.
has the Profile really changed though, if we're talking about the same location at the 5 Points strip mall?

Capper's we really miss - went there not less than every other Friday when we had a group of DINK's pre-kids.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:45 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

you're too young to remember when GC was like a cafeteria line where you ordered your steak & potato choice and were given a wooden bowl for the salad bar; the salad bar was extremely standard affair (iceberg, cukes, tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, croutons, 5 different dressings). Then they brought your meal tto the table.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:56 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you're too young to remember when GC was like a cafeteria line where you ordered your steak & potato choice and were given a wooden bowl for the salad bar; the salad bar was extremely standard affair (iceberg, cukes, tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, croutons, 5 different dressings). Then they brought your meal tto the table.
Indeed that was before my time. I do remember GC having entres (mostly steaks) that you could order and have brought to your table they usually came out on skillets; but the buffet had been the main fair there as long as I can remember.

Ryan's Steakhouse was the same deal. We used to go on "crableg Thursdays". Ryan's started disappearing years before GC. I believe that entire chain is now defunct per the google (a Ryan's Steakhouse in Winston-Salem appears to be a higher-end independent restaurant)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary