Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 AM

17,571 posts, read 15,280,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartData View Post
There is very little high end shopping and dining. It seems to contradict the reputed strong local economy and population growth.
They are different things. Go to Cameron Village to see more high end shops or Streets of Southpoint. And don't forget North Hills Mall. But no, the Triangle is not like a city on the order of NYC, SF, LA, DC, and others. It's really more like a big small town, divided up. You'll not find the density of high end as you will in other cities. Charlotte has more high end shopping/dining.

People also shop online and a high end retailer has to consider if the expense of a brick & mortar building will bring the level of $$$ needed vs some other location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,220,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You hate Moon Pies?

Spoiler
Mike, you need to get to Fullsteam Brewing right now! I think the Working Man's Lunch beer is right up your ally.

Spoiler
It's actually quite luxurious

Old 07-31-2019, 09:25 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,516,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You hate Moon Pies?

Spoiler
I can tell you're from PA

Old 07-31-2019, 09:34 AM

6,641 posts, read 5,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Mike, you need to get to Fullsteam Brewing right now! I think the Working Man's Lunch beer is right up your ally.

Spoiler
It's actually quite luxurious
Don't forget about the Working Man's Special at Backyard BBQ Pit as well!

Old 07-31-2019, 09:35 AM

805 posts, read 519,456 times
It’s true, we don’t have a lot of luxury stores and hotels. We do have a very respectable selection of upper-middle class options. Seems appropriate for our demographics.

You see a lot of Teslas here, but not a lot of Lamborghinis.

Alternative answer: see thread complaining about $17 lobster rolls

Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,264,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
And don't forget North Hills Mall.

This is what I was going to mention too.

Which is why I don't go to North Hills because I get $9 t-shirts at Target rather than $80 t-shirts at a shop I've never heard of.

I've never been a luxury kind of person so it doesn't bother me that there isn't much around. Which is good, because if I did want that, I probably should have moved somewhere else.

Wanting a good quality special occasion dress is something I can understand though, and I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to go for that. But that's because I haven't had a need since we've moved here.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:55 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,403,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Nabs and a Coke for me
Lance peanuts in 6 and a half ounce coke.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:18 AM

26 posts, read 21,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When people post about luxury goods and they aren't even in the stratosphere of what luxury goods are
Those were just easy examples and they qualify but please tell us about the most luxurious luxury. We need proper expertise.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:32 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,065,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
People without money seem to be the ones to complain about a lack of "luxury".
Gotta keep up with the Joneses!

Old 07-31-2019, 11:36 AM

141 posts, read 139,133 times
When I think of luxury I think of Chinese-made goods sold from big box stores at 30x the price of what they were manufactured at. Or maybe I can buy 4 different brands of high priced sunglasses that are all from Luxottica. I might even pick up a few high priced bottles of bourbon and rye that all come from MGP.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go grab lunch containing only the highest quality ingredients from Sysco, or I might stay at home and eat my lunch from the fanciest brands of Nestle.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary