Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 03:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
I dont pay a fee for any of those so if there is one or two that charges a fee, I dont really have a problem with it. So...no. I wont stop rationalizing that its okay. I dont mind. But you obviously have your knickers all up in a wad about this. Is it really worth the high blood pressure?
It's a slippery slope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 03:16 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
For Duke Energy, there is a $1.50 convenience fee per bill if you pay via credit/debit or eCheck
I pay Duke Energy on-line from my bank and do not pay an additional fee. Is the $1.50 fee incurred if you pay from the Duke Energy site vs being pushed from the bank?

Old 08-10-2019, 08:21 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
I don't like paying the $3 fee, but my time is worth more than that to be spent driving to/from and waiting in line at the tag office. Snail mail takes longer (remember, the US postal service isn't what it used to be) and increases the chances of something going wrong or getting lost in the mail. Just consider the $3 as part of the tag renewal fees and move on with life.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:49 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I don't like paying the $3 fee, but my time is worth more than that to be spent driving to/from and waiting in line at the tag office. Snail mail takes longer (remember, the US postal service isn't what it used to be) and increases the chances of something going wrong or getting lost in the mail. Just consider the $3 as part of the tag renewal fees and move on with life.

This is what they are counting on. When I do all that crap online, and then see the $3 fee, I think "who the hell cares, I'm tired of this shi*" and just be done with this.

I also pay the $3 fee because in the past, I've written a check and they didn't get it and then I had to make a few phone calls/emails, etc. Who the hell has time for that in our busy American lifestyle? I want to pay by credit card and be done with you.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:53 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I pay Duke Energy on-line from my bank and do not pay an additional fee. Is the $1.50 fee incurred if you pay from the Duke Energy site vs being pushed from the bank?
If it comes from your checking/savings account there is no fee.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:26 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Two pages of comments about a silly $3 charge to pay online???? You pay online and have immediate confirmation that the payment is received and you dont have to buy stamps and envelopes and write out a check and worry if the check is lost in the mail. Good grief....
thats what they are hoping. Pretty soon that 3 dollar will be 6 dollars. etc. No thanks. If no one uses the service I bet they would get rid of the $3 dollar fee since processing checks via mail has more labor costs.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:13 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Am against these fees entirely. I avoid them when I can. Agree it is a slippery slope.

Had to suck it up to pay $3-something on one last week at the Regal movie theatre for an under-$20 charge for two tix when we couldn't make it there in person due to time constraints. That ain't right in my book.

It's not a Convenience fee, it's a Penalty fee with a fancy name.

Oh and the new Tarantino movie was worth seeing.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:00 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Am against these fees entirely. I avoid them when I can. Agree it is a slippery slope.

Had to suck it up to pay $3-something on one last week at the Regal movie theatre for an under-$20 charge for two tix when we couldn't make it there in person due to time constraints. That ain't right in my book.

It's not a Convenience fee, it's a Penalty fee with a fancy name.

Oh and the new Tarantino movie was worth seeing.
Would you have been ok with it if Regal had increased ticket prices across the board by $3?

I’m guessing some people in this board haven’t had kids go thru college recently......I remember UMass, $2,000 annual in state tuition......$8,000 in fees. Colleges are the worst when it comes to fees haha

Old 08-11-2019, 08:35 AM

6,110 posts, read 4,603,494 times
This pales in comparison to property tax "convenience" fees which range from 2-3 percent of the bill across the state.

On even a $1,000 property tax bill (which would be on the very low end for most homes in much of the state), this ends up being around $25-30, and on many homes that have both city and county taxes a convenience fee of well over $100 wouldn't be unusual the way these are calculated.

Apparently, the counties don't profit from this, and the idea is so that taxpayers who don't pay with a card aren't subsidizing the fees of those who do, but they sure aren't negotiating a good rate from the payment processor either.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:01 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Would you have been ok with it if Regal had increased ticket prices across the board by $3?

I’m guessing some people in this board haven’t had kids go thru college recently......I remember UMass, $2,000 annual in state tuition......$8,000 in fees. Colleges are the worst when it comes to fees haha
At least the farce about these fees is getting some notice, which is the first step, I couldn't find the article or maybe I saw it on the news but it was recent, within the last month, that this might start to be addressed. Might....

The debacle that is the fee structure of phone bills alone is mid-boggling: https://taxfoundation.org/wireless-t...ight-year-2016

In the Car Sales industry this is a hot topic, based on what I've read in the Auto forum, e.g. documentation, delivery, prep etc. fees, how those vary state to state and dealer to dealer.

E.g. http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-new-cars.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...aler-fees.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary