Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 09:49 PM

21 posts, read 16,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post

Your budget would afford you a nice house in Cary, among many techie parents and kids. I see you posted this question in a number of city forums (I was snooping for clues about where you’re moving from). What interests you about this area?
Yes I am looking into a few places to see where I will relocate.

What interested me is I have a family in law member there so I will know someone. Also the flight back to where I live here is $100 and about 2 hours I believe. So, I could come back on holiday if I want to see friends and family I am leaving behind. Also, I am hoping for less snow but I know you do get snow. Finally, a place it is cheaper to live yet to find work.

*My concern is to find a high school my daughter can adjust changing in 10th grade. The school where I am is amazing as most of us pay 20,000 in tax a year and the teacher's are paid around 130,000, and the school budget here is 19,000 per student spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 09:52 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Can I ask what district you are in now? I came from LI but I did not love it. You do not sound as if you want to move and that will be bigger issue than anything else. FWIW, I do not believe that you need a private school to get a good education here. My kids are in WCPSS and we are pleased. Also, new kids are not an issue here. On LI they are a rarity, here it is commonplace and I believe that makes it an easier adjustment.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:48 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
You must be from NY or NJ. I agree with Sal new kids don’t really have trouble here as they are not a rarity. Transferring TO a WCPSS high school mid stream is not as hard as transferring FROM one (due to block scheduling ...did you know we have block scheduling?). Your budget and tax requirement is not an issue.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:50 AM

805 posts, read 524,416 times
You’ll probably find the pace of life much slower here. More driving, but the commutes are scenic.

We have a solid university representation, along with top state schools. The high schools will provide your daughter with lots of opportunity, if she’s a motivated learner. The universities nearby provide additional opportunity for academic extracurricular programs.

4 seasons, but a long, hot summer and short, mild winter. I dreaded winter in the NE, and much prefer the seasons here. We have green all year long, not months of gray.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Check out how NC schools rate at
https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Old 08-09-2019, 10:34 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
If it were me I'd do what it takes to let your child finish high school where she is. Maybe get a second job if necessary, downsize to something smaller, whatever it takes. Hell you could probably foreclose and it would take a couple years.

I'm not saying this because I think the schools here are subpar, I'm saying it cause there's always a way to make it happen if you really want.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:56 AM

498 posts, read 854,186 times
Sounds like your daughter would really fit into the Forge in west Cary (though it will move at some point). It is an open innovative tech space for families and includes lots of robotics as well as 3D printers, a laser cutter, CNC machines, tools, and lots of graphics software to run all that. https://theforgeinitiative.org/

My mom and I moved here from San Diego after my dad died 31 years ago. She chose the area due to the lower cost of living and three universities and rightly concluded the colleges would provide many free or low cost programs and opportunities, as well as contribute to a highly educated population.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:04 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
Flights to New York are usually about $150 to Newark and $180 to LGA/JFK. It sounds like you really like where you live except the cost of living. It would definitely be a huge adjustment for you if finances are the only reason you're moving.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:17 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Also, if you move into one of the coveted Western Wake county school districts, admission to the local universities is cutthroat with many highly qualified students being wait listed or rejected from UNC or NC State.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Uh...Bo....I think there is an element of the "cougar" label you may be unaware of/overlooking in this response.

Although...Cougar is the mascot for Apex High School and I believe they do still have AOIT for her son so hey...
I don't know what AOIT is, but yes, I completely forgot that half the cougar equation is the younger man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary