Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:16 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

^ I will add that if you are in the growing subset of people who only want new homes, then you need to be very aware that when you sell, as long as there's "comparable" (and with 5% of price is comparable) new homes, then buyers are going to go for the new home, not yours.

As to the OP's house, you should ask your Realtor what the average DOM is for resale homes in your price range and general location. The market is good, but each area/price range has differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 03:20 PM

555 posts, read 501,159 times
Selling a house above $500K that is not a new build and assigned to not-the-best schools that is further out from Wake Forest/close to Franklin County is going to have a small buyer pool at the moment, in my opinion.

We used to live out there, for many years, and loved it, but it was our starter house, so not highly priced, and the commute 10-12 years ago into Raleigh or even RTP wasn't as horrible then. We sacrificed commute time (that got increasingly difficult in reality) for savings on house, at the time, always thinking we'd buy "in town" (Wake Forest) or North Raleigh someday (instead moved out of state, and reducing our commute times here was a top factor in purchasing our house this time around). Bottom line, that's not a first-time buyer home, so that eliminates most young people. Those with kiddos are going to be looking at Heritage schools, or the better schools that feed into Wake Forest High (I still want to call it WFR), for that price point, and perhaps willing to give up new construction or custom features to get into those. Retirees are much more likely to build or look at custom homes across the border in Franklin Co. - Zebulon or Youngsville - to get more bang for their buck, or look into the 55+ communities like the one in Traditions. Workers in RTP are also highly unlikely to be interested, unless they somehow enjoy the daily flagellation that is now commuting from the outskirts of WF to RTP, or they're coming straight from the heart of Boston or something so they feel it's all 'not too bad' (yet) and want a nice home.

Having sold a home near there (not nearly as nice as yours), my advice, for what little it's worth, is to be absolutely sure you've got a realtor who knows what s/he is doing. We had a crap realtor who did little to nothing for us except make mistakes and I think had just gotten used to homes at our price point selling themselves (not helpful when you're in the process of moving far away). Really quiz your realtor about why the price point was chosen and how they're marketing it - who they're trying to reach, how they plan to go about it, and what the plan is going forward.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 AM

45 posts, read 29,125 times
Many folks tell me they are bailing out of WF because of overcrowding and lousy transit.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:05 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTC TRSIDENT View Post
Many folks tell me they are bailing out of WF because of overcrowding and lousy transit.
Better tell the people here that because that would be news to them. Two of my neighbors are under contract to sell their homes. Each home was on the market a matter of couple days before they went contingent; my direct neighbor had 7 offers on his home coming out of a four hour open house.

A question to you (and the rest of the board).....Is Wake Forest really that "overcrowded"? By what measure? Population Density? "Oh it used to be all farm land and now its houses"? "The drive on 98 to Durham is worst"? "Capital North bound during rush hour sucks"? Of course it would be more crowded than dairy farms....

Other than too many/crappy timed traffic lights (which is hardly unique to WF; everywhere I have been in the triangle has the same issue; full disclosure, never been to Cary)

As a resident, I certainly could have bias, but I at the same time, I'm hardly "Rah Rah Wake Forest is the best", so maybe I am missing it.

Is your desire for it to be "like it used to be"? Or less crowded like towns further away from Raleigh? In my experience, having "towns like they used to be" is generally an adjective of a dying area; I went to College in Western MA; the area is chocked full of towns that epitomize "land that time forgot". If you prefer it to be more like further out towns; how can it be? WF is what, ~15 miles from downtown Raleigh? In every medium to large sized metropolitan area in the country that would be the first ring of suburbs; which tend to be, you guessed it, more crowded than the further out suburbs.

Please enlighten me. I know you have been on this kick for years, so maybe there isn't a real answer. But I'll ask anyway.

Last edited by GVoR; 06-25-2019 at 09:14 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
I've bought three houses, sold two and have first hand experience testing the rule that if the house is priced right, it sells. There's no mystery behind that logic, at all.

I'm in the process of selling right now, going with an as-is approach. Fixed up, my house is worth $419k, but it needs about $20k in updates and/or repairs. No one is going to buy my house for $400k and so I've adjusted the price enough below that so a potential buyer can see where they're getting a bargain. I'm willing to walk away with less in exchange for not having to manage all that work.

I'm being realistic, not optimistic.

If I can buy your house for an extra $20k but get it exactly the way I want it and brand, spankin' new, I'm going new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary