Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2019, 10:54 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Yes, it means most likely
1) Your parents donate a *****load of money to build a lab, a recroom, auditorium,etc
2) Your grandparents and your parents are alumni, who regularly contribute..
3) an affirmative action
4) you invented an eternal engine, finally! Or cured all cancer
Or your parents are has-been celebs with connections now giving the country (and world) reason for schadenfreude on your pending imprisonment. Pass the popcorn.

That's only to the Ivy League thing, I'm not weighing-in on the OP subject, y'all got that covered. Or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 12:24 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Reading through the replies on this thread.
All I can say here is YIKES!

Old 06-16-2019, 01:06 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Yes, it means most likely
1) Your parents donate a *****load of money to build a lab, a recroom, auditorium,etc
2) Your grandparents and your parents are alumni, who regularly contribute..
3) an affirmative action
4) you invented an eternal engine, finally! Or cured all cancer
Or someone worked really hard in grade and high school...

Old 06-16-2019, 05:48 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
it's called "anonymous" vs "not anonymous".

personally, I think we need to make the internet NOT anonymous. Maybe someone can tell me one good reason that UserID's should be maskable/cutesie/whatever you feel like making it today

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
We are in the same NextDoor.

I've been watching both with interest, to compare the responses.

A few people did ask the same questions about boycotting, questioning the situation.

No one on ND brought politics into it, called names or got nasty at all.

It appears it proved my thought, that my ND neighborhood (and all nearby ones too, not just my immediate neighborhood) is much more civilized than C-D when there are emotions involved.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:55 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperPhi View Post
It's always entertaining when people say something like this...

...in the same thread where they say things like this...
anyone that reads this thread and doesn't consider that poster to be "part of the problem" is probably part of the problem themselves. Similarly, I would say that anyone that wants to claim those who have any concerns or questions about what happened must be racist/privileged/blind to reality ... they're an equal part of the problem.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Your original point was that we should trust an Ivy Leaguer probably couldn’t have misunderstood the situation. That was the point I objected to.

Ehhh. My point was that he is intelligent, and likely analyzed the situation in a proper manner. I brought this up because the first 5 pages are full of people claiming he saw racism where none existed. I'll put my money on the 26 year old IVY league grad that was present. That was my point.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Ehhh. My point was that he is intelligent, and likely analyzed the situation in a proper manner. I brought this up because the first 5 pages are full of people claiming he saw racism where none existed. I'll put my money on the 26 year old IVY league grad that was present. That was my point.
Well there are numerous examples of over educated folks thinking they know everything except they lack basic common sense.

One phone call to the PD could've answered the WHY, but why do that, it's way cooler to post on forums and humble brag to spin up the citizenship.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:32 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I meant that the son, who experienced it, could question police motives and procedures, and draw conclusions. I’m

Of course, we all have the right to our opinions, but certainly the person who is the focus of police investigation has a unique right to draw conclusions about how his experience.
He could question police motives if he thought police targeted him without (or with minimal) cause. I didn’t get the impression the parent thought that though. The parent seems to place the most blame on Starbucks and the customers. I’m trying to square that with the facts known and am getting an error message.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:40 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
The only possible racism involved was the initial person who called the police. But that person seems to be invisible, and an Ivy League education can’t conjure up info on an unknown assailant (such as it is). Otherwise there is nothing else. The parent seems to think Starbucks and customers should have done something but has not expressed exactly what and therefore we are left with lots of questions and no answers. Yale is great. It can’t do whatever it is you think it can in this situation.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:00 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well there are numerous examples of over educated folks thinking they know everything except they lack basic common sense.

One phone call to the PD could've answered the WHY, but why do that, it's way cooler to post on forums and humble brag to spin up the citizenship.
And my response to that is you are right, there are some educated people that are ignorant or tone def or whatever you want to call it, but that science has proven there is a correlation between educational attainment and intelligence, and because of that I'm prone to believe that take of the intelligent man who lived through the experience. We on the same page now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary