Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times

Advertisements

This evening I cooked a pineapple and mango salsa mahi-mahi, served over basmati rice, with fresh roasted peppers, corn, and broccoli. I usually request reservations, but will accommodate walk-ins, as long as they BYOB.

I have found Raleigh’s seafood game seriously lacking at local restaurants , given its proximity to the coast. I usually DIY for better and more economical results. My only exception there is for sashimi/sushi and oysters. If someone has a good recommendation for a high quality fresh seafood fishmonger in Raleigh beyond the local HT, Freshmarket, and WholeFoods, or me with a fishing pole, please suggest away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 07:49 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
  • Skipper’s Fish Fry in Apex.
  • N.C. Seafood restaurant is located at The NC State Farmers Market.

Excellent value for price paid at both of the above.
Excellent recent health ratings.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:51 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I went with my family at 5 pm on a Sunday night only to be told that they couldn’t seat us for the rest of the evening due to reservations. The restaurant had several empty tables. My parents own a restaurant and I’ve worked at several others and it is frankly bad business to leave tables empty and turn away business to accommodate reservations later in the evening. It would be one thing to be told there was a long wait for a table when the restaurant was actually full, but this was ridiculous. They could have easily turned the table over before the reservation arrived. I also saw them turn away at least ten other patrons. I stormed out of the restaurant, and my husband overheard the hostess say that she would have found us a table to sit at if I hadn’t walked out the door. Um, they should seriously retrain their hostesses to attempt to find tables for customers before turning them away.

I guess if you want to eat there, make a reservation? I won’t be back.

This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
There's a website called Yelp. Try it instead of CityData. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2019, 09:27 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
I have found Raleigh’s seafood game seriously lacking at local restaurants , given its proximity to the coast. I usually DIY for better and more economical results. My only exception there is for sashimi/sushi and oysters. If someone has a good recommendation for a high quality fresh seafood fishmonger in Raleigh beyond the local HT, Freshmarket, and WholeFoods, or me with a fishing pole, please suggest away...
Same here.

On one hand there is 42nd St, which is good but a bit pricey and always crowded, then there is Tony's, which is passable and more of a bar and people watching site.

I'm going to try K4GPB's suggestion of Skipper’s; I've been to the NCSF and it was good though nothing much for a place to eat in terms of ambiance, and, like a lot of places, including Cape Fear, much of or most of the fare is fried. We are trying to eat more healthy than that since being back in the US, it's not always easy, fortunately we don't prefer fried stuff.

I haven't tried Saint James yet to be fair.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Same here.

On one hand there is 42nd St, which is good but a bit pricey and always crowded, then there is Tony's, which is passable and more of a bar and people watching site.

I'm going to try K4GPB's suggestion of Skipper’s; I've been to the NCSF and it was good though nothing much for a place to eat in terms of ambiance, and, like a lot of places, including Cape Fear, much of or most of the fare is fried. We are trying to eat more healthy than that since being back in the US, it's not always easy, fortunately we don't prefer fried stuff.

I haven't tried Saint James yet to be fair.
If I recall, Skipper's is mostly fried stuff as well.

It won't have ambiance but definitely give Locals in the Transfer Food Hall a try.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:48 PM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument.
Exactly. And beyond that, the title of this thread specifically says "Don't Go". This really crosses the line. I realize the OP says in a later post that folks can do what they want. But it's really, really bad form to try to hurt a business by telling people not to patronize them - just because they didn't think to make reservations beforehand.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:10 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Probably worth mentioning that the above is straight out of the TOS (for those who have never read it)

Old 07-14-2019, 11:12 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
You should have looked for someone wearing some type of uniform and told the mangement that seeing it offended you. Then like at starbucks they would be forsed to leave and then YOU could grab their seat,,,,,,

Old 07-15-2019, 02:16 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
I actually want to go to this place now. Going to make reservations and check it out. Nom nom nom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary