Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 AM

286 posts, read 994,206 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the area in a month and am considering taking a job in Hillsborough. My place is in Morrisville and am wondering about what my commute would be like. I don't care to spend half my life driving.

Here are the addresses:

348 Elizabeth Brady Road
Hillsborough, NC 27278

201 Treybrooke Dr
Morrisville, NC 27560

I'd like to know what it would take during morning and afternoon rush hours.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 12:08 AM

Could you also tell me about the commute time from the morrisville address to the butner address?

1600 E. C STREET
Butner, NC 27509

Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
I am moving to the area in a month and am considering taking a job in Hillsborough. My place is in Morrisville and am wondering about what my commute would be like. I don't care to spend half my life driving.

Here are the addresses:

348 Elizabeth Brady Road
Hillsborough, NC 27278

201 Treybrooke Dr
Morrisville, NC 27560

I'd like to know what it would take during morning and afternoon rush hours.

Thanks!
I start with the facts first and use GoogleMaps to map out the various routes and mileage information. For example, try this link for the first scenario: Hillsbourough to Morrisville

Using that tool, you know you're driving about 30 miles at approximately a half an hour with absolutely no traffic (and if you abide by the speed laws). You'll also find that GM chose to take the 85 to the 147 south to the 40 instead of the 40. You'll find that route to be incredibly less congested either way until you get to the 40. And, really, I don't think you'll be hitting a lot of traffic going south down that part of the 40 in the morning... but I don't commut that part of 40 at that time, so hopefully someone will chime in. Nonetheless, you're definitely looking at 30 to 45 minutes, I'd guess, for the first scenario. Try out GM for the second.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 PM

Anyone else have input?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:06 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,069 times
Once you get past RTP it will be smooth sailing, up until that time you'll be going a little slow, but traffic here is still no real comparison to other major cities around the country like DC or Atlanta.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM

140 posts, read 1,654,002 times
  • My experience has been that 54 through Morrisville is a traffic nightmare during Morning and AFter Work traffic. it's a one-lane road for much of that, and traffic backs up for miles.
  • Davis is not much larger, but it mi9ght be better? I know that area is being built up, so it may be congested too.
  • Don't trust Google Maps regarding the area East of 55 and West of Davis and just North of 540. They re-routed some of the roads there when they added in 540. It may or may not be current now, but it wasn't about a month ago, I know.
  • You'll also find some congestion on I-40 where it intersects 540. But that's not as bad as the nightmare I-40 turns into just a few miles east, when it takes its southern turn.
  • I commuted much of that route coming from the West.... 85, to 147. And I like it compared to the worst parts of I-40. Most of the time it was smooth flowing. 147, in parts, is not as straight as I-40, so you can't go 75 the whole way, but I like it anyway.
I've lived in the area for a few years, work in the RTP, and am about to buy a house this year or next. I'm strongly considering the West-of-Durham area because it avoids the roughest parts of I-40 and 540 rush hour traffic..

Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
Don't trust Google Maps regarding the area ...I commuted much of that route coming from the West.... 85, to 147. And I like it compared to the worst parts of I-40. Most of the time it was smooth flowing. 147, in parts, is not as straight as I-40, so you can't go 75 the whole way, but I like it anyway.
Hurricane David has nailed many of the points. And just for another way to go check this one: Driving Directions from 201 Treybrooke Dr, Morrisville, NC to [126-143] Elizabeth Brady Rd, Hillsborough, NC

It's 27 miles, and without factoring traffic it's 32 minutes. The problem you'll face is around Morrisville and I-40. I agree with HD--85 and 147 make it much better than going 40 all the way. Besides, I know where Elizabeth Brady is and it is a hop and skip from I-85 (right near Hwy 70).
Sorry can't help at all with the Butner stuff. :0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary