U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 PM

50 posts, read 156,189 times
Question What do I do? A mallad duck laid an egg in my yard!

A mallard duck made a nest and laid an egg right next to my garage door between a front wall and a bush. Very dangerous place to have ducklings. This is what my daughter got after internet search.
1. You can't remove the egg unless mother duck abandoned the nest. It's prohibited by the law.
2. So if the nest is located in very busy place like this case, just keep act like there is no nest.
3. If a mother duck see the danger in early stage of breeding, she will abandon the nest and move away.
4. If a mother duck doesn't come back for 3 to 4 days, you can remove the egg.
5. You don't have to feel guilty about this because only 15% need to be hatched to maintain proper duck population.

Do you have any other information about this matter? Is there any organizations to contact for this kind of happening? What is the best way to make the mother duck know that she chose the wrong place?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,597,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capertree View Post
A mallard duck made a nest and laid an egg right next to my garage door between a front wall and a bush. Very dangerous place to have ducklings. This is what my daughter got after internet search.
1. You can't remove the egg unless mother duck abandoned the nest. It's prohibited by the law.
2. So if the nest is located in very busy place like this case, just keep act like there is no nest.
3. If a mother duck see the danger in early stage of breeding, she will abandon the nest and move away.
4. If a mother duck doesn't come back for 3 to 4 days, you can remove the egg.
5. You don't have to feel guilty about this because only 15% need to be hatched to maintain proper duck population.

Do you have any other information about this matter? Is there any organizations to contact for this kind of happening? What is the best way to make the mother duck know that she chose the wrong place?
Try contacting the NC Audubon Society. The main office is in Chapel Hill... #919.929.3899.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 PM

7,194 posts, read 13,581,284 times
Can you just leave it where it is since there is only a 15% chance it will hatch anyway?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:19 PM

21,682 posts, read 37,020,044 times
Call child protective services (kidding)

pdxmom recommindation sounds good

Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 PM

355 posts, read 559,212 times
Place the duck egg in a saucepan of water and bring it to the boil then reduce it to a simmer and allow them to cook for 3 minutes (so that it is soft boiled). Remove from the heat and serve.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 AM

[quote=SunnyKayak;3474062]Call child protective services (kidding)

I really need to call them. Mother duck has not come back since she left yesterday morning. I guess she was smart enough to realize that it is dangerous to lay eggs right next to driveway. I wish she found safe new spot. Now I am waiting three more days, and the light green egg in the nest will be gone.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Mother duck is back!

Mother duck came back and laid another egg. Now there are two pretty eggs in the nest made with pine needles. I called NC Audubon Society and was finally referred to USDA (United States Department of Agriculture). I was told that I can scare the mother duck away without hurting her if it really bothers me, but we decided not to do it. After several phone calls with wild animal experts, my daughter and I are kind of amazed and excited about this. It's like we are watching one of the nature's most precious moment. I just hope everything goes smoothly with mallard duck family. Thanks for the phone number!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:16 PM

5,658 posts, read 17,378,892 times
Default Takes Two to Tango

The eggs may be unfertilized.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,006,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capertree View Post
Mother duck came back and laid another egg. Now there are two pretty eggs in the nest made with pine needles. I called NC Audubon Society and was finally referred to USDA (United States Department of Agriculture). I was told that I can scare the mother duck away without hurting her if it really bothers me, but we decided not to do it. After several phone calls with wild animal experts, my daughter and I are kind of amazed and excited about this. It's like we are watching one of the nature's most precious moment. I just hope everything goes smoothly with mallard duck family. Thanks for the phone number!
She will lay an egg aprox every 2 -3 days until she has a nice clutch. And I mean nice as in large. Good luck. And keep an eye out for predators.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 PM

551 posts, read 1,485,817 times
How fabulous! What a great learning experience for you and your daughter to share! You should encourage her to document the progress and maybe she can use it as a project at school! (Do they still have science projects and fairs???)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary