U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 PM

28 posts, read 54,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
I've seen several job positions at different companies that state an MBA from an online university will not be recognized.
Please post a link to these biased companies. If an online school is REGIONALLY accredited and recognized by the US DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION these companies are begging for a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 AM

1,602 posts, read 3,267,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newschool View Post
Please post a link to these biased companies. If an online school is REGIONALLY accredited and recognized by the US DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION these companies are begging for a lawsuit.
Whether that's an issue or not, I really think that brick-and-mortar school's distance ed programs are the way to go.

I'd never give my money to UofP or Strayer or their ilk. The NYT ran a good story a year or so ago about how the Univ. of Phoenix sinks a tremendous amount of money into their "enrollment consultant" positions -- basically sales positions who get paid to get people enrolled in classes. The actual follow-through on degrees is much lower compared to other institutions.

I'd echo ECU and NC State as being good choices. I seem to recall that one of the Maryland schools (UMBC?) was an early pioneer in distance ed and might also be worth a look.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 AM

711 posts, read 1,759,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Also, I've seen several job positions at different companies that state an MBA from an online university will not be recognized.
I wondered how long before the back-lash against On-line diploma mills would start. The employers are probably saying they will not accept applicants who graduated from On-line programs, just as many companies will not accept applicants who graduated from "Brick and Mortar" schools with a poor academic reputation.

There may also be a work ethic issue, with students who had to get out of bed and attend structured courses being viewed higher than those who logged-on only when convenient for them.

My former brother-in-law taught classes for an On-line university. He said too many students were grossly under-motivated and under-performed. If the "Norm" for such an institution is low, then even the highly motivated students (and there are some) are judged with a juandiced eye by recruiters. Some schools may be very good, but the reputation of the entire genre of On-line education is slipping rapidly due to the greed of the diploma mills.

I earned my Masters degree in a Distance Learning program from a "Brick and Mortar" university, Rensselaer Polytechnic. I recommend that people looking for an On-line program limit their search to these schools, and there are a LOT of them, some with very famous names. The same On-Campus courses and lectures are web-cast to the distance learning students, and exams/projects are proctored to ensure honor code compliance.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 04-16-2008 at 06:10 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 06:02 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,211,241 times
Many top-notch universities have a limit on how many online courses they will accept for graduate school (I don't know about undergrad). Also when applying to a program they will look and see where you took the online courses--for example, UNC-Chapel Hill offers online courses and they would be looked at in much better light than say a local community college or technical college online. (You would still take the final exam proctored at UNC--or an approved site elsewhere). That's what I was told by admissions to a grad program at Duke. They did, however say that they look at the whole picture--so a few online courses while you're working certainly does not make you look like a slacker!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:58 AM

40 posts, read 96,889 times
One thing to consider is that many of these schools (ECU, NC State, UNC) won't accept many transfer credits from smaller Associate Degree schools. Local schools, yes, they will. I know this first hand because I have an Associates from a school in Pittsburgh and was pretty much forced to go to Strayer because these other schools wouldn't accept any credits and I'd have to start over as a freshman. IMO, having a Bachelors is more important than where it came from.

I've been at Strayer for over a year now, and it's what you make of it. Some students have trouble, some don't. If you are [SIZE=2]disciplined and do the required reading and assignments, then you get out what you put into it.[/SIZE]

Old 04-16-2008, 07:13 AM

40 posts, read 96,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericv View Post
One thing to consider is that many of these schools (ECU, NC State, UNC) won't accept many transfer credits from smaller Associate Degree schools. Local schools, yes, they will. I know this first hand because I have an Associates from a school in Pittsburgh and was pretty much forced to go to Strayer because these other schools wouldn't accept any credits and I'd have to start over as a freshman. IMO, having a Bachelors is more important than where it came from.

I've been at Strayer for over a year now, and it's what you make of it. Some students have trouble, some don't. If you are [SIZE=2]disciplined and do the required reading and assignments, then you get out what you put into it.[/SIZE]
Actually, after reading more on the ECU website, they may take my associate credits. Thanks for the link, I'm going to see about transferring.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 AM

3,422 posts, read 6,117,920 times
I had no problem transferring credits from a community college in Virginia to NC Wesleyan. I did have to retake some upper-level accounting classes, however - but that's the risk I took by getting an Applied Science degree rather than one geared towards transferring.

Strayer does have a very liberal transfer policy. I just got majorly turned off by them years and years ago - I enrolled but did not register for classes the first semester. The admissions "counselor" pretty much harrassed me at work - calling multiple times asking me when I was going to register. He was very pushy and I decided NOT to attend Strayer because of it.

For some employers just having the degree is all that matters - but others will not view the online university degrees as being equal to the more traditional programs. I think a lot of it depends on the field you are in and how competitive it is.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,481,747 times
NC Wesleyan College accepted all of my transfer credits from my previous school (Northern VA community college) except 1 class. They were very good about counting everything that I took and the night class (1 time a week format) is great for working adults. They are also a "brick & Mortar" school which is more desirable than say U of Phoenix. All of my Community college credits were accepted as transfer credits and my GPA started fresh.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 AM

277 posts, read 483,721 times
Keep the advice coming - I am so thankful to you all out there!
I'm online right now checking out the various recommendations.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM

473 posts, read 989,615 times
Yes. I graduated from SUNY Empire State. The SUNY system has most of their courses online now. go to www.sln.suny.edu to get started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary