Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
My dad used to have an incubator he could hatch chicken eggs, wild turkey eggs, pheasant eggs. It would be cool if you could hatch them out.

I bet the moma duck and babies don't think that is a cool idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:31 PM

We had a nest of sparrows near the front door and used another door for a month.
A poor pizza delivery guy came to the front door one night and both parent sparrows
dive bombed him .

Old 05-01-2008, 11:03 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I bet the moma duck and babies don't think that is a cool idea
The mom might not like it but once the birds hatch out, they imprint on the first thing they see. When I was little I had an African Goose that thought I was MOMMY and would walk right up to me, come when I called her, eat food out of my hand. My Dad hatched her out from an egg as well. Her name was Rachel.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The mom might not like it but once the birds hatch out, they imprint on the first thing they see. When I was little I had an African Goose that thought I was MOMMY and would walk right up to me, come when I called her, eat food out of my hand. My Dad hatched her out from an egg as well. Her name was Rachel.
How sweet, and lucky you.

We have little rose finches that nest above our front door, and it is so cool to watch them come and go. We have a window-surround across the top and sides of the door, so it is almost like having a window into the nest. Fortunately, we don't go in and out of the front door, so the little family is left undisturbed.

The orchard orioles build nests in the maples along the curbing in front of the house, and last Spring, when I stepped out to go to the mailbox, there was a little oriole -- learning to fly, as best I could tell -- in the middle of the small grassy area. You never saw such a commotion as the mature orioles made! It was the parents, and the aunts and the uncles, and the oriole neighbors. It was so cool to see them working together to protect that little one. I never knew birds would band-together like that to protect a young.

I meant to ask my husband to check the bunnies this a.m. He contends Mrs. Rabbit has probably moved them since my neighbor and I inadvertently uncovered the nest in our mulching ministrations the other day. They were so cute. He also said they were still young, too young to relocate them, ourselves, when the neighbor indicated she wasn't much enamored of having the little family in her yard.

Let us know when the ducks hatch, and Mama Quack starts parading them. Where is there water near you?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Do you have an update about the duck eggs??

Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM

13 posts, read 35,690 times
Make sure you take pictures ( discretely so as not to spook Mamaduck ) of the eggs then of the babyducks !

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
Place the duck egg in a saucepan of water and bring it to the boil then reduce it to a simmer and allow them to cook for 3 minutes (so that it is soft boiled). Remove from the heat and serve.
So terrible... but the delivery made me chuckle.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 PM

50 posts, read 254,669 times
I have been worrying for three days. The last time I saw the mother duck was 6PM Tuesday evening that had stormy weather. On Wednesday, my children, on their way back from school, found that mother duck was not in the nest. I just thought she changed her meal time (she used to go out early morning). But I was wrong. She has not come back so far. The eggs are still there. I think the mother duck sat on the eggs about 20 days, so 6 or 7 more days are needed for eggs to be hatched. There is no trace of mother duck near the nest. I think I have to call USDA again to ask what to do with the eggs.
Thank you for your concern.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capertree View Post
I have been worrying for three days. The last time I saw the mother duck was 6PM Tuesday evening that had stormy weather. On Wednesday, my children, on their way back from school, found that mother duck was not in the nest. I just thought she changed her meal time (she used to go out early morning). But I was wrong. She has not come back so far. The eggs are still there. I think the mother duck sat on the eggs about 20 days, so 6 or 7 more days are needed for eggs to be hatched. There is no trace of mother duck near the nest. I think I have to call USDA again to ask what to do with the eggs.
Thank you for your concern.
If they don't answer or do anything right soon, my suspicions (as naive as they may be) is that they will not survive the weekend. How many days can the eggs survive exposed like that? I've heard that some require a constant temperature where a certain degree difference would mean catastrophe. If you don't get any response right away, I'd go with Lindsey_Mcfarren's idea and see if someone here or wherever would go ahead, hatch them, and possibly adopt them if successful. Start taking names.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
If they don't answer or do anything right soon, my suspicions (as naive as they may be) is that they will not survive the weekend. How many days can the eggs survive exposed like that? I've heard that some require a constant temperature where a certain degree difference would mean catastrophe. If you don't get any response right away, I'd go with Lindsey_Mcfarren's idea and see if someone here or wherever would go ahead, hatch them, and possibly adopt them if successful. Start taking names.
I would definetly find someone who can pop those eggs into an incubator. If you have a farmer around you, check around and see if they have an incubator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary