Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 04:03 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,897,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
We have an Ambiente Furniture and Crate & Barrel. We have luxury stuff here, but it's more local and boutique, and spread out. Contrast with Ballantyne in Charlotte. There's still a lot of old money here, and they know where to go. People without money seem to be the ones to complain about a lack of "luxury".

Oh wow, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When people post about luxury goods and they aren't even in the stratosphere of what luxury goods are

lol

This thread really backfired on the OP lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 04:17 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Imma goin' home to luxuriate with a Red Oak Lager and a few Utz Special Dark Pretzels.

Just braggin' for those for whom conspicuous flaunting top brands resonates.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:34 PM

118 posts, read 78,480 times
Raleigh has a standalone Rolls-Royce dealership, which is the first of its kind in America. The location is second of its kind in the world. Cars priced between $350,000 and $600,000. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Raleigh, part of Westgate Motor Cars LLC, is only the second standalone Rolls-Royce dealership in the world. The other is in Dubai.

Basically, we are now being compared to Dubai in some luxury sectors (sort of).

Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM

26 posts, read 21,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Asheville has a much more pronounced "haves" vs "have nots" than this area does. It reminds me of Sedona with the homeowners and min wage service workers.

Personally I don't want to share public transit either as it generally attracts undesirables, especially buses. Just my experience in most areas save for maybe NYC and other comparable cities. The wealthier cities generally are better (ie DC subway system) unless you take the transit to said "undesired" areas.

I've never known the Infiniti brand to be a status symbol. Maybe you were being sarcastic...in that case it went over my head .
Neither is Coach. It's what they call a contemporary brand. Kind of mid range, mass produced, respectable quality.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:51 PM

26 posts, read 21,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Oh wow, lol

lol

This thread really backfired on the OP lol
How so? (the people you quoted got filtered out) Some guy insinuating that there are secret places to shop? And another guy with a predictable dig about how I must not have money? lol That's defensive snark, not real conversation.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:26 PM

118 posts, read 78,480 times
In addition to Raleigh being compared to Dubai in terms of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars (sort of), I would point out that even though Raleigh doesn't have a lot of the flashy well-known "mall type" jewelry stores that you would see in larger markets, there are a several smaller, boutique type places that you could spend any amount of money that your heart desires, certainly in the six to seven figures for custom pieces. As another poster mentioned, the people that live that lifestyle want discretion and privacy. Or, they go to NYC to shop.

With the mega-mall concept fading on a national level, more of these will pop up as the market gets larger.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:18 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,493 times
most of us natives feel this is probably the best part about NC

Old 08-08-2019, 09:28 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
You usually find "luxury" offerings in bigger more international cities. Cities such as NYC, Philly, Chicago, DC, LA, all welcome millions of visitors per year ranging from business people to your average tourist. There are also big players in various industries that have offices and homes in these areas whether it is old or new money. You also usually have more millionaires per capita in the bigger cities including a higher HHI.

So, luxury brands like to set up shop in these areas because of their wealth density and their attraction to a worldwide clientele.

Ask yourself, how packed would these stores be if they did locate where you live? I've been to a few in Philly and NYC and even in those areas, the stores aren't very crowded.

I see people in the Raleigh-Durham area being more practical and not wanting to spend $2500 on a bag just because they can. I could be wrong.

Also, online shopping is a factor that prohibits a proliferation of brick & mortar stores.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:40 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
You guys....I went to the Cheesecake Factory last night.

Feeling luxurious AF right now.

I got to pay $30 for a salmon filet they took out of the freezer at least an hour before I ordered it.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 AM

1,228 posts, read 796,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
You guys....I went to the Cheesecake Factory last night.

Feeling luxurious AF right now.

I got to pay $30 for a salmon filet they took out of the freezer at least an hour before I ordered it.
Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary